Professional Hunter talks about his grandfather's BF encounter and his experiences

Explorer

2 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I have come to believe that the vast majority of humanity wastes most of their free time, free time being that not spent acquiring food and shelter. That includes virtually 100% of "entertainment", especially watching tv. Searching for sasquatch, even if only online, beats the Hell out of watching Laverne & Shirley any day of the week.

I got myself a 4 K TV last fall so I can review my thermal video and use it as a monitor for scanning spectrograms for vocalizations in audio recordings.    I don't really watch it much otherwise, my wife likes me to watch a movie with her every so often ( happy wife = happy life ). 

I believe you are entirely correct,  the average person who watches TV or plays video games for more than 6 hours a week is wasting their time and does very little outside that activity.  Netflix and Hulu do not qualify as a hobby or activity.  The human brain needs stimuli in real life doing real things to stay intouch with the real world.

2 hours ago, NathanFooter said:

Many times they blink a few moments and just stare at me and look like they are wrestling with some kind of response and that is when I ask them to tell me what happened. I have had many visitors at my table and gas pump.

Yeah, I have a story that I have never told anywhere except here. Mine doesn't involve a sighting, just something odd that happened, but I don't tell anyone about it.

SSR Team
2 hours ago, NathanFooter said:

I believe you are entirely correct,  the average person who watches TV or plays video games for more than 6 hours a week is wasting their time and does very little outside that activity.  Netflix and Hulu do not qualify as a hobby or activity.  The human brain needs stimuli in real life doing real things to stay intouch with the real world.

And that's a huge % of the population, at least here anyway.

Just sheep.

It is interesting how many of these hunters (who commented on the HowtoHunt youtube video), say that after their encounter they either stopped hunting, stopped going hunting solo, or never went into the forest alone at night again.  Some suggested that it was like PTSD.  Many said that eventually they regained the courage to go back hunting. I wish we had the real full stats from hunters who have encountered BF. 

I met a very seasoned hunter from CA, during a BFRO trip, who had a daytime experience while hunting deer.  He got so spooked that he stopped hunting for years.  Eventually he found the courage to start hunting again and also started investigating the BF phenomena.

I wonder if the hunters’ fear comes from realizing that they are not the top predator in the forest with their guns?  None of the cases that I have read indicate that any hunter got hurt intentionally.   There was one case whereas a guy ran into a BF and the BF pushed him back to get him off, and that blow took all the air from his lungs.  But I don’t think the intention was to hurt or kill, but to get the guy off him.  Moreover, there is no evidence that BF has killed any hunter.  These creatures can be fearsome and can scare the hell out of you with their loud screams and aggressive throwing of rocks and shacking of trees.  But if they really wanted to kill any of these hunters, they could have done it easily.

So on one hand, you got these hunters (who know the wilderness and forest areas much better than the average public and know the real wildlife dangers) who are scared of BF, and on the other hand you got the new age crowd (mostly non-hunters, who claim to be telepathically communicating with their BF teachers while camping in a group setting in the wilderness) who do not fear BF.  Who has a better sense of reality?  I say the hunters, but they might be biased in terms of their bi-polar view of the world (consisting only of the hunted and the hunter).  There might be 3rd way whereas these creatures are not interested in hurting humans (unless they feel threatened).

I am not eliminating the possibility of a rogue BF abducing or killing a human, but I don’t think that is a common behavior.  Otherwise, there would be a lot more missing hunters and near misses (with injured hunters). Unless you think BF is so powerful and skillful that he will never miss a kill.

On the other hand, there is the Dark Forest Theory of the Universe (see link below), that appears to be a bi-polar view of alien life and is based on a winner takes all belief.  I don’t this applies to BF encounters, because many encounters have been peaceful.  Nonetheless, I am sharing the link FYI.

https://medium.com/futuresin/the-dark-forest-theory-of-the-universe-a52012529e0f

“In The Dark Forest, the assumptions of life are this: living organisms want to stay alive — they have a survival drive — and there is no way to know the true intentions of other lifeforms. Because there can be no certainties of a peaceful encounter, the safest course of action is to eradicate the other species before they have a chance to attack you instead.”

• Upvote 2

I believe you are right. I do think the story of the Sasquatch jumping up to remove the hunter from his tree stand until he pelted it with cans of iced tea and then dumped the ice chest on it may have end differently if he hadn't had that chest of tea. He dropped his fire arm almost immediately because it scared him so bad. That Sasquatch acted somewhat out of character. This was also the case with the story of the tampon trail Sasquatch encounter.

Explorer

In my opinion I believe that these creatures have been watching these hunters hunt in these areas. The reason I say this is because most hunters usually go back to an area where they have had the most luck at taking or dispatching game. So, they keep going back in that same area never knowing that they have been being watched. When one day that creature decides to make it's move and shows it's self.It now has taken your comfort zone away from you.

Like my self I do not like to hunt on public land where others are going to be so I will go as far back as I can go where no one will be. This means waking up early and walking in the dark and getting to your stand before the sun even rises. Sure you have that fear that creeps in but I have learned to place it aside. ( By the away I am a bow hunter, Big difference) I do not like to carry my rifle and I only carry my shot gun during turkey season.

So, yes you do get this fear factor that when you are walking to your stand alone with just a bow you might not make it back.  But I place that fear in the back of my mind and keep on walking listening to music. You still walk out there with you a** so tight but you try not to think about it. Yet in the back of your mind you know that these creatures are out there hunting just like us. The most strange thought would be " Will I find that deer you just shot  today" Since they usually hang around .

It is like what he says in the video it still does not stop him from going out there and enjoying what he loves. As for me I love going out in the mornings and sitting on my stand and waiting for that sun to come up. Love to see that morning mist among the trees. How cool it would be to have a sighting in my tree stand in the morning dew watching one of these creatures breathe while we both have a moment. That would be just like this six point buck that laid right in front of me not even ten feet from me. As we both stared at each other while I held my bow in my hand on this ridge. It was just me and him alone on this ridge and that was the coolest experience besides actually seeing these creatures.  The only thing is I want to encounter them on my terms.

That is the thing about them that we do not encounter them on our own terms. It is always on there terms and we least expect them and when we are not ready. Hunters encounter them because they have this closeness with nature. We see things differently about the world that other people might not see. It might be because they are alone in those woods.Waking up early and coming out late and seeing things that regular people just do not get to see. We or maybe my self get to see what the great man in the sky has made, so I give him thanks. Nature is great. 😊

@ShadowBorn

I'm not going to read the entire post but what you explained in the first paragraph is not just for folks that just go 'into" public land.

Many of my hunts in WV, we went deep into private land, that we had permission to hunt (from the land owner).

Maybe the local BF knew we had permission before they started to mess with us?

SSR Team
12 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Explorer

In my opinion I believe that these creatures have been watching these hunters hunt in these areas. The reason I say this is because most hunters usually go back to an area where they have had the most luck at taking or dispatching game. So, they keep going back in that same area never knowing that they have been being watched. When one day that creature decides to make it's move and shows it's self.It now has taken your comfort zone away from you.

I'm with you 100%. These things like patterns and consistency, just like Humans do.

Here's another one anyway, real interesting behaviour description that we hear so much of within the Reports and we're even possibly getting pics of these days (recent WA Mt Rainier National Park pics).

Excellent post, Explorer. Lots to chew on there..........

15 hours ago, Explorer said:

It is interesting how many of these hunters (who commented on the HowtoHunt youtube video), say that after their encounter they either stopped hunting, stopped going hunting solo, or never went into the forest alone at night again.  Some suggested that it was like PTSD.  Many said that eventually they regained the courage to go back hunting..........

I think you hit it on the noggin with PTSD. That is a common psychological illness that follows most trauma in most people. I've suffered it so many times I have come to recognize it in my behaviors, but I can't seem to avoid it even though I know it's happening. Time seems to be the best medicine, along with awareness.

.........I wonder if the hunters’ fear comes from realizing that they are not the top predator in the forest with their guns?..........

I think it's more about the surprise along with the realization that they are potentially dangerous. There's also the subconscious realization that what they've seen has been recognized by our ancestors as a "monster". Even most deer hunters know about dangerous animals in the wilds like bears, big cats, snakes, etc, so we know that guns don't preclude the potential of being harmed or killed by dangerous animals, but sasquatches are a species that they never realized actually existed.

...........So on one hand, you got these hunters (who know the wilderness and forest areas much better than the average public and know the real wildlife dangers) who are scared of BF, and on the other hand you got the new age crowd (mostly non-hunters, who claim to be telepathically communicating with their BF teachers while camping in a group setting in the wilderness) who do not fear BF.  Who has a better sense of reality?...........

I don't accept the "telepathic" relationships with sasquatches, but I concede that benign relationships based upon body language can exist with them. I think that both a fear of them and an inquisitive, benign, and even friendly relationship with them are good, healthy senses of reality........as long as one doesn't take it as far as Timothy Treadwell did with bears. That was a mentality of fantasy even beyond that exhibited by charlie Vandergaw, even though Vandergaw lived just as dangerously. At least he knew he was living on the edge.

.........On the other hand, there is the Dark Forest Theory of the Universe (see link below), that appears to be a bi-polar view of alien life and is based on a winner takes all belief.  I don’t this applies to BF encounters, because many encounters have been peaceful.  Nonetheless, I am sharing the link FYI.

https://medium.com/futuresin/the-dark-forest-theory-of-the-universe-a52012529e0f

“In The Dark Forest, the assumptions of life are this: living organisms want to stay alive — they have a survival drive — and there is no way to know the true intentions of other lifeforms. Because there can be no certainties of a peaceful encounter, the safest course of action is to eradicate the other species before they have a chance to attack you instead.”

Interesting ideology. I agree that living organisms want to stay alive, and there is a natural survival drive (I've experienced it intensely in the moments before sure death), and I agree that the true intentions of other life forms might be hidden or disguised, but one need not "eradicate" the other entire species to ensure safety. First of all, screw everybody else.......it's about me personally. There is no shortage of other people, and other people represent the most dangerous, deceptive, and undesirable hostile life forces out there to me. And AFAIC, almost all other species are a needed life form. Even mosquitoes are needed by birds as food. We've eradicated the smallpox virus, I certainly approve of that, and I'd love to see similar microscopic critters killed off, but not so much after we get up into the insect family and larger.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobbyO said:

(recent WA Mt Rainier National Park pics).

Que?

13 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

When one day that creature decides to make it's move and shows it's self. It now has taken your comfort zone away from you.

That is an interesting insight. They will reveal themselves at times, this is clear. The motivations must vary, depending on the situation and humans involved, as Isdahl had deduced.

^^^^ ... agrees with interpretation of personal experience.  

PTSD, too.   And yet it seems like, at least for me, the cure for this particular PTSD is to dive right back in and do it again.    "Well, I lived through it, I better go try it again."

MIB

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron
4 hours ago, JKH said:

Que?

That is an interesting insight. They will reveal themselves at times, this is clear. The motivations must vary, depending on the situation and humans involved, as Isdahl had deduced.

I was a believer in what I consider a dangerous myth.    The myth being if you just go out and hang around long enough,  BF will trust you and eventually reveal itself.    The myth continues that eventually you could be hand shaking buddies.  One conference speaker claims just that.   My experience was completely opposite of that.   I think I disrupted their daily life so much that I may have put myself in danger of being simply eliminated as a problem.     I might have messed up deer hunts,  kept them from water,   or any manner of things I was oblivious to doing that bothered them.     Things got more unfriendly with each interaction and the last event was being hit with infra-sound.    I guess fortunately for me, clear cutting eliminated cover in that area about that time,   and they moved off.    We should always consider the fact that when we introduce ourself into their world, it might not be good for them.   To think otherwise is the height of human arrogance. 

• Upvote 4

SSR Team
5 hours ago, JKH said:

Que?

They saw it moving too.

tree peaker wa.jpg

tree peaker wa 2.jpg

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

They saw it moving too.

tree peaker wa.jpg

tree peaker wa 2.jpg

That looks like a cutout to me.

I see the facial features but my mind can't explain the mid torso. Seems too thick and no shadow of where the arm should be hanging down.

Forgot about this one though.a

4 hours ago, MIB said:

PTSD, too.   And yet it seems like, at least for me, the cure for this particular PTSD is to dive right back in and do it again.    "Well, I lived through it, I better go try it again."

(PTSD) No, I cannot deal with that. But to dive right into it again and again that I can deal with and that is the insanity about dealing with these creatures. It is like taking a big long line of coke and staying high on it and never coming down from it. You are always on your toes cause you never know what will ever come next since there is no clues that they give.  So as a hunter this gives you excitement and really gets your heart rate up there since there is some thing that can out smart you. You feel life in your soul and a purpose to live. Whether they found you or you found them it was fate and this cannot be changed. Your life is no longer the same that it once was. He has explained this very well where he just does not care what one thinks what he believes excepts for those who have experienced these creatures. I have always felt the same way as well except that I am not this great well known guide hunter. Never claimed to be and have always tried to explain my experience the best way I could.

There is so much more to this creature behavior that needs to be learned and understood. People need to speak out about what they have observed and have experienced so that we can understand this creature.It is all about how they behave around us as humans.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1