U.S. Government Acknowledgement of Yeti

Arvedis

I somehow unearthed this apparently valid U.S. government document from 1959.  It seems to be an agreement that Himalayan expeditions searching for Yeti abide by regulations imposed by the Nepalese government. I am wondering what would have prompted this agreement by U.S authorities.

Politically in 1959 the U.S would have sought to influence China's neighbors as a buffer against communism. The CIA was actively backing a violent Tibetan independence movement against China. I'm not sure if Nepal was under threat by China at that time or what their politics of the day were.

But what does fighting communism have to do with Yeti?

BTW, I ran a search and did not see this document discussed elsewhere on this forum.  Apologies if I overlooked it.  I do see it posted on many other sites but no meaningful answers as to why such a document came into existence.

yetidespatch75-031_0090c_11-30591.jpg

Edited by Arvedis
  • Thanks 1

If I read it correctly, the document only acknowledges the SEARCH for the yeti, not its actual existence.

Edited by NCBFr

China certainly accused them of that. In Loren Coleman's book "Tom Slick,: True Life Encounters in Cryptozoology" He researched a lot about the early Yeti expeditions. China was convinced that the expeditions were a cover for watching China's missile launches. It is a good book for anyone interested in the beginnings of the search for the Yeti and the high intrigue that came with those early expeditions.

• Upvote 1

It also plays into just how expensive such expeditions were. Some with as many a 40 people including the Sherpas. It also speaks to how difficult and how it took to coordinate these expeditions and then expediting any sensitive information back to authorities. The bone smuggling of the Pangbok Hand back to the U.K. was part of it too so there was a bona fide thread of true interest in the Yeti weaved throughout these expeditions.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome find. I agree with the covert theory. I was told that the government position regarding the Yeti was oriental fantasy. 

BFF Patron

Unlikely an American document of U.S. Embassy if they are using Brit spelling of dispatch as despatch.

My gut tells me somebody cut and pasted a Brit doc to look like an American doc.

This was discussed on BFF 1.0 and I believe it is only accessible by premium members and likely docs and pics were pared  off of the posts by a script bug that almost killed the whole forum back then. 

I stand corrected it is on an archives.gov website but looks to be regulations for the search:  https://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/index.html?dod-date=1210

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/despatch

In the Oxford Dictionary both spellings are listed side by side 

Edited by bipedalist

I wondered about that despatch spelling too.  Not sure it is possible to trace but the english language changes a lot over time so maybe despatch was acceptable use back then.  The U.S did not even have an embassy in Nepal until August 1959.  They could have borrowed British templates since they already had a presence in the area (or is that too much of a reach?) :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I know up on the Cohutta WMA here in Ga the US Forrest guys I've talked too say they're letting a lot of areas go back to nature!!! I was hunting on Tibbs cycle trail up by the lake and they are letting the trail grow back over, even cutting trees down to cover the entry. All signs and markers gone. Several big trees have been cut over the trail for at least  half a mile in. I know this ain't spy s___ going on but I do believe the Gov knows more then they're owning up too about bigfoot !!!

Guest Razumov

It appears to be legitimate. From the National Archives blog:

https://prologue.blogs.archives.gov/2017/09/28/on-exhibit-the-yeti-memo/

The “Yeti Memo” originated with the Nepalese government about two years before the Americans published it in English. It stipulated that the Yeti could only be killed in self-defense and that any evidence of the existence of the creature had to be immediately turned over to the Government of Nepal.

Some interesting stuff on the CIA from: Searching for Sasquatch: Crackpots, Eggheads, and Cryptozoology

https://books.google.com/books?id=5a7GAAAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&dq=eggheads%20crackpots%20bigfoot&pg=PA51#v=onepage&q&f=false

content-3.thumb.png.6ec9b5c19fe81d01b9e4e15541ccd212.png