Put tracks on my Yamaha Grizzly

norseman

19 hours ago, BC witness said:

After driving tours using Polaris UTVs for BigFoot Hunter a couple of seasons, I'd pass on a Polaris UTV, unless it was free! He used a 6x6 and a 6 passenger Ranger 4x4, and we had lots of problems with them. Of course, they were getting major miles every season, and often with max loads. Drive belts, cv joints, and front diff were the most frequent repairs, other than the rocky trails eating tires like candy.

I bought that Roxor and its bullet proof. Real Dana 44 compatible axles, a small diesel and off road fuel. Its really cool. Its also over 3000 lbs. You could stand on the hood.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

I bought that Roxor and its bullet proof. Real Dana 44 compatible axles, a small diesel and off road fuel. Its really cool. Its also over 3000 lbs........

I'd never heard if them. Made by Mahindra? Interesting, especially in diesel. But that weight kills it for me. It's the swamps that screw you here in Alaska. The lighter, the better.

I love my Argo, and if I ever get rid of it, it will be because I'm upgrading to a better model (I'd like that!) or my off road days are finished, but I did want another rig. I'm afraid it has to be a light UTV for three main reasons; 1st, off roading regulations prefer rigs >1000 lbs, and 2nd, I need lighter/smaller because I'm set up to tow smaller rigs, and 3rd, they're comfortable for my favorite passenger (Mrs. Huntster).  Otherwise I'd go with a homebuilt swamp buggy again with Dana 60 fully floating axles, or a street legal jeep-style rig one can drive to the trailhead, neither of which appear reasonable to me at this point in my life. I need to invest more time and money into my boat, not an off road rig.

I loved my old Argo 6x6, which I had back in my moose hunting days, 30ish years ago. Great almost anywhere, except deep, loose snow. I high centered in that stuff once, and when my hunting partner stepped out, he disappeared into snow up to his nose! Once I helped haul him back aboard, we got out onto the snow behind the machine, which we'd compacted on the way in, and were able to get going again, in the other direction, but that taught me to avoid the south slopes in the snow! The track kit for that rig might have added enough flotation to keep it on top of loose snow, but those were expensive at that time.

It did haul out a lot of moose quarters over the years. :-)

I do have a story about my wife and I pushing it about 4 miles downhill to the truck along a snowmobile trail at 1:00AM on Jan. 1st, as it wouldn't start after our New Years Eve run up to a local mountain peak to celebrate up there. On inspection next day, it turned out that a screw had somehow fallen through the intake and jammed a valve open, so no compression. Easy fix, no damage to the valve or cylinder.

Edited by BC witness

46 minutes ago, BC witness said:

I loved my old Argo 6x6, which I had back in my moose hunting days, 30ish years ago. Great almost anywhere, except deep, loose snow........

Yeah, once you start pushing snow, it will get stuck. The Conquest and Avenger models have taller 25" tires and there are one 

piece rubber tracks avaiable for them. That is the cat's meow! Not cheap, though.......

I do have a story about my wife and I pushing it about 4 miles downhill.........it wouldn't start........

LOL.......I've got a similar "won't start" story, but pushing it out wasn't happening there. It was a passageway in the carburator that was blocked or clogged. It took me a few hours to blow it out, but I got it running, and we got out of there in the dark. 

• 3 weeks later...