Jump to content
wiiawiwb

Thermal videos and buying a monocular

Recommended Posts

Explorer
5 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Explorer,  was your FLIR unit handheld or on a tripod?.

 

Catmandoo,

 

The images of me at 150 ft and the 2 guys at the lake were done with a tripod.  I actually backpacked a tripod into the lake area because I wanted to keep video steady.

The image of the cows was with hand-held unit.  I had to scramble up a granite hill to look down at the meadow, so did not want to carry tripod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb

Our efforts to get a shot on thermal help to really appreciate what Les Stroud went through when filming himself on Survivorman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caenus

I am a photographer, and let me tell you that bringing gear to a photo shoot is way different than photography in the field. Even doing crime scene, I literally had a van full of gear at the curb. 

 

That at being said, thermals will have to get a lot better before I spring for the cost. The thermal on my tank (when Uncle Sam let me borrow one for 5 years) Now that will get a definitive image. 

 

All I see thermals being useful for are as a gunsite or knowing “something is there”. I’m looking hard at the ATN line, but they are pricey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb

What else are you looking for?  "Something is there" works totally for me. With all due respect, ATN does not bring the full package of cost/features that Pulsar does at a $1,500+ price point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caenus
20 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What else are you looking for?  "Something is there" works totally for me. With all due respect, ATN does not bring the full package of cost/features that Pulsar does at a $1,500+ price point.

 

 

That is true about ATN, I have not put much research into thermal.  If I have the means to spend on one, then I am a “buy once, cry once” purchaser for important gear so I likely would go higher end than ATN. 

 

What I would be looking for is something that will give enough detail to know it’s not a guy in a Ghillie suit. The one Norseman posted definitely does. Pricey though, even the cheaper models. Out of my price range...that is a lot of gas money!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
21 hours ago, Caenus said:

 

That is true about ATN, I have not put much research into thermal.  If I have the means to spend on one, then I am a “buy once, cry once” purchaser for important gear so I likely would go higher end than ATN. 

 

What I would be looking for is something that will give enough detail to know it’s not a guy in a Ghillie suit. The one Norseman posted definitely does. Pricey though, even the cheaper models. Out of my price range...that is a lot of gas money!

 

Your not going to need alot of gas money with that scope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caenus
8 minutes ago, norseman said:

 

Your not going to need alot of gas money with that scope.

 

Yeah, I tried that on my wife already!  Lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb
On 9/12/2018 at 1:25 PM, norseman said:

This is the one I want!

 

 

 

I'm convinced the "best" thermal will vary based on how a person uses it and, most important, the environment it will used in. For example, the Triijon above would be a blessing if used in open fields. Conversely, it would offer a bit of a challenge used in a heavily-wooded forest. The FOV is only 7 degrees, its base magnification is 4.5x, it is very heavy, and it's meant to be used as a scope rather than a spotter. To its credit, if you can identify something, you'll have fantastic thermal imagery to identify what the thermal has discovered.

 

I think that for the areas many of us go, there is little to no chance a human is going to be out there, in the dark, and maybe even in a ghillie suit. If it's bidepal and sizeable, it will be a sasquatch, not a human. That's the benefit of backpacking into areas that are off-trail that others don't venture to go, especially at night.

 

Most thermals capture something whereas the Triijon will capture the lips moving which could be fascinating if money is not object. For that cost, I'd buy three Pulsar XP28F and use 2 on a fixed stand and one handheld as a scanner. You'd have much less area to cover with the handheld so you could focus more on less space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...