SRN- The Sasquatch Research Network

hiflier

OOPS! Sorry, NCBFr, didn't mean to do that. Basically the conversation came back with zero results. I had also asked about any unusual tracks leading in and out of caves, not just evidence of habitation- even as temporary shelter. The response was still negative although there were a couple of stories about roping down a shaft and stepping on a dead cow that had fallen in. I also asked about any evidence of bats being eaten and in the end learned an awful lot about bats and then did more research on colonies and birthing caves on my own as well as the White Nose Virus and cave cross-contamination by interloping Humans not aware of that disease and how it gets spread.

Amazingly enough since I started that thread, which was back in January of 2016, there had been only 16 replies but it has had 9,775 views so I think there was a lot of interest there. I have also read reports like a lot of members here about how loud some howls are that seem to echo across a valley or that seem to come from very powerful lungs and so had started a second thread on the site asking about cave acoustics. I was curious about someone in the mouth of a cave calling out and whether the vocalization was somehow amplified by the rock opening for someone listening from outside. I also wanted to know about how well someone inside a cave could hear someone outside approaching a cave. In fact, I think that was my first thread when I joined- 19 replies with 7,855 views to date.

My second thread was about searching caves after wildfires. 6 replies and 4,532 views. That thread was where I learned that caves after wildfires can be repositories for methane gas and therefore can be deadly to those unaware of that danger. I have to sat the cavers are a great group of folks and never one belittled my reason for being there. They were knowledgeable and very forthcoming with their conversations, understood why I was there, and said they understood why I was asking about these things. AND they were interested. As one member put it, they explored caves because they love mystery and so there was a kind of kinship feel in being a member there. They understood that it was my mystery and I was here seeking answers in the hopes of trying to solve it. I still check in there once in a while to say hello but mostly I just look to see if anything new has been posted regarding the one thread about any evidence of BF possibly using caves. So far nothing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have started my search for local people that might be interested in meeting up to discuss the subject of Sasquatch and then seeing if any might be interested in building a network for following up on any sightings in the region. It will probably take a while to get a good core of people if it ever happens. If it does then we will then go over the plan for a local SRN and formulate some ideas for the members regarding expanding into their won local networks to loosely overlap this first one.

I have started with an ad in the "Groups"  section of craigslist. If there is some activity and interest I may go with a paid-for ad in a regional paper. May as well get something going with a look ahead to Fall, Winter, and Spring. I am in no hurry either. If it happens it happens and it will do so in its own time. A very good friend of mine did the illustration and it is on the cover of my book, also on the title page, and again opposite the Table Of Contents page. Here is the ad: https://maine.craigslist.org/grp/d/sasquatch-research-network/6660887210.html

Edited by hiflier

HAH! Me too, Twist. I don't think a lot of people look at craigslist in the 'Groups' category but I will give it a month or a month and a half and see what comes of it. I do do what I say I am going to do and so depending on how this pans out over time I may run a local ad to see if I can hurry things on a bit. In the meantime I will contact a couple of folks that I already know of to see if there would be any interest in combining our efforts.

I may even see if whoever the BFRO people around here might understand and even be willing to participate themselves. Fortunately for me, too, Loren Coleman and his "International Cryptozoology Museum" is only 20 minutes from me so I could see if he maybe could see the benefits of such a plan. Never hurts to bounce the idea off of a well-seasoned, knowledgeable, and well connected veteran of the subject. One never knows what could come of it and even if it could get mentioned at some conferences. Heck, I'm retired so I may contact conference organizers myself to see if I could personally bring the plan to the public outside of this Forum. Might be fun to do.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

You can always rent a table at a conference, set up a display, and pitch your message.    Would cost you some but would definitely get you exposure to a lot of people.     Talk to people,  hand out flyers,   and that sort of thing.    The concept of people being invited to join an organization that does not cost you a minimum of a thousand dollars worth of expedition money to be invited to join, might be novel enough to have a lot of success.    I have thought about doing that table thing presenting my infrasound evidence because other than this forum,  no one has really seen it.  

Hiflier, I hope to see a flyer or some other notice of your group when I visit the Crypto Museum later this month. Glad to see  You and SWWSAS working positively on the idea of the Sasquatch Network (Squatchnet, anyone?)

7 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

(Squatchnet, anyone?)

Hey! Not bad :) Alas, Wolfjewel, I will not be able to meet you on that visit which I would have looked forward to doing. I will be hopefully in the PacNW somewhere around Port Angeles visiting an old friend that I have not seen in too many years to mention. Then it is off to a wedding in Tahoe and then through the Colorado Rockies as I make way home by October 1st. There are so many members here that I would like to meet in my travels but it would depend on who is around when I breeze through those parts of the country.

Lucky you! Have fun in your travels. What, no Yellowstone since you're kind of in the vicinity? Might be out of your way but worth it if you can. As Pat would say, stay safe, my friend.

36 minutes ago, Wolfjewel said:

As Pat would say, stay safe, my friend.

Thank you, WF :) As far as Yellowstone it was on my bucket list last year and during my 9 weeks on the road My spouse, dog, and myself stayed three days close to the West Gate in Madison Junction. And you are right, well worth the time and we saw much while we were there. All in all it was a great trip that include the Devil's Tower and other attractions in the South Dakota/Wyoming area before moving on to the Canyon Lands in southeast Utah. A trip we will never forget. This year it is "Puget Sound Or Bust" via the Olympic Peninsula and next year, hopefully, most of Eastern Canada.

Last year we traded our decades of tenting for a small travel trailer and now we are so spoiled but loving the change over now that we are in our Autumn years. Our Golden Retriever is now 11 and really digs his new "dog house". And we feel safer now when sleeping with the Big Bears. When you get to Loren Coleman's ICM tell him you had heard that there was a story about three Border Patrol guys that visited him one time. It is a good story. I guess they didn't actually see anything but there was a good amount of tree shaking going one time when they were out on patrol. 

Received three replies to my ads. All positive. Two from my area and one from a researcher in New Mexico. Not bad since it has only been 3 days since I placed those ads. 

19 minutes ago, JKH said:

Too bad you will miss this event, I'm sure it will be excellent, but one can learn a lot from Chris Noel for free, or a small price for his books.

http://www.bfro.net/news/townhalls/maine/tickets_maine.asp

I'm quite sure you will hear of experiences around the OP, they are all over the land out there.

Alas, JKH, that was in 2017. But I was on the road a year ago so I did in fact miss it. What I will be missing THIS year though, because I am again on the road, would have been only 20 minutes away: http://www.cryptozoonews.com/icc2018-x/  And I did in fact have some questions for Dr. Disotell and Dr. Meldrum.

Edited by hiflier

Oops, they are not updating the site as they should, but he is still worth a listen or read. I don't think you'll miss much from the two mentioned, though, JMO.

Enjoy your trip up here, the weather will be perfect.

Thank you, JKH. Gonna start off in VT at a friend's house for a couple of nights then head into Canada and across to Montana then up through Idaho, across WA and up through the OP to Port Angeles. Really looking forward to it. I told my spouse that I want to hopefully get up into BC and take a Sasquatch tour with Thomas Steenburg's outfit. Her response was, "We'll see." LOL. So many of you I would like to meet but I don't think there will be enough time.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on how this is going. So far, counting myself, there are now six people interested in the SRN concept. I am on the road still and sitting at a friend's house in Lake Tahoe. But these people all know I will be back in Maine around the 1st of October and so I am putting out dates for the first meeting somewhere around mid-October. Just waiting to hear back in order to nail down a specific day and time.

I would also like to add that I don't think any of these people are current BFF members. They may have never been BFF members for all I know. I am mentioning this because of something I said before about there being people out there who are interested in the Sasquatch subject and we have no idea who they are. In a way they may be the best candidates for getting this plan off the ground and I have to say their responses have been positive across the board.

Not too bad at all since my ad has only been up for about a month.  

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic