Cascades Carnivore Project - How Do They Miss The Bigfoots? (2)

masterbarber

Guest Starling
5 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Let me tell you one thing - that 'stolen valor' insinuation you just made?  For you to resort to that yellow-bellied suggestion just proves my point.  I'd love to give you an opportunity to suggest such a thing to my face.  True form of a keyboard commando.

It may grate you - that I have been decorated for valor - and you?  Nothing.  Want to make it interesting?  Say, ten grand?  Even better, a hundred grand?  No, you won't do it because you don't believe your own BS.

It's painfully evident you know nothing of for example, a "meeting engagement."  It's not my fault your inexperience shows - and it takes a blowhard to attempt to try to discuss something he clearly has no practical knowledge of.  I'm sorry you don't have any experience - sufficient to speak on the matter with some degree of practical knowledge.

To use your words, I find few things more tedious or vapid than non-outdoorsmen who by their rationale and comments demonstrate time and again their complete lack of practical, basic understandings of the outdoors.  And through some of the most ridiculous postulations posing as knowledge - take umbrage when they're called out on how insane some of their assumptions are.  There in fact is - knowledge gained through thousands of hours of practical experience - over some theoretical BS put out by a houseboy.

I disagree with you as you speak of things you don't understand, and try to fake it.  You don't know what a meeting engagement is?  Seriously?  You think a bigfoot "knower" as you put it is "a shortcut to self-esteem related social elevation?"

So it's our fault you have no sighting, no real means of every having one, you're even thinking about "self-esteem" which apparently hits you pretty hard - and its our fault?  Hey, if you have it, you have it.  If you don't - you don't.  You may be a professional cake decorator - and that's good - you know things I don't.  But I'd never try to blow smoke about knowing anything about decorating a cake.  

You like Monte Python?

"A nod's as good as a blink to a blind bat, eh?"

A lot of noise here but, true to form, no discernible substance  As has been pointed out, on the internet, I really could be a cake decorator and you could be a 400 lb bloke with as much military experience as Goldie Hawn in Private Benjamin. None of what you say amounts to an argument as to why this giant of the forest can't be filmed or photographed. Especially when you're claiming extended contact. State a coherent case or go back to playing at soldiers. You'd like me to say so to your face you say? Wow, issuing tough guy threats over your keyboard ... you're quite the captain courageous yourself :) Go back and read the forum rules before I report your post private.

I'm going to go with the poster who asks for some reasonable up close HD video. That likely would be impossible to fake, even with a whole lot of resources and state of the art tech. Until then your giant ape man is, far as I'm concerned, as much a figment of your imagination as your he-man posturing. The name of the game here is logic and facts not an infantile machismo contest. Which just makes you Quint without a boat.

Back to more of the obvious though: The reason there is a paucity of quality film/video/digital images of the animal is explained by the observed nature of the animal. Period. The end.

But if you insist, there is a high quality image that exists, we've all seen it, and some don't want to even acknowledge it does exist. There are reams of discussion about it here on this board.  The fact of the matter is, the images of Patty shock the sensibilities of many, and that is understandable. I didn't want to confront the possibility myself since the day it was released to the public. But it can't be avoided, for very long. It demands attention if you are serious about this. Some here are not serious, we know. 

16 hours ago, Starling said:

Dang, this thing can block an entire road lane? But it eludes the camera lens better than the coyest of coy engenues? 

I don't think so.

The thing is, I came to a stop and sat there with this thing in front of me for a bit. It was probably only a few seconds, but it seems longer than that to me. I had a camera in a pack right beside me, but several thoughts went through my head at once: This thing is 6 feet high seated on its rear and smaller creatures can take my truck apart like a pop can. I have to take my eyes off of it to fish the camera out of the pack. Its going to flash so I'll need to roll down the window to take the shot, putting me on the same side of the glass as it is... all of which led to me to conclude that simply leaving with no camera shot and living with the enigma might be a better thing to do than to find out What Happens Next.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WSA said:

The reason there is a paucity of quality film/video/digital images of the animal is explained by the observed nature of the animal. Period. The end.

Do you even realise how ironic that statement is given that is shares the page with someone who claims a giant bigfoot was sitting in the middle of the road, forcing him to drive around it?

I cannot think of any less elusive than sitting in the middle of a road. 

Edited by dmaker

I do!!

There is a thread of this topic and most of it is devoted to 'what the heck were they doing there?'

About the only thing that is really apparent that I can take away from this is that they are self aware and don't **always** hide like they usually do. But the why of this will be a thing I take to my grave.

Not lost on me, no. Is it lost on you this kind of sighting is reported like, I dunno, .00000003% of the time? And personally, as Salubrious explains in detail, the risk/benefit analysis can happen in a second, and the result is most likely always to be, "Ummm....don't think so." 

Let me ask you something Dmaker, and this is something that is germaine to this question, as it applies to everyone that thinks it is an easy thing to consider documentation over self-preservation. Have you, personally, ever had to contend with an animal (or even a human) in the wild that had the eminent capability of killing or inflicting grievous bodily injury on you? I'm talking about a true flight-or-fight episode. If you've not, I wouldn't consider you to have the relevant experience to weigh in with an opinion that really should matter to anyone.  Care to tell us?  

It does not matter who you are. You can have a camera around you neck hanging there. But when you come up to one of these creatures you forget everything you have that is around you. That includes the camera that is hanging around your neck or that is in your bag. You cannot take your eyes off this creature since you at total amazement.  This is why these gopro cameras are so great while hiking. You can have them close to your chest or on your back filming and if these creatures happen to step out on you  can have them turned on. Since at the time of the sighting most people do not have the process to think of taking a picture when they close to these creatures. Believe me it is not an easy task to keep your self at ease when you have a creature that is large that can easly rip you apart with one swipe. 

I like how people come here and say that how easy it is to get a picture of these creatures. Sure at a distance it might be easy but upclose you might as well be wearing adult diapers.  Your mind is not going to process that I need to take a picture of what you are trying to process at what you are seeing. It is just not going to happen no matter how prepared one is. Seeing a bear or grizzly might not be a problem since one is able to process that. But seeing one of these creatures up close ,No.

29 minutes ago, WSA said:

Not lost on me, no. Is it lost on you this kind of sighting is reported like, I dunno, .00000003% of the time? And personally, as Salubrious explains in detail, the risk/benefit analysis can happen in a second, and the result is most likely always to be, "Ummm....don't think so." 

Let me ask you something Dmaker, and this is something that is germaine to this question, as it applies to everyone that thinks it is an easy thing to consider documentation over self-preservation. Have you, personally, ever had to contend with an animal (or even a human) in the wild that had the eminent capability of killing or inflicting grievous bodily injury on you? I'm talking about a true flight-or-fight episode. If you've not, I wouldn't consider you to have the relevant experience to weigh in with an opinion that really should matter to anyone.  Care to tell us?  

I've not said that Sal should haven taken a picture. My point was that sitting in the middle of the road forcing traffic to go around you is about as conspicuous as you can get. 

No, I have not had to deal with an animal intent on doing me harm. I've seen bears in the wild, but usually from far away or their rear end as they quickly get away from me. I suppose you're a regular Davy Crockett, though, aren't you?

Let us just say that experience counts in these matters.   I've had my share of butt-tightening encounters out there, sure (bears, cougar, poisonous snakes, tornadoes and warm beer). I don't count myself to be special in that regard, if you hang out in wilderness areas ("Wilderness" defined as: Anyplace there are naturally occurring things that can kill you abruptly and without warning) they happen. BUT, I have never had the true now-I-am-going-to-die kind of encounter, thankfully.  My point only is, again, unless you've had at least one of those experiences, you (and I) are not qualified to judge how others should have behaved.  We should also defer to those who have truly had those experiences, because we sure as hell don't know what it feels like.  I can guess, but only that.  So if somebody who has been there tells me, "All I could think of was saving my own bacon", I'm good with that. I can't presume I would do any better.   

I'm not assuming it, he's telling us. And I could easily agree. You come within grabbing distance of something heretofore unknown to you that dwarves you in size and is of unknown disposition and intent. I'm sorry, you'd be in the market for clean shorts, same as anyone.  The last thing that probably crosses your mind is to seriously attempt anything that might provoke it to do you violence. There are some situations that defy calm reflection in the moment.  I've been shot at once, and missed,  but I'm betting that terror would pale in comparison to something like that. Get off your intellectually detached  horse for a second and really try to put yourself there in your imagination...only we probably can't. But try.  

Of all the encounter reports I've read, only this guy truly stands out as an exceptional case in this regard. All the others were experiencing true shock and terror, or were just too uncomprehending to make sense of it enough to act as we would want them to. He is of the ice water instead of  blood variety and a whole different breed of cat:

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=57053

Guest Starling
58 minutes ago, WSA said:

I'm not assuming it, he's telling us. And I could easily agree. You come within grabbing distance of something heretofore unknown to you that dwarves you in size and is of unknown disposition and intent. I'm sorry, you'd be in the market for clean shorts, same as anyone.  The last thing that probably crosses your mind is to seriously attempt anything that might provoke it to do you violence. There are some situations that defy calm reflection in the moment.  I've been shot at once, and missed,  but I'm betting that terror would pale in comparison to something like that. Get off your intellectually detached  horse for a second and really try to put yourself there in your imagination...only we probably can't. But try.  

Of all the encounter reports I've read, only this guy truly stands out as an exceptional case in this regard. All the others were experiencing true shock and terror, or were just too uncomprehending to make sense of it enough to act as we would want them to. He is of the ice water instead of  blood variety and a whole different breed of cat:

That's a great story, no doubt about it. But what I take from it primarily is that this thing was caught sunning itself out in the open. It's fallible...like any other living creature. And if one can be caught in a distracted moment like that, or sitting in the middle of a road, then their legendary elusiveness 'ain't all that' is it. And dangerous or not they're subject to the same natural laws that govern any other creature. Added to that...they're massive. So somethings definitely wrong with is picture. 

1 hour ago, WSA said:

You seriously believe that report? It reeks of fanfic. I am truly astounded that even you believe that report.

Ugh, please do me a favour and don't ask me to read any of that nonsense. I can't stand that drivel. I will never comprehend why anyone gives any BFRO report any sort of consideration at all. 

Edited by dmaker

• masterbarber unpinned this topic