Weldcraft 30 ft Cuddy King

norseman

Towable boats keep costs down. A bigger boat like that would have to be considered a second home and moored. I wouldn’t consider doing something like that anywhere else in the world than Southeast Alaska.

^^^ Cool video.

I went into a bay like that on Knight Island in Prince William Sound; Copper Bay. The entrance is less than 50’ wide. We went in just before the slack tide, and it was like running a fast, deep river. We cruised it’s perimeter, and got out before the slack turned. Like the narrator of the video said, it was like entering a lost world. It’s about a square mile in size.

52 minutes ago, Huntster said:

^^^ Cool video.

I went into a bay like that on Knight Island in Prince William Sound; Copper Bay. The entrance is less than 50’ wide. We went in just before the slack tide, and it was like running a fast, deep river. We cruised it’s perimeter, and got out before the slack turned. Like the narrator of the video said, it was like entering a lost world. It’s about a square mile in size.

I've been all over the Prince William Sound and never was aware of that. But a course my ship would of been too big to go near something like, plus the fact we were too busy fixing bouys and hiking batteries up to mountain peaks where the navigational lights were. We did how ever while the hikes were taking place, we would catch halibut and cook it right away right there on the ship making beer batter fish and chips, the best!

I like Knight Island a lot. It was our favorite black bear hunt. We would set shrimp pots and eat like kings, then idle along the shore in each bay and cove on the island looking for bears. The very southern tip of the island is where we would always find both bears and halibut. The grasses always greened up there first. We’ve seen some real pigs there. There’s also a good 120’ or so shelf around that southern tip that attracts halibut in the spring. That’s where I caught this one while waiting for a bear we’d seen come back out of the forest (he never came out again, though).

C6C8DAD9-EF1A-4C7D-9CE2-29137982C98D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Nice!

You're very fortunate to be able to spend time on the PWS, not very many people know what a true paradise is. I've had so many people tell me how beautiful Lake Tahoe is(and it is) but tell them the Prince William Sound is 100 times nicer. Been through some wicked storms up there in the sound and out in the Gulf of Alaska rescuing fisherman, sometimes we would tow them back in if their boat hadn't already sunk.

Yeah, sometimes we cruise into bays and coves, speechlessly cruise the shoreline all around, and exit befire we even start to share the experience. The place is just drop dead gorgeous. And yeah, not many folks. It used to be even lonelier before the tunnel opened. If the commercial season was closed, you could cruise for days and see nobody.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, Huntster said:

Yeah, sometimes we cruise into bays and coves, speechlessly cruise the shoreline all around, and exit befire we even start to share the experience. The place is just drop dead gorgeous. And yeah, not many folks. It used to be even lonelier before the tunnel opened. If the commercial season was closed, you could cruise for days and see nobody.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, Huntster said:

Must be talking about Whittier! We use to go there in winter alot, that area along Vadez get a ton of snow compared to Cordova.

Yeah, I would occasionally work for the railroad in Whittier before the Anton Anderson tunnel was modified for automobile traffic. It was great! The fishing right in the harbor was fantastic, and there was virtually no boat traffic in the western sound. 

But out of all the communities in PWS, I liked Cordova best. Cordova and the nearby areas seemed to have it all.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, I would occasionally work for the railroad in Whittier before the Anton Anderson tunnel was modified for automobile traffic. It was great! The fishing right in the harbor was fantastic, and there was virtually no boat traffic in the western sound. 

But out of all the communities in PWS, I liked Cordova best. Cordova and the nearby areas seemed to have it all.

Totally agree, Cordova is the best!

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
On 9/30/2018 at 4:46 PM, MindSquatch said:

Totally agree, Cordova is the best!

My old ship the Coast Guard Cutter Sweetbrier. Someone put this slide show together and just happened to be when I was on it, I'm actually in a couple of  the photos. We would take care of the whole Prince William Sound repairing navigational lights and bouys. We would also rescue fisherman who needed help during rough seas. One of the most adventuresome time's in my life.

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, norseman said:

I just gotta ask..  from a BiGFo0Ting perspective.. is there anything gained by using a boat to access certain spots in Washington?  I've looked at the Puget sound area and it seems most places in WA are accessible by truck/car.  I don't see a lot of islands off the west coat in the lower 48.

Alaska on the other hand is a different story since it seems over half of their transportation is done by using boats or planes.