Using thermal

wiiawiwb

Nowadays, some thermals have on-board recording limited only by the battery life which can be us to 20 hours (depending on battery pack).  Has anyone trying using a thermal unit, rather than a trail cam, to catch a sasquatch on video?

It seems many think they can detect IR.  I haven't seen anything in the literature to indicate they can detect thermal scopes or monoculars.  I wonder if these might work after night ops when we go to bed.

Some units may time out. Probably need to search which models do and which don't and if they all do then research why that is and if there is a way to override the feature. I think thermals may be set up that way for the general public in order to conserve battery life should they accidently be let on? Good thermal imagers are fairly expensive even to rent and yes, some outfits do rent them out.

The FLIR Scout TK thermal that I have will take up to 1000 still images or 4 hours of video. The battery is rated for 5 hours use before recharging.

• 2 weeks later...

I have currently put together an LDTU (Long Duration Thermal Unit) that I deploy to record over night outside of our camp.  The system can also do time-lapse like a plotwatcher pro, taking 1 image every second everyday for up to 20 days on a 32 GB SD, after further testing this is how we intend on using the system most of the time. 

I will elaborate further and include photos/specs in the coming week. 

Nathan...would like to hear more about your LDTU.

I'm going out this Thursday for an overnight in my favorite area. My new thermal will be on its maiden voyage and will hopefully have a busy night!

Edited by wiiawiwb