Field trips 2.0

BC witness

I'm excited to head south and visit Skamania soon. Will be near some known hotspots and do some hiking and audio drops. It's the first opportunity I've had in a few years recording far from home. :popcorn:

Edited by JKH
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A guy on another forum said his buddy in Idaho owns an Alpaca ranch and has two large dogs that protect the herd.

He said his buddy told him that the dogs will occasionally go out and kill a wolf, chew it's head off, then bring it back to the pasture as a warning for other wolves.

I said that his buddy is raising more than Alpacas and smoking it quite a bit if he thinks two domestic dogs are capable of not only taking on a wolf pack, but can single one out and kill it, then remove the head.

But who knows; I am certainly no wolf expert, but I have never heard of any domestic dog taking on a wolf and killing it.  I've seen a couple survive an attack when the owner intervenes, but no way two dogs can take on a pack successfully.

@PNWexplorer, I agree that tale sounds wrong. The dogs may come home with a headless wolf body, but it's probably one that was taken for its head bounty, as mentioned above.

15 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

A guy on another forum said his buddy in Idaho owns an Alpaca ranch and has two large dogs that protect the herd.

He said his buddy told him that the dogs will occasionally go out and kill a wolf, chew it's head off, then bring it back to the pasture as a warning for other wolves.

I said that his buddy is raising more than Alpacas and smoking it quite a bit if he thinks two domestic dogs are capable of not only taking on a wolf pack, but can single one out and kill it, then remove the head.

But who knows; I am certainly no wolf expert, but I have never heard of any domestic dog taking on a wolf and killing it.  I've seen a couple survive an attack when the owner intervenes, but no way two dogs can take on a pack successfully.

It’s a thing. It’s catching on in the Americas. There are many different breeds in the old world. The Kangal is probably the most well known.

2 Kangals are not taking on 20 Wolves. But a Kangal is more than a match for a Wolf. It’s what they are bred for. They usually also have a spiked collar as well.

There are a number of dog species that have been bred to kill wolves.

Most of those breeds do not make good house pets, so they are not common in North America 

18 minutes ago, MagniAesir said:

There are a number of dog species that have been bred to kill wolves.

Most of those breeds do not make good house pets, so they are not common in North America 

Yes, there are numerous dog breeds capable of taking on a wolf.  However, the story that two dogs are able to routinely take on a pack of wolves, single one out, kill it, then be able take their time chewing it's head off to bring back to the ranch is pure fantasy.

Coyotes?  Sure.  I knew someone who had a pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks that would occasionally kill a coyote.  My mom raised them for a few years and they are impressive dogs.  But they aren't going to take on a pack of wolves and survive.  No domestic dog is going to.

Many wolf packs are much smaller then that.

I do agree however, the chewing off of the head and the rest seems far fetched.

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback when I was a kid, super smart dog.

In Africa they were used for hunting lions.

I also had a great dane, Irish wolf hound cross that was a monster

He ripped apart 2 rottweilers that attacked our neighbors old newfoundland dog (dog could barely walk, and my dog was his friend)

A year or 2 before covid hit, I couldn't sleep and went to the gas station/convenience store around the corner, it was 2:30/3:00 am, when suddenly we see this poor pit bull missing an ear running down the road being chased by a pack of coyotes.

The clerk called the cops who came down, but they never found the dog or the coyotes

Edited by MagniAesir
  • Thanks 1

Another afternoon trip, this time with my oldest son, Steve. We chose today, as an "atmospheric river" (read that as Biblical downpour) is forecast for tonight through Monday.

We went a bit further north and east from Mission this time, getting about 40 km off pavement before heading home just at dark. Steve brought his new mountain bike, so I turned him loose at the top of a long winding downhill stretch, and followed him down in the H3. He averaged about 33km/h (21 mph), and found the suspension a little too stiff for the potholed gravel; he vibrated for 1/2 hour after the ride, lol.

We saw no game or sign at all, and the only other truck out there was parked overlooking a huge clearcut at the end of the trail, so we turned around there to leave him to hunt in peace. Several km down from there, the road crosses a creek that I mentioned to Steve looked like a possible placer area, due to the mineralization in the nearby road cuts, so we stopped so he could shovel some gravel from behind a large boulder, to take home and test pan. I'll let you know if we strike it rich!

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Bigfooting and gold prospecting!  Love it!

I got started about 15 years ago back in Arizona and loved panning and sluicing.  Always got color.  Moved up here to Idaho and have never gotten anything more than a tiny speck of color.

Forty years ago, When Steve was in his teens, we had a placer claim that I had staked on the Lillooet River, about 6 hours drive from home, and we spent many weekends up there doing small scale mining. It was a lot of work, a lot of fun, and usually paid enough to cover our gas and beer expenses for the effort. There was a great natural hotspring just 1 km downstream from the claim, so evenings were spent soaking tired muscles while sipping cold ones.

We got mostly flour gold and small flakes, but my wife seemed to have the magic touch, and would often pan a grain of rice size picker.

Edited by BC witness
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wolf hunting today up by Priest lake.

Cut cougar, moose, elk, deer tracks. Found some bigger canine tracks of one animal but then cut some boot tracks close by. Probably Fido….

The Tamarack are all yellow and dropping needles fast. Very beautiful up there. Lots of snow in the Cedar crick bottoms. The south facing slopes had melted off a bit. One road had a blade working it as they had a logging job up there.

On the way back to Priest river we passed a Bison behind a fence.

A434FBA8-598C-4D4A-B351-244B1096EAAE.jpeg

57F90ACF-01DD-4013-B3F1-32D41D162B07.jpeg

CD89CBD1-EEC2-4481-9CC4-E58DD21075FB.jpeg

641727F0-2665-4608-95D5-A8395234B31B.jpeg

A06B65F0-0E07-40EB-A298-285936A2DF02.jpeg

A03B4E31-A1A3-41DF-9A67-EDE8E9105B8C.jpeg

CD7D6DA8-EE46-4A6C-BFF8-56AB937C7859.jpeg

7D8116DF-1FCB-43BD-AB9F-F3E5C9C2AC4E.jpeg

526D5596-DFB0-4E07-8328-B209A9B3A927.jpeg

• Upvote 3

On 11/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, norseman said:

Wolf hunting today up by Priest lake.

Cut cougar, moose, elk, deer tracks. Found some bigger canine tracks of one animal but then cut some boot tracks close by. Probably Fido….

The Tamarack are all yellow and dropping needles fast. Very beautiful up there. Lots of snow in the Cedar crick bottoms. The south facing slopes had melted off a bit. One road had a blade working it as they had a logging job up there.

On the way back to Priest river we passed a Bison behind a fence.

Nice. I think I'd like to give predator hunting a go this winter. Put a deposit on a 2023 Skidoo Expedition 900 a few days ago (expected delivery within a couple weeks) and I've got a rifle that I'm confident with to 800 metres or so. Do you use an electronic call? Any tips for a new guy?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, langfordbc said:

Nice. I think I'd like to give predator hunting a go this winter. Put a deposit on a 2023 Skidoo Expedition 900 a few days ago (expected delivery within a couple weeks) and I've got a rifle that I'm confident with to 800 metres or so. Do you use an electronic call? Any tips for a new guy?

I have not smoked a wolf yet. I was told moose calf distress calls turn them on. They are more cagey on the Idaho side of the line. 

So right now bud I am using a Foxpro electronic caller and a moose decoy. All bought from Cabelas. I would suppose that Elk would work as well.

Gonna go out again this week. 🤞🏻

Ive called in Bear, Bobcat and Coyote. Mostly with rabbit distress calls. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, norseman said:

I have not smoked a wolf yet. I was told moose calf distress calls turn them on. They are more cagey on the Idaho side of the line. 

So right now bud I am using a Foxpro electronic caller and a moose decoy. All bought from Cabelas. I would suppose that Elk would work as well.

Gonna go out again this week. 🤞🏻

Ive called in Bear, Bobcat and Coyote. Mostly with rabbit distress calls. 

Interesting. Never heard of using actual big game decoys.

Last day for Mulies here tomorrow. Was out twice today - lots of sign, just not around when I was.

Edited by langfordbc

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic