Pork falling from sky

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

Yesterday several media outlets were reporting on a large package of pork, still wrapped in plastic, that fell on a house.     I cannot find it on the internet yet but suspect it will get there.   While such things might be shipped via airfreight,   unless an airplane explodes, there is not explanation of how the meat fell from the sky.     Normally such packages are in boxes for shipping too.      Anyway an interesting mystery as to how a package of meat could fall from the sky.     Anyone got any theories?     How about some secret government program was experimenting with teleportation and using a package of meat as a text subject?.   Pork and humans are not much different.   What are your ideas?   

Couldn't find the story to get any more details.

My guess, if the story is true, there's a simple low elevation explanation like someone playing with a trebuchet or punkin' chunkin' gas cannon.  

MIB

BFF Patron

Well Deerfield Beach is right next to a big patch of the Everglades.     Something that can throw,  human or otherwise had to throw the meat on the roof.   It is very unlikely to have fallen out of an airplane.     Airplanes are known to potty bomb houses but unless bombs are involved, blowing holes, they normally do not rain down cargo hold contents.     Then again the meat company says they do not fly their meat around.     The potty bomb thing happens when a lav dump cap or valve leaks,   blue airplane flush fluid leaks out of the tank onto the onside surface of the airplane, gradually building into a multiple pound chunk of blue ice,  as it freezes on the outside of the airplane at altitude.      Things are normally stable until the airplane descends to land, the outside air gets above freezing, then the lump of ice falls off,  hitting some poor saps house, goes through the roof,  and lands on his bed or something.     That has happened dozens of times.    Yucky!

BFF Patron

Could be a tornado.     Lots of strange stuff has fallen from the sky or been hit by airplanes.     I remember a story about a military airplane that hit a snake.      Apparently some raptor was carrying the snake to eat, and got scared and dropped it right in front of the airplane.   

Frogs, fish and even  hazel nuts fall from the sky. Certainly pork could to I suppose. . Water spouts are the reason obviously.

My guess would be a large bird, Eagle, Hawk, Buzzard perhaps, found a pack of sausage but it was a bit too heavy for them and dropped it mid-flight.

BFF Patron

Not sure any large bird could even get off the ground with 15 lbs of anything.      Even they normally don't try to fly with larger kills, but eat it where they kill it.    Owls leave a mess when they kill rabbits in my yard.    15 lbs is the weight of most small; to medium sized dogs.  

BFF Patron

Well maybe.    But then again, how did it acquire the package of frozen meat to begin with?      What worries me is the reports of a really big bird out there, unknown to science.  Someone on this forum claims to have seen one.    The Jameson Whisky ad comes to mind.  Some things are better of stored in your mind as myth when you spend time alone in the woods.   

21 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

how did it acquire the package of frozen meat to begin with?

Don't know, but several possible way. However, I just went back to the links and watched the video. This happened at night, around 4 in the morning, so to me that makes it less likely it was a bird, other than possibly a large owl. I suppose racoons could have found it, seems like a lot of weight for them to drag on a roof though. Possibly a bear, depending on what part of Florida it occurred. I just don't think it fell from a plane or dropped from a tornado/waterspout. I now think either a large animal drug it up there, boar coons can get pretty big, or someone tossed it up there.

Archived