Camera Question

wiiawiwb

I am inexperienced with cameras but would like to get a new one that is more than a point-and-shoot digital camera. I spent a little time at a local camera shop and asked lots of questions. I think I might go with the Sony a6000. It is mirrorless and thus is smaller and more compact than the Nikon D3400 which would be my choice if I went with a DSLR.

For me, the big issue with any camera is being able to focus the lens on a sasquatch if there are multiple branches or trees in the field of vision. I'll probably get the SONY 6000 with an autofocus lens just to have.  I'd like to separately get a fully manual lens and plan on focusing it like I did when I had a 35mm film camera years ago. For me, any opportunity of a sasquatch sighting would be within ~50 yards, and most probably closer.

1) What lens would be most appropriate to be able to manually focus on a sasquatch within that distance? 15-50mm, 24-70mm, 55-200mm, or some other?

2) Would using a "vintage" manual lens with an adaptor be a workable solution for having manual focus?

I'm new to cameras and their technology and use, as you can no doubt tell, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I just purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ300 before a vacation to Maui. Took upwards of a thousand photos in ten days. It is a small sensor bridge camera with f2.8 Leica 24X lens that maintains the max aperture  throughout the zoom range. Auto focus is incredibly fast and accurate. It will focus manually as well, and the small sensor provides wide depth of focus, meaning the camera can be set to keep everything from fairly close to infinity quite sharp. It does 4k video and allows 8k stills to be pulled from the video. It includes a lens shade and accepts 52mm filters. It is dust and moisture sealed. Cost is $599 from Amazon and I added a four year Square Trade Warranty. We'll be home tomorrow and I'll get some shots uploaded as soon as I can. I've been into photography for 50 years and like this camera so much it has replaced my Canon Rebel T3i DSLR and Canon SX20IS bridge, which went, respectively, to my daughter and son and their spouses.

Just remembered it has a post focus setting, where several exposures of each scene are made, each at a different focal point, allowing you to select the desired focal plane after the fact.

Edited by Airdale
Added additional information.

• gigantor unlocked this topic