Field trips 2.0

BC witness

8 minutes ago, BC witness said:

I haven't checked, so I don't know. I think Alberta is the only other province with a population, as well as the Yukon Territory, and possibly the northern stretches of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

I found this.

IMG_1864.png

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 11:04 PM, BC witness said:

I haven't checked, so I don't know. I think Alberta is the only other province with a population, as well as the Yukon Territory, and possibly the northern stretches of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Alberta actually just brought it back a couple days ago... sort of... after an 18 year hiatus.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/alberta-grizzly-bear-hunt-to-resume

These siblings were on my road, a mile or two from home, a couple weeks ago. They're sometimes around, and I've seen some sign, but this is the first time I've actually ever seen them in this area.

thumbnail_IMG_0664 (1).jpg

Edited by langfordbc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, langfordbc said:

These siblings were on my road, a mile or two from home, a couple weeks ago. They're sometimes around, and I've seen some sign, but this is the first time I've actually ever seen them in this area.

By "they", I mean grizzlies in general.

• 1 month later...

Took family up to Priest lake today. Ate pepper steak at Elkins resort…. My favorite.

And then took the grandkids swimming.

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6555.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big windstorm killed a bunch of trees up on the ridge. At the ranch in Rice. My son is sorting logs for firewood vs mulch.

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

5 hours ago, norseman said:

Big windstorm killed a bunch of trees up on the ridge. At the ranch in Rice. My son is sorting logs for firewood vs mulch.

Looks like you need a sawmill.

20 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Looks like you need a sawmill.

I am still paying off the excavator! 🤣

24 minutes ago, norseman said:

I am still paying off the excavator! 🤣

Fair enough! One day I'd like to get one too. For now, I save my projects and rent one for a week every year or two.

I bought a Norwood 36 bandsaw mill last year. Embarrassed to say I haven't finished setting it up.

• Like 1

I spent last week on vacation in Rockaway Beach Oregon.  I drove over from Eastern Washington and was blown away by just how thick the forest was there!

There is no way you could spot a Bigfoot in the forest there.  One could be 8' from you and you wouldn't see it.  

20240911_124413.thumb.jpg.baf0a70efdeb6a42243b9bce281d79c1.jpg20240911_130821.thumb.jpg.360a3e38cacdd30f5ef1ce99cc68ad20.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

That's very much like my area, the SW coast of BC, which is "temperate rainforest", with emphasis on the "rain". When I took out a recent visitor to the Sasquatch Shindig outing near Harrison back in early August for a tour through our research area, she repeatedly remarked on how dense the forest and the underbrush were, and that anything 3 steps off the trail would be invisible. I had her worried that I'd driven off the trail, as she couldn't see the track I was following in the Hummer due to the overhanging brush.

• Like 3

When we had a "keeper slot" here in BC, it was between 1m and 2m, and I only ever caught 1 that met that, at just over 1m. I caught lots below the minimum, and hooked 1 over the maximum, but wasn't able to land it. There hasn't been anything but catch and release here for almost 20 years now.

What are the regs in Wa. and Ak.?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Is it in the keeper slot?

It used to be 4-6 foot. Not sure this year.

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

......What are the regs in Wa. and Ak.?

We don't have sturgeon in Southcentral Alaska. I don't know the regs for Southeast.