Field trips 2.0

BC witness

BFF Patron
On 9/9/2018 at 11:40 AM, Explorer said:

My last backpacking trip this year was to Kings Canyon NP in late August.  Did the Rae Lakes loop (counterclockwise).

This was not a BF research trip and thus I did not bring any audio recorder or thermal imager.

Nonetheless, I always kept my eyes and ears open for BF evidence given that BF presence was detected in 1968 at Bullfrog Lake (a lake side trip from the main loop trail) per the BFRO report link below. 

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2876

This area of KC is beautiful and the Rae Lakes loop trail is so popular that permits are required and there is a quota limit.

So many people go thru this area every summer, that if BF was still present, we would hear more about it.  

I saw 3 bears during 5 days.  Mother and cub up the Bubbs Creek trail and another down Wood Creek trail.

On this trip, I finally made the switch from using a Garmin GPS unit to my i-phone using the Gaia GPS app.

The topo maps obtained with the Gaia GPS app are much better than the Garmin maps and the iphone GPS appears to be more accurate than Garmin (when I tested both together earlier this year).

The disadvantage of using i-phone is the short battery life. But I bought an Anker battery pack that can provide 5 full charges to my iphone. 

KingsCanyon-RaeLakesMap-1024x790.jpg

Lower Vidette Meadow.JPG

Charlotte Lake.JPG

Rae Lakes Camping Spot.JPG

WOW, Pinchot Pass named after Gifford Pinchot one of those original foresters that started out at The Biltmore Estate/Cradle of Forestry in Western North Carolina and much of Pisgah National Forest outside Asheville NC has that school of Forestry and George Vanderbilt to thank!  😊

BTW that BFRO url and sighting report of a 4 1/2 ft juvenile BF was outstanding, would've loaded my britches knowing what I know now if I were that 18 year old because I would have been thinking where are momma and pappa, lol !

Merry Christmas~   Happy New Year=  Seasons Greetings- 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

Spent part of the day snow shoeing. Found a pair of Bigfoot tracks. Must have been snow falling out of a tree. They looked good! In places the snow is as high as a four strand barb wire fence.

It was a work out!

A89F42DF-3F13-4679-9FE6-A99A2991C130.jpeg

18A66248-3A30-458C-88AA-47B00EAA4268.jpeg

C3840970-4773-4D9D-BC5A-8FEDF156B9CE.jpeg

E58503A5-17CE-43E3-A01C-57F586607D6E.jpeg

5F91BDFC-FC93-494E-BFE8-BED6C8EAA65F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Record snows in southcentral Alaska this year. Seems like lots of snow throughout the continent this winter.

My kids are visiting from New Mexico. They said they are suppose to get to 7 degrees. 1 1/2 from El Paso. 

We get this much snow normally but not this fast. It came November 1 and never left.

21 hours ago, Huntster said:

Record snows in southcentral Alaska this year. Seems like lots of snow throughout the continent this winter.

I read recently that the snowpack in the northern hemisphere is at a 50+ year high. Bad news for the Europeans living under "green" energy policies...

21 hours ago, norseman said:

My kids are visiting from New Mexico. They said they are suppose to get to 7 degrees. 1 1/2 from El Paso. 

We get this much snow normally but not this fast. It came November 1 and never left.

Mid October the temp was in the mid 70's here (northern BC), then below freezing a week later and has remained cold since. Not a ton of snow though, maybe 2'.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Doug said:

My step daughter and her family live north of Anchorage and she is feeling overwhelmed with the snow.  It is more than usual for them.

Over the years I remember storms or storm series (like the past couple of weeks) when we got dumped on, but most of those were spring storms. It's kinda' early for this kind of volume. If we get lots more or fail to get a mid-winter chinook (thaw), it will become a problem. I'm already running out of room to push all this stuff. 

The labor shortage and supply line problems are affecting it, too. I heard that 1/3 of Anchorage's snow fleet is down waiting on parts, and 1/3 of their equipment operator positions remain unfilled.

Our neighborhood would have been snowed in had the few of us with pickup plows hadn't plowed single lane paths through. We also had to plow out our neighbors cause the commercial plowers are overwhelmed.

I was hoping to spend time ice fishing this winter after my inside projects get caught up, but now that means using the pickup to plow out a spot to fish. That's scary. I can't afford to sink another pickup and plow......... :nono:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

We got another good dump last night, here in Coquitlam. 20 cm (8") two days ago, and another 15cm (6") last night, with more on the way. Starting on Saturday, we are forecast to get 1-2" of rain each day over the Christmas/New Year's week.

144125275_20221220_0832081.jpg

Edited by cmknight

Much the same at my place here in Abbotsford. The boss texted at 6AM to say we're taking a snow day, too dangerous to have 15 drivers sliding around in this stuff.

According to the news, we had 25 cm (10") last night, and the forecast is for another 15 cm (6") today. Unfortunately, MY employer is not as nice as yours. LOL

7 hours ago, cmknight said:

According to the news, we had 25 cm (10") last night, and the forecast is for another 15 cm (6") today. Unfortunately, MY employer is not as nice as yours. LOL

-38 C (-37 F) this morning in Prince George. Picked up a new snowmobile on Monday - it will not be moving from the trailer for at least a couple days yet!

2 hours ago, langfordbc said:

-38 C (-37 F) this morning in Prince George. Picked up a new snowmobile on Monday - it will not be moving from the trailer for at least a couple days yet!

That's what I do NOT miss about B.C.  Brr!

14 hours ago, langfordbc said:

-7 here not counting windchill. In Colville area today.

A7A4C967-F24A-412C-A2CF-B7BB88E18F04.jpeg

B6B0384D-D8F6-48C0-B106-7844FA01C969.jpeg

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic