Track identification

Guest jmbc

We live in a rural area, and see these tracks the last few weeks. There is another area that I saw today, but did not have a camera phone on me. Pretty much identical tracks, and near our lower well house, which is very close to our barn and our actual house. Maybe it's nothing, but wanted to post and ask anyways :)

No one, except our local wildlife (which can include bear, foxes, coyote, all type of bird, and occasionally a cougar), as well as our horse, and us, are in this lower acreage field, and no one would go down there barefoot; as it is covered in blackberries, and poison oak. The reason why we went down there, is to evaluate clearing the berries out. I'm a size women 7.5 foot, just to give a gauge of size. Thank you for any input.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Hard to say other than the fact I think that track has slid in mud. I have seen black bears and grizzly bears do that. But I do not see any toes in your picture. The ridge at the end of it kinda looks like a horse hoof made it. It’s not a cloven hoof like an elk or moose. 

The second picture it looks like I can see more horse hoof prints? A ridge in a semi circular shape?

To be honest, he's kind of a jumpy horse anyways (Arabian lol), but yea he does act funny when we have other critters in the yard.

We haven't really told our neighbors about the tracks, but of course since I work outside a lot with all of our animals and property, I'm always paying attention to tracks on the ground. And, that isn't one I've seen before.  

Yesterday we had several helicopters overhead, which isn't unusual in fire season, or if there's an S&R alert, but there wasn't anything like that. And, oddly our neighbor said I wonder what they're looking for. So, maybe they're noticing something, too but we all feel stupid to say we don't know what it is lol. Not quite time we see bear here yet.

My family doesn't think it's possible that the horse could've gotten into that lower yard right now, but he's kind of a houdini sometimes, so it is possible he was slipping and sliding in the mud, I guess...

2 hours ago, jmbc said:

I work outside a lot with all of our animals

Do you have dogs?  You have a lot of animal noses.  The nose knows.  The animals will freak out as in run for cover and hide.

No dogs right now, as we have birds we pasture, but we do have a couple of kitties. Several very friendly rooster, ducks, chickens, a turkey, etc...

The seem to alert at everything, and run to the barn. Even a crow overhead.

My father always had horses when I was growing up 

I agree with Norse. I see a horse hoof in the mud. 

8 hours ago, jmbc said:

To be honest, he's kind of a jumpy horse anyways (Arabian lol), but yea he does act funny when we have other critters in the yard.

We haven't really told our neighbors about the tracks, but of course since I work outside a lot with all of our animals and property, I'm always paying attention to tracks on the ground. And, that isn't one I've seen before.  

Yesterday we had several helicopters overhead, which isn't unusual in fire season, or if there's an S&R alert, but there wasn't anything like that. And, oddly our neighbor said I wonder what they're looking for. So, maybe they're noticing something, too but we all feel stupid to say we don't know what it is lol. Not quite time we see bear here yet.

My family doesn't think it's possible that the horse could've gotten into that lower yard right now, but he's kind of a houdini sometimes, so it is possible he was slipping and sliding in the mud, I guess...

It's good that your alert and always looking. After all, you'll miss 100% of the tracks you don't see. Maybe one of these days you'll come across some "hard to explain" tracks.

I grew up with horses and while I see a slide mark I don’t see the build up of dirt where the hoof front would have been building up dirt.  I’m not saying it’s not a hoof slide but it’s not what I’d expect to see.  

18 minutes ago, Twist said:

I grew up with horses and while I see a slide mark I don’t see the build up of dirt where the hoof front would have been building up dirt.  I’m not saying it’s not a hoof slide but it’s not what I’d expect to see.  

Its not deep. But in the second photo I can see semi circular hoof prints in front of the slide mark.

I do see that upon further inspection and it’s certainly possible it’s a hoof slide, especially if the ground is somewhat frozen.  I guess it just doesn’t scream immediately to me, hoof slide. 

1 hour ago, Twist said:

I do see that upon further inspection and it’s certainly possible it’s a hoof slide, especially if the ground is somewhat frozen.  I guess it just doesn’t scream immediately to me, hoof slide. 

I mean the next step. In the second picture? Maybe a couple of feet forward? Do you see what I’m looking at? That’s a pretty good semi circular divot..... no slide.

And maybe another in front of that.

Jmbc

One way to see what these tracks may be is to place survey flags where you believe the heel of the tracks may be.  If you see a inline track at around 40" - 70 "  heel to heel spread you can assume that it was done by these creatures. But if you see an off set with in the track then you can assume that it could of have been made by a horse that has that dog tracking.These creatures have a very distinct track spore. You will know it when you see one and some times you will not find them unless they want you to find their tracks. They are not sloppy creatures and know how to evade when not wanting to be found. So they will hide their tracks so that they may not be tracked. That is if they do not want to be tracked. Now this is the opinion of myself and may not reflect the opinion of others on this forum. But take your time and learn what you can since I learned allot reading from Dr. Meldrum . 

Thanks for coming here to ask questions, jmbc. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks here. I think you should keep an eye open for odd prints around your place and read more around here about other things to look for, like structures, noises, missing food/feed etc. Welcome!

Edited by Madison5716

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic