The Long Walk

norseman

Just got done reading this book. Its an amazing account of survival in the most extreme circumstances. And something strange they encounter.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-True-Story-Freedom/dp/149302261X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540571957&sr=8-2&keywords=The+long+walk&dpID=51CUfy8StiL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

*spoiler alert*

Basically its about a Polish Cavalry officer that is imprisoned by the Soviets during WW2. He is sentenced to 25 years hard labor in a gulag in Siberia. Just getting to the camp many perish, the camp is a logging camp on the Lena river. He escapes with several others and they head due south through the tiaga, then the Gobi and finally the Himalayas. 

They encounter two creatures in the Himalayas. And the encounter is not fleeting.

• Upvote 2

I just watched this movie two days ago. Their trek over the Himalayas is not well shown as most of their companions have died at that point.

Mind PMing me an overview of their encounter? Not likely to read at this point.

Thx!

I also want to note that this straight line trackway is what we see in north America as well.

Skeptics will say its a hopping animal like a Rabbit or Deer or Coyote. And I have certainly witnessed those trackways as well. But the animal sooner or later will break out of its hopping gait and reveal its true identity. Plus usually each hop isnt a perfect copy of the last. And in some cases 5 toe indentations are found. If people are hoaxing tracks in soft or deep snow? I would sure like to know how. And at 180000 ft in the Himalayas? Sure.

63A55A84-6051-4E69-9441-6EFF5F8762B7.jpeg

1D220994-61AA-4914-AFE6-B81760621D6E.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic

Norse - You got me thinking about the straight line trackway.  I cannot think of any advantage for a bipedal creature to walk in that manner.  Patty certainly didn't walk that way.  I guess it is just another one of the BF mysteries.  

43 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

I cannot think of any advantage for a bipedal creature to walk in that manner.  Patty certainly didn't walk that way

There may actually be a couple of reasons. First of all while Patty's walk was strictly in-line it was pretty close for her size. One advantage would ne narrower trails in the woods. Another might be that it is easier to place the foot down quietly onto the ground- what is called fox walking- where the outside of the ball of the foot touches first followed by the rest of the outside of the foot before the heel and the sole of the foot roll flat to push off. One can perform the technique with practice but BF's may do it naturally?  

How does fox walking go hand in hand with a straight trackline? Hunted for years and never found myself walking like the trackline pictured above.

Thanks for sharing and the book sounds very interesting. 

The tracks are most likely human or known animal. 

Any self respecting ape would not live in that God forsaken place. 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

3 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thanks for sharing and the book sounds very interesting. 

The tracks are most likely human or known animal. 

Any self respecting ape would not live in that God forsaken place. 

Common misconception. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

How does fox walking go hand in hand with a straight trackline? Hunted for years and never found myself walking like the trackline pictured above.

Isn't that the point though, NatFoot? This isn't about Human hunters. But truth be know I would do that back when I was bow hunting (I was a still hunter) many moons ago. One foot in front of the other and placing it lightly while rolling from the outside of my foot onto the sole

I meant that I've done the fox walk many times before and it wasn't always one foot directly in front of the other. Maybe I was doing it wrong?!? Would explain why I never bagged a monster buck! :D

2 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Norse - You got me thinking about the straight line trackway.  I cannot think of any advantage for a bipedal creature to walk in that manner.  Patty certainly didn't walk that way.  I guess it is just another one of the BF mysteries.  

I thought Patty did? Krantz and Meldrum both proposed a different knee mechanism and walking style to explain the difference in locomotion. And I thought the single line track way was a product of it?

Himalayas

Also, look at the south side of the Himalayas versus the north side in the rain shadow. Very similar to what we see with the Cascades except East and West orientation.

407A7BA0-0F4F-4BD5-B205-82BC1EE4C9E8.png

20 hours ago, norseman said:

I see these in the Eastern Sierra's up on a  mountain close to 11,000 feet during winter and spring. They are straight line with far spacing. They come up from over a Ridgeline from the next valley over. Been seeing the tracks the last few years on this very dangerous mountain to even hike on, and why I haven't gone to check them out. Observing the tracks with binoculars from across the way and can tell that they're not bear or any other animal, except for maybe a Bigfoot.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic