Jump to content

Field trips 2.0


Recommended Posts

BC witness

My buddy Robert has uploaded the 2 drone flights from last Sunday's trip up the Anderson and East Anderson Rivers. I admire his skill and endurance in  piloting these flights, as the wind was blowing quite strongly, and the temperature was -2C. My face and hands were numb by the time he landed each time. In the first video, you'll notice the difference in speed, into the wind outbound, and with the wind returning.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor

Starting this coming Saturday I'll spend about 5 straight days in the woods of Roane County, WV with a buck, doe and black bear stamp and my .30-06.

 

Camp has no electricity (gas only) and we aren't planning to come out for our time there unless we all tag out.

 

There's three of us on 300 acres and I was told to buy the bear tag because I'm almost certain to see a black bear on the property.

 

Ok, @gigantor and @BobbyO....hit me with the sighting maps which will keep me on my toes the entire time I'm in the woods (even moreso than if I was just hunting whitetails).

 

Spencer is the closest town with a Walmart and centered on the map below.

 

 

Screenshot_20201115-152426.png

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor

Here is the new class B I mentioned in my last post: https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=66224 I took a drive out today to give it a look. As suspected the report had details off a bit, if the site I found was actually correct. The road mentioned in the report was gated about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in and signed "smile, you're on camera" typical of private woodlots here, but scouting around I found this:

IMG_6462.thumb.jpg.f1e4b87a117aa0cfeb78b41343466ef8.jpg

And from May '19, with the sale sign still up:

195284123_ScreenShot2020-11-15at9_19_52PM.thumb.png.37f4b44fd9d540baebaed19dcead7803.png

Fits the witness' description fairly well. I was hoping he'd be out there plugging away at something or other but no luck. I wouldn't call it desolate, neighbors, main roads and traffic noise but if one got back in it might seem so. Still, it's decent habitat and is near a sizeable tract of NWR, which is where I went for a jaunt after. Bushwhacked a ways into hemlock/pine/birch forest to where it became a boggy/mossy thicket. Back out to follow up dead end old logging roads and powerline access ways til dark then stopped back by the aforementioned gated road for a few wood knocks, which I never do but it seemed suiting here--no response.  Saw/heard 1 red squirrel--another dead quiet afternoon in the woods. 

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
gigantor
19 hours ago, NatFoot said:

.hit me with the sighting maps which will keep me on my toes the entire time I'm in the woods (even moreso than if I was just hunting whitetails).

 

 

I think you're gonna be in a great spot. There is not much civilazation around there...

 

wv.jpg

 

 

spencer.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
19 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Starting this coming Saturday I'll spend about 5 straight days in the woods of Roane County, WV with a buck, doe and black bear stamp and my .30-06.

 

Camp has no electricity (gas only) and we aren't planning to come out for our time there unless we all tag out.

 

There's three of us on 300 acres and I was told to buy the bear tag because I'm almost certain to see a black bear on the property.

 

Ok, @gigantor and @BobbyO....hit me with the sighting maps which will keep me on my toes the entire time I'm in the woods (even moreso than if I was just hunting whitetails).

 

Spencer is the closest town with a Walmart and centered on the map below.

 

 

Screenshot_20201115-152426.png

Good luck, man!  

12 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Here is the new class B I mentioned in my last post: https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=66224 I took a drive out today to give it a look. As suspected the report had details off a bit, if the site I found was actually correct. The road mentioned in the report was gated about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in and signed "smile, you're on camera" typical of private woodlots here, but scouting around I found this:

IMG_6462.thumb.jpg.f1e4b87a117aa0cfeb78b41343466ef8.jpg

And from May '19, with the sale sign still up:

195284123_ScreenShot2020-11-15at9_19_52PM.thumb.png.37f4b44fd9d540baebaed19dcead7803.png

Fits the witness' description fairly well. I was hoping he'd be out there plugging away at something or other but no luck. I wouldn't call it desolate, neighbors, main roads and traffic noise but if one got back in it might seem so. Still, it's decent habitat and is near a sizeable tract of NWR, which is where I went for a jaunt after. Bushwhacked a ways into hemlock/pine/birch forest to where it became a boggy/mossy thicket. Back out to follow up dead end old logging roads and powerline access ways til dark then stopped back by the aforementioned gated road for a few wood knocks, which I never do but it seemed suiting here--no response.  Saw/heard 1 red squirrel--another dead quiet afternoon in the woods. 

Lol.  We actually did our first wood knock Saturday night. Not our usual thing, but like you...the area felt like it called for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor

No snow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
SSR Team

Here's a couple of seasonal specific maps for you NatFoot, and a seasonal combined overview.

 

No reports in Roane County specifically, but the general area around it has, especially this time of year and in to the winter it seems.

 

Green - Spring

Red - Summer

Brown - Fall

Blue - Winter

 

Looking at these maps again however, it seems like Roane County is some kind of 'Twilight Zone' as all the reports seem to go on around it :lol:

 

Enjoy, stay safe, and i hope you fulfill your tags..;)

 

 

Roane County WV Fall.jpg

Roane County WV Winter.jpg

Roane County WV.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor

Thanks @BobbyO and @gigantor.

 

Let's hope the lack of reports isn't due to the witnesses going missing/never returning! ;)

 

We actually owned a place in Elizabeth (also in Roane Co) when I was growing up. To the point made earlier - there's not a ton of civilization out there. Lots of remote houses on county roads and tons of old land owned by the timber companies from years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SSR Team
12 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

Ive got 1 report in roane, in Amma. 

Looks like several WV sighting reports are missing off that map.

 

Cool, share your map then please Skinwalker13 ! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
12 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

Ive got 1 report in roane, in Amma. 

Looks like several WV sighting reports are missing off that map. Is this the BFRO map or some independent map? If its indendant theres a few i can help add to it that were sent in to our team over the last few years.

Just let me know

Good man!

Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
BFF Donor
On 11/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, Kiwakwe said:

Here is the new class B I mentioned in my last post: https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=66224 I took a drive out today to give it a look. As suspected the report had details off a bit, if the site I found was actually correct. The road mentioned in the report was gated about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in and signed "smile, you're on camera" typical of private woodlots here, but scouting around I found this:

IMG_6462.thumb.jpg.f1e4b87a117aa0cfeb78b41343466ef8.jpg

And from May '19, with the sale sign still up:

195284123_ScreenShot2020-11-15at9_19_52PM.thumb.png.37f4b44fd9d540baebaed19dcead7803.png

 

 

Pretty amazing that it only took a year and a half for that pine on the left of the ingress to lose its needles. Prolly isn't going to make it. Good documentation, K.

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinwalker13
BFF Donor
12 hours ago, BobbyO said:

 

Cool, share your map then please Skinwalker13 ! :)

Sure thing, I'll convert our reports into a Google earth project and share them here tomorrow.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716
BFF Donor

@BC witness Cool drone photography! I love the perspective it gives. Surely makes you feel small in the vast stretches of wilderness!

 

@Kiwakwe Looks good! I'd like to poke around in that. Looks seriously wild.

 

@NatFoot Happy hunting!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...