The Bauman Story

norseman

14 hours ago, norseman said:

I found this video.

I would love to do that ride, but not at night.  That vertical drop at ape canyon is positively ridiculous.  I would love to know how exactly the miners got to the cabin.  I know they had to use ropes to descend but I have a hard time believing they descended from the top.  

BTW, the narrator was a little off when he said something like, : I don't understand how a BF could not figure out how to break in to a cabin full of drunk miners".  I guess he did not know they were a bunch of ARMED, very hard men.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

........BTW, the narrator was a little off when he said something like, : I don't understand how a BF could not figure out how to break in to a cabin full of drunk miners".  I guess he did not know they were a bunch of ARMED, very hard men.

It just goes to show yet again that TV producers aren’t as intelligent as the average cave man.

C3E1A9BB-164A-40BF-9472-CE47FF441EBF.jpeg

Cool clip on riding Ape canyon, there Norseman! I'd forgotten just how lunar that area had become. I went to college up in Tacoma (UPS) and my advisor was a herpetologist studying the reintroduction of ambystomid salamanders in the blast zone.  Was it just me or does the night ride segment of that video evoke memories of the movies "Exists"? Lol

Yeah, I think I'd hold off from the night ride as well! It's a long way down...with my luck I'd swerve to avoid a frog, and oops! Off the edge to a rocky death! 

Edited by guyzonthropus

6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Animals sense impending disaster and run away. Only humans go towards volcanic activity and tsunamis to name a few. Can the animals detect radon gas?

It would make sense that pre-event frequencies in the infrasound range would be the culprit. My dog 'hears' thunder' long before I do. I know, I know, if I cannot hear the thunder how do I know the he does. I don't but after 11 years of watching him shaking at apparent silence followed a few minutes later with my own audible thunder? I am positive that he hears something below a certain frequency threshold. Infrasound travels long distances so I pretty sure my dog detects it. Probably the same for earthquakes and tsunamis. They all give off infrasound. 

BFF Patron

I have an infrasound detector.    It can detect infrasound from a thunderstorm at least a half hour before I can hear it with my ears.    So I am not at all surprised by your dog.     I recall reports of animals moving away from Mt St Helens before the eruption.     Not surprising because the USGS was reporting harmonic tremors in the mountain for days before it erupted.    Many reports of animals behaving strangely before earthquakes.     We are so bombarded with artificial stimulation that we pretty much ignore much of the natural  forces at play around us.    

Thanks, SWWASAS. Before that awful 2006 Christmas tsunami in Sumatra there were reports that cows began moving to high ground. It may not have been that they were intentionally moving to higher ground as much as they were moving away from the infrasound which in that terrain would have been naturally in the direction of higher ground.

42 minutes ago, hiflier said:

........Before that awful 2006 Christmas tsunami in Sumatra.........

2004. I remember, because my mother-in-law died that day.

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I have an infrasound detector.    It can detect infrasound from a thunderstorm at least a half hour before I can hear it with my ears.    So I am not at all surprised by your dog.     I recall reports of animals moving away from Mt St Helens before the eruption.     Not surprising because the USGS was reporting harmonic tremors in the mountain for days before it erupted.    Many reports of animals behaving strangely before earthquakes.     We are so bombarded with artificial stimulation that we pretty much ignore much of the natural  forces at play around us.    

Detector or microphone? How does it react to being outside?  How often does it have to be re-calibrated?  Trigger frequency? If you record, how do you handle the huge files?  The persons who work with infrasound have several terms about our environment: atmospheric sound zoo and atmospheric sound garden.  With constant and variable conditions, there is no anechoic  forest environment. How do you know what you are detecting?

The graduate students at the U of W, applied physics laboratory, are very good at making low cost infrasound detectors. They have taken really cheap consumer grade mics, modified them, placed them in PVC housings and ended up with functional and cost effective gear that is expendable. When the volcano blows, job is done. ( add sound track of Jimmy Buffett, when the volcano blows ----  bring rum ).

Unconfirmed reports preceding the eruption of Mt. St. Helens had the Terrans being very freaked out.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

2004. I remember, because my mother-in-law died that day.

A dozen countries impacted.  Estimated  230,000 human fatalities. Very few animals killed.

BFF Patron

This is a detector that uses an array that detects pressure differential.   It feeds into a computer for the computation and visualization.       The same principal that government use to detect atmospheric atomic bomb tests half way around the planet.    It records using software designed for recording earthquakes.    It will also record earthquakes.     Like anything you do not know what you are detecting but when the detected signal matches the thunderstorm you start hearing it is pretty easy deduct that it was the thunderstorm before you could hear it.   I bought it for BF infrasound research but it's lack of portability makes it only useful in a camp situation.   

8 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

A dozen countries impacted.  Estimated  230,000 human fatalities. Very few animals killed.

That is absolute nonsense.    For every human killed there had to have been many times more domestic animals killed.    Somehow I don't think all Sumatrans are vegetarians.   

BFF Patron

Are you off your meds or high?   You are not making any sense today.   

6 hours ago, NCBFr said:

I would love to do that ride, but not at night.  That vertical drop at ape canyon is positively ridiculous.  I would love to know how exactly the miners got to the cabin.  I know they had to use ropes to descend but I have a hard time believing they descended from the top.  

BTW, the narrator was a little off when he said something like, : I don't understand how a BF could not figure out how to break in to a cabin full of drunk miners".  I guess he did not know they were a bunch of ARMED, very hard men.

Interesting video, but not sure about riding it on a bike, lol. I hiked it a couple years before the mountain blew, from Duck Bay on Spirit Lake across the Plains of Abraham to the head of Ape Canyon. At that time there wasn't the washout they showed at the head of the canyon. I was able to walk up to that tilted fault block you can see to the left in the video. From there it was straight down into the canyon. Even then it was a desolate area. To get some shade for lunch we found a clump of vine maples covering a crack between boulders to get out of the sun. 

Oh and the narrator was also wrong about the naming of the Ape Caves. They were named after the Mt St Helens Apes, a scout group, who explored them in the 1950's. I know this because I talked to a member of the Apes about 25 years ago. That was a very fascinating and knowledgeable discussion about the area. 

14 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

I was absolutely stunned. That morning my mother-in-law died in San Benito, TX. She had no business being there. She was trying to run from the Grim Reaper. A few days before her death she wanted to return home to Alaska, but she wa# in no shape to fly. She died on Christmas Eve. 

The next morning the first snowfall in 108 years blanketed San Benito and the tsunami killed a quarter million people in the Indian Ocean region. It was weird.

SWWASAS, chill out.

About the 2004 Tsunami. A simple Google search on '2004 Indonesia tsunami animal fatalities'  is interesting reading.

I was curious about the Infrasonic equipment because I looked into the subject years ago. The high cost of ownership and technical difficulties with the equipment in the field were not manageable. I looked at the single microphone approach. 

Arrays have multiple sensors. They are connected to a base station via a telemetry system or hardwired. A small system that is hardwired may or may not have EMF emissions from the cable. That is why I asked about the cable type. Your computer keyboard emits a lot of 'noise'.  I check my personal electronic equipment for ELF, HF, VHF, ultrasonics, and magnetism. 

Post the name of the manufacturer of your equipment and I can get details from them.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic