First Ever Nebraska BF Conference

Incorrigible1

I would be remiss not to post this info.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/hastings-to-host-first-ever-nebraska-bigfoot-conference-this-weekend/article_3aabb2c6-ace6-5054-a8b7-2eae00f42f92.html

HASTINGS, Nebraska — Bigfoot believers, rejoice: you won’t have to drive to the Pacific Northwest or Oklahoma any longer for a seminar on sasquatch.

That’s because a long-time “bigfooter” from Hastings, Harriett McFeely, is organizing a hometown hoedown on the hairy hominoids.

This weekend, McFeely is hosting the first annual Nebraska Bigfoot Conference. She’s inviting true believers as well as those who place Bigfoot in the same category as unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster.

“I don’t mind skeptics,” McFeely said.

The Hastings conference begins Friday night, with a free showing of the Bigfoot movie “Something in the Woods.”

On Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., several speakers will relate their experiences with sasquatch, including a Colorado educator, Robin Roberts, who regularly takes school children on “looking for Bigfoot” field trips.

McFeely said that in 2014, she and her husband, Dick, saw a family of three or four Bigfoots in central Colorado during a midnight encounter on a camping trip with Roberts.

“She always talks to them,” McFeely said of the Colorado woman. “She called them, and they came down ...’hey guys, we’re here.’ ”

“It was the weirdest feeling I’ve ever had in my life,” McFeely said. “They were standing in a line, in a row, looking at us. And we were standing looking at them. Nobody was afraid, and they never, ever threatened us.”

McFeely, a 71-year-old retired caregiver, described the adults as 8 to 10 feet tall, with broad shoulders, covered in dark brown or black hair, with large red eyes as big as “golf balls.” One or two juveniles, about 5 feet tall, were with the adults.

McFeely said she has been interested in sasquatch since reading that Sir Edmund Hillary, on his historic climb up Mount Everest in 1953, reported seeing large footprints in the snow.

About five years ago, she said she and Dick began attending Bigfoot events, including the Honobia Bigfoot Festival and Sasquatch Convention, which drew 4,000 people to a small town in southeast Oklahoma last year.

After driving 1,000 miles to another Bigfoot event, McFeely said her husband suggested the couple could avoid the tiring drives by organizing a festival of their own.

McFeely said that despite her husband’s death last year, she has forged ahead with the help of her Bigfoot research group, which has five female members. She calls the group the “Bigfoot Crossroads of America.”

To sasquatch cynics, she said, “Come (to the conference), with an open mind.”

“If you have a lot of information, then you can make a much better judgment,” McFeely said.

But, she was asked, if Bigfoots readily respond to calls and will come out in the open, why don’t more people see them, why aren’t there good photographs, and why isn’t it widely accepted that they exist?

McFeely said she didn’t want to disclose the location of the Bigfoot family in Colorado for fear that someone would harm them. She said she doesn’t own a good camera, and her sighting was around midnight. The animals are nocturnal and are masters at hiding, she added, and can hear approaching danger from long distances.

McFeely explained it this way: A California friend once asked her if she ever went to Omaha, and if she knew who Warren Buffett was? Sure, she responded. But when she was asked if she’d ever seen him, she had to say “no.”

“That’s the way Bigfoot is,” McFeely said.

She said that Nebraska has all of the habitat requirements for Bigfoots and that the best places to find them are in wooded areas along streams and rivers.

In 2013, McFeely said she investigated a Bigfoot sighting by a 15-year-old boy driving in the predawn hours on a country road near Linwood, Nebraska.

She said she wasn’t able to investigate until weeks after the report, but she found five different “arches” made from tree saplings that she maintained are commonly made by Bigfoots for some unknown reason, possibly to mark their territory.

“I have no doubt in my mind it was true,” McFeely said of the Linwood sighting.

She said she has been deluged by phone calls and emails since word started to spread about the first-ever sasquatch conference in Nebraska. The hall she has rented at the C3 Hotel in Hastings holds 400 people, but McFeely said she has no idea how many bigfooters might attend.

“If we break even, it will be a miracle,” she said.

Admission is $10 on Saturday. For more information, go to bigfootcrossroads.org.

D'OH! AHEM< I was more thinking that you were remiss in saying that secretly you want to attend the, um, conference perhaps? Of course it would probably be close to being the largest remiss ever but then stranger things have happened........I would think. I will be most diligently watching for the Kansas City Lady fodder though ;)

BFF Patron

Hummm.      Having seen the Nebraska state forest from the air, I think it would be the last place I would go bigfooting.       It is a big square patch of planted trees.   They might be there but they are very rare.   

4 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Hummm.      Having seen the Nebraska state forest from the air, I think it would be the last place I would go bigfooting.       It is a big square patch of planted trees.   They might be there but they are very rare.   

Oh, gosh, SWWASAS. Ask our most learned report reader, he'll tell you Nebraska habitat is rife with opportunities. Gosh, lived here more than 60 years, and some hold his opinion in higher esteem. Me, I've serious doubts, except for the extreme eastern border, the banks of the Missouri river.

Edited by Incorrigible1

^^^ I went.  It was a fun time.  Not bad for their first attempt.

No one was claiming NE as a "hotbed of activity".  There was a lot of talk about nearby MO and CO.

There was one old codger from "eastern Nebraska" who - in the middle of a presentation- loudly proclaimed from the audience that he had a bigfoot walk by his sun room window.  He went onto explain that he opened up on it with a ".30 caliber rifle and a shotgun" blasting out all the windows.  

He concluded his story with a brief explanation of his 20 day stay at a local Omaha area mental ward and his lack of appreciation for the local, skeptical police. 

Took my 6 year old.  

Good times.

Thanks for the report, Slabdog. The Director of Customer Relations of the local paper is a friend, and I understand the big news of the weekend was a fire at BG & S Transmission.

Hastings.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, slabdog said:

There was one old codger from "eastern Nebraska" who - in the middle of a presentation- loudly proclaimed from the audience that he had a bigfoot walk by his sun room window.  He went onto explain that he opened up on it with a ".30 caliber rifle and a shotgun" blasting out all the windows.  

He concluded his story with a brief explanation of his 20 day stay at a local Omaha area mental ward and his lack of appreciation for the local, skeptical police. 

DANG, slabdog. That ALONE would have been worth the price of admission!

Um......his follow up story after he....uh...."opened up on it with a ".30 caliber rifle and a shotgun" blasting out all the windows"  was.....um.....unexpected? LOL