What To Do When Confronting Bf?

georgerm

I have read stories of BF chasing people out of their range. Violence never seems to occur but the victims are traumatized. If you don't want to run what should you do when confronting Bigfoot? If this happened to you, what would you do? Are there any real experiences?

I agree, I think that running is the worst reaction one could have, it could turn into a game of cat and mouse. I'd say back away slowly, if the BF advances just keep going. If the BF charges, drop and curl up into a ball as tight as you can, keeping your limbs close to your body. You will probably come out injured if he decides to bat you around for a while, but it's really the only chance you have if one's enraged enough to attack.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited for bad grammar.

Edited by yakcam

If I ever have a close encounter with one, I'll let you know how it worked out for me. I really don't think one can say what they would do in a situation like meeting a BF. Who among us would have the presence of mind to follow a plan? I imagine believers would have a mixture of fear and awe. Hard core non believers would have a mixture of fear and confusion, trying to wrap their head around what they are seeing, knowing in their mind it can't be real. What to do when confronting a BF? Ask him to say cheese and get the picture.

Guest walkabout

When it happened to me, I held my ground and did not panic or make any kind of threatening movements, all of my movements were slow & deliberate.

That worked pretty well for me.

I agree, I think that running is the worst reaction one could have, it could turn into a game of cat and mouse. I'd say back away slowly, if the BF advances just keep going. If the BF charges, drop and curl up into a ball as tight as you can, keeping your limbs close to your body. You will probably come out injured if he decides to bat you around for a while, but it's really the only chance you have if one's enraged enough to attack.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited for bad grammar.

I don't think you can use the tactics needed when confronted by a bear as an example of what to do if you meet an angry bigfoot.

As far a I know, there haven't been any reports of anyone getting attacked by a sasquatch/bigfoot. If there are, I would like to see them.

Most reports have the creature moving or running away from the human.

I would suggest doing what you might do if encountering a bear, or what researchers do when encountering large primates (i.e., gorillas, orangs). I am going to try to walk toward it if I can at a quick pace.

Guest Yeti1974

I used to read books on apes, so maybe I should check them again before I speak.

But I distinctly remember that showing teeth is a sign of aggression...can anyone confirm this? (Thus, NOT SMILING, or gritting your teeth in fright, would be good things.)

As hard as this may seem in the heat of the moment, but perhaps not staring at the animal might help it relax. Acting casually, and occasionally looking in other directions, might show it that it has less to fear from you.

Sitting down?

BFF Patron

Numero uno, don't know of anybody who has confronted BF or Sasquatch deliberately and got a good view, but I did station myself in a location I had learned might very well produce an encounter at night. When confronted, I initially dropped back to higher ground and a better view; I then sat still, stopped, looked, listened, smelled and took many deep breaths and said many prayers as I was approached :lol:

Also, when closed upon by the not-so-tall but hunched over Boss, I resorted to use of peripheral vision only. Funny, but the sasquatch-like creature seemed to use the same tact always keeping it's left shoulder perpindicular to me at close-range in the foreground.

Edited by bipedalist

When it happened to me, I held my ground and did not panic or make any kind of threatening movements, all of my movements were slow & deliberate.

That worked pretty well for me.

Probably this /\. Slow and deliberate movements are always good. I think walkabout has the best strategy.

Yeah, I know I always say I'd start moving at a high rate of speed the other way but for me, it depends on the distance.

If it came out of like the bushes or something 10 feet away from me and surprised me I'd probably run to get away from it, or shoot it.

Now if we're talking a little further away, like 20-50 yards I would probably just stand there and stare at it like "WTF, is that a guy in a suit?". I would definately have my sidearm at the ready but wouldn't think of harming it unless it tried to get me. Maybe try to get a picture with my phone if I had it, or move a little closer. Maybe.

At night the rules change for me...

Guest walkabout

Probably this /\. Slow and deliberate movements are always good. I think walkabout has the best strategy.

Yeah, I know I always say I'd start moving at a high rate of speed the other way but for me, it depends on the distance.

If it came out of like the bushes or something 10 feet away from me and surprised me I'd probably run to get away from it, or shoot it.

Now if we're talking a little further away, like 20-50 yards I would probably just stand there and stare at it like "WTF, is that a guy in a suit?". I would definately have my sidearm at the ready but wouldn't think of harming it unless it tried to get me. Maybe try to get a picture with my phone if I had it, or move a little closer. Maybe.

At night the rules change for me...

My encounter was at night, albeit under full moon conditions and the squatch was about 40 feet away.

For whatever the reason, I didn't feel threatened.

As I said all of my movements were very slow & deliberate and I made sure it could see that I had nothing in my hands.

It never challenged or charged at me, it actually wound up ducking behind a tree and I wound up losing sight of it shortly thereafter.

I'ld faint so I hope it wouldn't pick me up. I wish that I wasn't like that, but sadly, I have that in common with the fainting goats when stressed. Check them out:

I don't think you can use the tactics needed when confronted by a bear as an example of what to do if you meet an angry bigfoot.

As far a I know, there haven't been any reports of anyone getting attacked by a sasquatch/bigfoot. If there are, I would like to see them.

Most reports have the creature moving or running away from the human.

That's the tactic when confronted by a bear? Wow, I didn't know that. I'm curious, why don't you think that tactic could be used?

There have been reports of Yowie's aggressively approaching humans. Also, I recall that there's a photo of a supposed Bigfoot (blobsquatch) that was taken just after it knocked a guy to the ground? I think he was inspecting some land he had just recently bought, or something to that effect, I can't remember the exact details.

• masterbarber locked this topic