What backpack do you use?

wiiawiwb

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

One of the really good features of a Seek Outside backpack is your ability to swap in and out different bags.  Earlier this year, I got a Gila model (57L in gray) from them earlier this year and it's super lightweight. It's my day and overnight backpack.

A larger bag (camo) arrived yesterday that I had custom made by Seek Outside. It is a 79L bag with a tall side pocket which will hold a tent nicely.  I removed the Gila bag and put on the new one...in a few minutes.  It will be used for weekends. As you can see below, the larger bag rolls down into nothing and could easily be used as a daypack as well.

The largest bag shown at the bottom, with top lid and face pocket, has a 130L capacity and is used on an extended backpacks. All three bags can fit on the same frame, belt, and shoulder-harness system.  You just swap them in and out.  All three packs can carry as much weight as your legs can carry.

Gila.jpg

769052586_SOCustom48007.jpg

1346540534_SOCustom48002.jpg

1510891634_SOFortress6300.jpg

You just swap out bags on the same frame?

Yes, you swap out just the bag. You remove the one bag and slide on the next one all on the same frame, belt, and shoulder harness.  The only difference is the pack bag itself.  The really nice thing about that is you can have different bags that do different things. 

Rather than have to buy a day pack, medium backpack and large backpack you simply buy one of their backpacks then just buy a different bag.  I have an affinity for backpacks, so I have quite a few, but you could buy any one of their backpacks and then buy whatever other bag you want.

The only thing you have to be mindful of is they have two formats of backpacks -- breakaway and integrated. Breakaway is for hunters who want to be able to put elk or deer meat in a bag. They can actual pull away the backpack from the frame and the bag contains the elk meat sits on a load shelf between the frame and the backpack. The Integrated format doesn't allow the separation of the bag from the frame. Other than that, you can pick and choose bags.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I'm a big fan of Seek Outside backpacks and the company recently introduced a new fabric they will be using. It's called Ultra 400 also referred to as Ultraweave or UltraPE. It is a woven blend of UHMWPE and 100% recycled polyester fibers and is a new fabric that is ridiculously light and multiple-times stronger and more abrasion resistance than fabrics used heretofore. The pack you see in the video above is XPac X-42. I have a pack in that material and another in XPac X-21 which is much lighter but is not as strong nor abrasion resistant. 

Solely in the interest of science, of course, I ordered a bag in Ultra 400 and will be able to compare it to the X-21 and X-42.  All three of these fabrics are waterproof but the Ultra 400 is 8 times more abrasion resistant and 5 times stronger than the X-21, which is my current go-to pack.  Amazingly, it will also be lighter. With the new bag, the entire backpack should weigh in around 2lbs 12oz yet have a load capability of 200lbs. More than my legs can haul.

The bottom, with wear from abrasion, is always a weak link in a backpack but Ultra 400 should solve that concern.  The fabric also comes in 200 which is lighter yet and what some of the ultralight-geared companies like ZPacks are adding into their repertoire. Some people wonder whether Dyneema (aka Cuben Fiber) is dead. I guess we'll see. I'll report back when the bag comes in and have had a chance to try it out in the field.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm a big fan of Seek Outside backpacks and the company recently introduced a new fabric they will be using. It's called Ultra 400 also referred to as Ultraweave or UltraPE. It is a woven blend of UHMWPE and 100% recycled polyester fibers and is a new fabric that is ridiculously light and multiple-times stronger and more abrasion resistance than fabrics used heretofore. The pack you see in the video above is XPac X-42. I have a pack in that material and another in XPac X-21 which is much lighter but is not as strong nor abrasion resistant. 

Solely in the interest of science, of course, I ordered a bag in Ultra 400 and will be able to compare it to the X-21 and X-42.  All three of these fabrics are waterproof but the Ultra 400 is 8 times more abrasion resistant and 5 times stronger than the X-21, which is my current go-to pack.  Amazingly, it will also be lighter. With the new bag, the entire backpack should weigh in around 2lbs 12oz yet have a load capability of 200lbs. More than my legs can haul.

The bottom, with wear from abrasion, is always a weak link in a backpack but Ultra 400 should solve that concern.  The fabric also comes in 200 which is lighter yet and what some of the ultralight-geared companies like ZPacks are adding into their repertoire. Some people wonder whether Dyneema (aka Cuben Fiber) is dead. I guess we'll see. I'll report back when the bag comes in and have had a chance to try it out in the field.

How much did that set you back?

• gigantor featured this topic

I’m a ULA pack fan, but have seriously considered the Seek Outside packs as well. Definitely looking forward to your review Wiiawiwb!

10 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

How much did that set you back?

I bought the Gila backpack in X-21 and think it cost around $360.  The new bag (no frame, harness, or belt) cost $270. If I like it, I'll sell the existing X-21 bag that's on it. 

If a friend of mine were to start backpacking and only wanted one backpack, I'd probably suggest they buy the Unaweep 4,800 in Ultra 400 and call it a day. It has a 79L main bag, an 800ci pocket on the front, and gargantuan side pockets. Remove the stays and you're down to 2lbs 12oz and the pack will handle tremendous weight very comfortably. These packs were designed around packing out elk so they can carry heavy loads. This bag could accommodate a multiday adventure. 

If someone wanted one backpack for everything, but went on week-long hikes, the Unaweep 6,300 would do everything and serves as a day pack too.  My Unaweep 6,300 setup has a main bag that is 103L, 800ci face pocket, and same side pockets. That setup would weigh 3.0lbs in Ultra 400, which is less weight than most people's day bag, and the main bag rolls down into nothing so it is compact.

https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
8 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Anyone here have experience with the Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack?  

I don't, but have been looking at the similarly sized and priced Vertx Gamut 2.0 and Gamut Checkpoint. You are probably familiar... Apparently designed around SBR carry, they have a quick access yank tab which could be handy for insta-access to gear, "tactical" molle features that can be covered over (with zippered flap that doubles as jacket/shoe/whatever carrier) for the low profile, "gray man" look if city slickin, Concealed carry side access, soft body armor pockets and a pass through for luggage or as they call it, the Captain America feature--using using ballistic panel equipped pack as a shield! Sounds like just the thing for where you guys have been going! 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I don't, but have been looking at the similarly sized and priced Vertx Gamut 2.0 and Gamut Checkpoint. You are probably familiar... Apparently designed around SBR carry, they have a quick access yank tab which could be handy for insta-access to gear, "tactical" molle features that can be covered over (with zippered flap that doubles as jacket/shoe/whatever carrier) for the low profile, "gray man" look if city slickin, Concealed carry side access, soft body armor pockets and a pass through for luggage or as they call it, the Captain America feature--using using ballistic panel equipped pack as a shield! Sounds like just the thing for where you guys have been going! 

That sounds like the Voodoo Tactical model that we picked up.  Not a top tier manufacturer, but it is difficult findings small woman sized assault bags. It doesn’t take an SBR, but has a man external pistol pouch and a section for a ballistic panel.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 1:04 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Anyone here have experience with the Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack?  

Did you end up getting this or are you still looking?

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:00 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

That sounds like the Voodoo Tactical model that we picked up.  Not a top tier manufacturer, but it is difficult findings small woman sized assault bags. It doesn’t take an SBR, but has a man external pistol pouch and a section for a ballistic panel.

With Kifaru you buy the frame and bag separately. And you can size the frame to meet individual needs.

https://kifaru.net/store/frames/duplex-lite-frames-hunting-hauler/

My back is slowly healing and I have my eye on this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Did you end up getting this or are you still looking?

Yup.  

I haven’t broken it in yet, but it looks like it will be a great daypack 

B1B10209-CD84-43DC-8B5E-5DD729A83F7B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went out for a hike today to poke around a stream. I took the new bag out for the first time. I liked everything about it except that it was a bit slippery to the touch. After removing the X-Pac bag and replacing it with the new one and then loading it, using it, and otherwise handling it, the bag lost it's slippery feel. So it's a keeper and I'm pleased with it.  Here is the gray XPac X-21 and the new black Ultra 400.  Totally different bags altogether with the Ultra 400 about an ounce lighter. I'll probably keep the X-21 bag--for now.

Gila.thumb.jpg.db9b3198240390a2cf542e25440c4e7f.jpg1075818483_SeekOutsideGilaUltra4002.thumb.jpg.df3ac11818c6bf1e90b65700e306158a.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Used my Savotta Jaakari M yesterday (30L). Did great in the rain and hail.

20220416_153102.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1