How many members do we have that have actually seen one?

" I personally do not think their brain is wired to carry a thought process from selecting or fabricating a spear point,  lashing  it to a pole, and using it as spear to down a deer.   If it were, we would be finding artifacts they have constructed laying around "

I believe that they have a much simple solution to hunting and that is the use of picking up a rock and throwing it and hitting it's prey. Rather then chasing down and causing injury to them selves  it might be easier for them to stun their prey with a rock and dispatching it this way. Two different way of thinking and two different ways of survival where we live one way and they live their way. As humans we just have developed in a another form of survival then theirs. 

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

ShadowBorn:    I certainly cannot argue with that since that is what we find so far.    That is not to say that deep in caves or something they might do things we consider more human like such as storing food.    We simply do not know if such places exist and what they do there.    I recall someone presented with mice wrapped in dry grass, which seems to me like some sort of food storage process.    They must have cast iron guts to eat what they eat raw.  

I"d agree on all points SWS, If BF was capable of developing a primitive weapon such as a spear there's no doubt they would and as you said we'd possibly find remains.  The ability to run down and kill prey with their bare hands is nice and all but would be much more dangerous for the BF than throwing a spear or stabbing with it. Staying healthy and mobile has got to be a natural instinct for BF.  Things they do that may be appear as "intelligence" is most likely a result of survival instinct in my opinion.  

A philosophical question: If the Sasquatch ever did get to the spear stage, and the moment was right, would it ever use it on one of their own like we do?

Don't see why not, a lot of animals in nature are territorial and aggressive towards their own species for various reasons.   Mating, territory, food, etc

BFF Patron

We have a number of reports of fighting between male BF.   The reasons may be mating dominance like male deer or elk,  or territorial or both.   If such a tool was handy and such fights are to the death, then it would not be surprising if it was used.   I do know that they use branches or tree limbs for knocking.   It would not be a stretch to imagine something like that used as a club if it is handy during a squabble.     But I suppose that such uses are grab whatever is handy and use it.     The same appears to be true with rocks thrown.   The big question with a rare species,  if such fights are simply to drive off a challenger or kill them.    Logic would dictate that like bears,  such fights may injure but rarely kill.   We cannot know that but I hope for their survival that is the case.   In the case of humans, the last two on earth would kill each other for a can of soup.  

6 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

BF could full well know what a rifle scope is and what it does but I don't think so.    There are too many reports of people shooting at BF and they just stand there looking as if they do not understand what is happening at the moment.     We see little to indicate they understand technology.   I personally do not think their brain is wired to carry a thought process from selecting or fabricating a spear point,  lashing  it to a pole, and using it as spear to down a deer.   If it were, we would be finding artifacts they have constructed laying around.      Humans have done those constructs for over a million years at this point,   through several evolutionary stages as humans and in doing so we find constructed artifacts wherever we find signs they have been there.    Just the fact BF stack poles into tepee structures without some sort of lashing is telling to me.   Humans have lashed stuff together for 100s  of thousands of years they want to stay together.    And one would think if BF brains could understand the process,  they would imitate humans and do similar things.     We have no evidence they do.  

I know some argue that they really do not need a spear when they can chase down a BF on foot.      But if you assume that to be the case, you have to assume they are totally unlike lazy humans and always looking for a better easier way to do something.   Humans have always looked for a better, easier way to do things like kill.        Weapon development has always led human technical development.   We see none of that with BF.    Which pretty much makes my point about the way their brain is wired. 

They can run down a deer, elk, moose, or other food source with little trouble. Why would they need to craft and use a spear when their success rate is probably through the roof?

• Upvote 1

By the kills that have been found that cannot be explained by other animals. Like limbs being ripped off deer or stomachs being torn open but not cut by knives. The necks of deer or even elk or maybe even moose being twisted around and broken that has no explanation.

I mean when you see flesh that has been ripped apart by extreme force and not by teeth, how can one explain this. Can you imagine the strength it takes to rip a limb off a deer especially the back limb  as though it is a chicken limb. The tear that is in the flesh where it would take a sharp hatchet and a sharp knife to cut it off. Except the tear is all jagged like it was pulled off and torn off. I am talking about the skin and the muscle and all the nerves with the connecting tissues just ripped right off . where the rest of the skin just hangs to the side where you know that a knife was not used. Kind a of makes you feel bad for the animal that went through this if it was still alive. All I know is that I sure do not want to be on the end of a pissed off Bigfoot creature and be torn apart like those deer I have found.. Sad events

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

You know this......how?

Do you care to make the argument that they are hand fed in bed and never lifted a finger to get their own food?

Some people actually pay attention to those who do know. The BFs sometimes use our stuff, including tools, just maybe not how we would, and quickly discard the unnecessary. IMO.

BFF Patron
15 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

By the kills that have been found that cannot be explained by other animals. Like limbs being ripped off deer or stomachs being torn open but not cut by knives. The necks of deer or even elk or maybe even moose being twisted around and broken that has no explanation.

I mean when you see flesh that has been ripped apart by extreme force and not by teeth, how can one explain this. Can you imagine the strength it takes to rip a limb off a deer especially the back limb  as though it is a chicken limb. The tear that is in the flesh where it would take a sharp hatchet and a sharp knife to cut it off. Except the tear is all jagged like it was pulled off and torn off. I am talking about the skin and the muscle and all the nerves with the connecting tissues just ripped right off . where the rest of the skin just hangs to the side where you know that a knife was not used. Kind a of makes you feel bad for the animal that went through this if it was still alive. All I know is that I sure do not want to be on the end of a pissed off Bigfoot creature and be torn apart like those deer I have found.. Sad events

I am with you on that.    I carry a weapon but realized after my first encounter it would be little use stopping a BF.   Probably just enrage it.      So I keep the use of the weapon reserved for bear, cougar, and myself should I tick off a BF enough to not kill me outright.     Disembowelment is a particularly nasty way to suffer and die.   

• Upvote 2

I think a sasquatch could take anyone if it wanted to by means of a surprise attack. Having said, I would feel comfortable that a big bore revolver, or brush gun, could take down one if the need arose. I carry a 454 Casull with 360gr hard-cast flat-nose bullets and am  confident I could defend myself with it from an assault where I have a shot at one. 

• Upvote 1

^^^^ Yeah .. there is literally nothing that walks the face of the earth that hasn't been killed with "mere" .44 magnums, not to mention the .454, with proper ammo and skilled shooters.   Larry Kelly, JD Jones, and quite a few others have killed elephants with the dang things.    If they won't kill a bigfoot, bigfoot isn't flesh and blood.   That doesn't mean it is easy .. 4 minute miles are not easy but they have been done.  

But like you said, you have to have a shot.   You have to be able to see it and you have to have time to go through the mechanics of the shot.   That takes time.

I don't want to but like you, if push comes to shove, I will.   I have the crazy idea they know those things, that I'm not inclined to, but I can and would if pushed.   Their behavior certainly is appropriate for that "situation."   They don't really avoid me but they don't push as hard as Randy seems to feel he has been pushed.  Makes me go "hmmmmm ... these guys might know more than we give them credit for."  

MIB

Just now, MIB said:

^^^^ Yeah .. there is literally nothing that walks the face of the earth that hasn't been killed with "mere" .44 magnums, not to mention the .454, with proper ammo and skilled shooters.   Larry Kelly, JD Jones, and quite a few others have killed elephants with the dang things.    If they won't kill a bigfoot, bigfoot isn't flesh and blood.   That doesn't mean it is easy .. 4 minute miles are not easy but they have been done.  

But like you said, you have to have a shot.   You have to be able to see it and you have to have time to go through the mechanics of the shot.   That takes time.

I don't want to but like you, if push comes to shove, I will.   I have the crazy idea they know those things, that I'm not inclined to, but I can and would if pushed.   Their behavior certainly is appropriate for that "situation."   They don't really avoid me but they don't push as hard as Randy seems to feel he has been pushed.  Makes me go "hmmmmm ... these guys might know more than we give them credit for."  

MIB

Agree, round placement is everything but under stress it just doesn't always work out that way. That's why I'm of the notion a larger caliber bullet is always best for large game.