Examples Of Dogs Unafraid Of Bf

Admin

yeah I don't think it is a hard written rule that dogs have to afraid of BF

Right! I have read a few reports where BF was seen and there was a dog or dogs at it's side. Not many reports like this, but there are a few. However, this seems to be the rare exception though.

Would you mind if I share the story of my girl? My German Shepherd, her name was Cinder. She is gone now. She had a cancer that couldn't be operated on. She was given about 6 months to live in mid Summer. It was in October 2004, she was with me when we were out in a clearcut sitting out the day's last hunt. I was taking her everywhere with me because I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. Of course I had often taken her hunting with me anyhow. She was a superb hunting partner. (Never complained and didn't bark) She weighed about 90 lbs. I taught her to just stay still and not make a sound when deer or elk were near. A few times elk would come in within 10 feet and she had such a hard time being she was so excited, but she always maintained as I prompted her to not move. Anyway, after sitting for a while I stood up to begin walking back in hopes of seeing something on the way back to the vehicle. That's when the Sas came crashing thru the Timber from 300 yrds out on a beeline course for the trail back. Yeah I've told this story before. But this time its for my girl, to honor her.

So the Sas crashed thru the woods and cut us off on the trail. Ultimately we began walking towards him because I wasn't going to stay out in the woods all night and face my fate. This would be my 3rd visual encounter too. My girl knew it was there as well and that we were now approaching what had just crashed thru the woods. She was on high alert, but like when game came in close, she was very cued in to my words. As we got within 60 feet, she did give a slight growl as we could both begin to hear him breathing and slight movements. As soon as I calmly told her 'no Cinder, no growl', she stopped. Then when we had to go into a small gully and lose sight of him, when I told her to run thru it, (towards him), she listened then too and we were now only 40 feet apart with nothing between us. And so we both slowly continued our approach towards him as I then began talking calmly to the Sas. My girl was on my left side with the Sas on the right. I kept her somewhat behind me because I wasn't going to let the Sas at her if that was what he wanted. Yeah, he would have had to go thru me first. I would have protected her however much I could. He knew that too. You see, I didn't know if it was her that he was after the way he initially reacted.

Anyway, as we slowly passed, I could feel her shaking a little bit on my leg, but she remained calm. That was my goal through the ordeal as well, to remain calm. I could also feel her look over at him as well a few times. Eventually we got within 22' of what was initially a big angry Sas, and my girl remained calm and listened to me because she knew she could trust me as well. Of course as we began to pass him, I could feel her pulling on me more and more. lol Yeah, she wanted in the truck and she wanted in there NOW! So did I because I've never been so scared in my life either.

I loved my girl Cinder, we had an awesome connection in the woods the way she tuned in to what I wanted her to do. If I needed help climbing a hill, she dug in as much as necessary while I held her lead on her harness. She knew what that was all about too. I'm also sure she would have given her own life for mine if needed but that never became needed. I would have to have her put down within just a couple of months as the Cancer took over.

My girl Cinder walked up to and past a bigfoot with barely a growl. Hope ya don't mind a pic but this is a dog who has faced a bigfoot.

post-120-040383900 1309922176_thumb.jpg

Would you mind if I share the story of my girl? My German Shepherd, her name was Cinder. She is gone now. She had a cancer that couldn't be operated on. She was given about 6 months to live in mid Summer. It was in October 2004, she was with me when we were out in a clearcut sitting out the day's last hunt. I was taking her everywhere with me because I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. Of course I had often taken her hunting with me anyhow. She was a superb hunting partner. (Never complained and didn't bark) She weighed about 90 lbs. I taught her to just stay still and not make a sound when deer or elk were near. A few times elk would come in within 10 feet and she had such a hard time being she was so excited, but she always maintained as I prompted her to not move. Anyway, after sitting for a while I stood up to begin walking back in hopes of seeing something on the way back to the vehicle. That's when the Sas came crashing thru the Timber from 300 yrds out on a beeline course for the trail back. Yeah I've told this story before. But this time its for my girl, to honor her.

So the Sas crashed thru the woods and cut us off on the trail. Ultimately we began walking towards him because I wasn't going to stay out in the woods all night and face my fate. This would be my 3rd visual encounter too. My girl knew it was there as well and that we were now approaching what had just crashed thru the woods. She was on high alert, but like when game came in close, she was very cued in to my words. As we got within 60 feet, she did give a slight growl as we could both begin to hear him breathing and slight movements. As soon as I calmly told her 'no Cinder, no growl', she stopped. Then when we had to go into a small gully and lose sight of him, when I told her to run thru it, (towards him), she listened then too and we were now only 40 feet apart with nothing between us. And so we both slowly continued our approach towards him as I then began talking calmly to the Sas. My girl was on my left side with the Sas on the right. I kept her somewhat behind me because I wasn't going to let the Sas at her if that was what he wanted. Yeah, he would have had to go thru me first. I would have protected her however much I could. He knew that too. You see, I didn't know if it was her that he was after the way he initially reacted.

Anyway, as we slowly passed, I could feel her shaking a little bit on my leg, but she remained calm. That was my goal through the ordeal as well, to remain calm. I could also feel her look over at him as well a few times. Eventually we got within 22' of what was initially a big angry Sas, and my girl remained calm and listened to me because she knew she could trust me as well. Of course as we began to pass him, I could feel her pulling on me more and more. lol Yeah, she wanted in the truck and she wanted in there NOW! So did I because I've never been so scared in my life either.

I loved my girl Cinder, we had an awesome connection in the woods the way she tuned in to what I wanted her to do. If I needed help climbing a hill, she dug in as much as necessary while I held her lead on her harness. She knew what that was all about too. I'm also sure she would have given her own life for mine if needed but that never became needed. I would have to have her put down within just a couple of months as the Cancer took over.

My girl Cinder walked up to and past a bigfoot with barely a growl. Hope ya don't mind a pic but this is a dog who has faced a bigfoot.

post-120-040383900 1309922176_thumb.jpg

That's one of the most courageous accounts I've read - for both of you.

Guest TooRisky

Norse though admittedly the Europeans have a sick sense of fun, put a much smarter bipedal with thumbs on the chain and the fun will stop with those wanna be bear dogs broken and in the trees... Now take away the chains and let the BF pick the place, and the best of bear dogs will be no more if... if they corner the BF... Just saying, and the pine martin abides...

Edited by TooRisky

Guest BuzzardEater

Fearless doesn't equal stupid if you can back it up. I hate to ask, BuzzardEater, as I would rather be friends with everyone, but do you have something positive to add to the conversation, or did you just come in to troll? I welcome intelligent dialogue!

Sorry. I tried to make it simple. Fearless is not a good way to be in the woods. Fearless doesn't think about what they are starting up or with whom. Go ahead, let your dog fearlessly approach a large animal. Fearlessly follow. Or you could try to identify intelligent dialogue when you see it and glean some information from it...? For example, do you know of any fearless wild animals?

Fearless doesn't equal stupid if you can back it up? Are you serious? How do you propose to back it up? Based on what evidence? The numerous BF bodies dogs are always dragging home and digging up the garden to bury?

I have seen a Sasquatch and I have seen dogs. You are advocating frogs versus blender, thinking the frogs state of mind makes a difference. :lol:

I don't own a dog but I used to hike frequently with my parent's australian cattle dog before my son was born. He was my borrowed hiking buddy. We never saw a bigfoot but we would often run into other animals while hiking. His instinct was to strain on his leash to get to the animal so he could herd it. Most of the animals we saw were deer or elk or small animals like squirrels or birds. Never any bears thank goodness. One time he got loose and went after some eIk to herd them but thankfully he came back. I would worry if he met a sasquatch.

post-1603-096349000 1309931963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Katy

Norse though admittedly the Europeans have a sick sense of fun, put a much smarter bipedal with thumbs on the chain and the fun will stop with those wanna be bear dogs broken and in the trees... Now take away the chains and let the BF pick the place, and the best of bear dogs will be no more if... if they corner the BF... Just saying, and the pine martin abides...

I agree about the sick sense of humor, they would go to jail real quick if they got caught doing that here in the US. I disagree about your ascertation of the fate of bear dogs as far as it being as absolute. It is a possibility, as it is one if they corner a bear as well, but it is a possibility rather than a probability. I posted some reports in my opening post above as examples.

Sorry. I tried to make it simple. Fearless is not a good way to be in the woods. Fearless doesn't think about what they are starting up or with whom. Go ahead, let your dog fearlessly approach a large animal. Fearlessly follow. Or you could try to identify intelligent dialogue when you see it and glean some information from it...? For example, do you know of any fearless wild animals?

Fearless doesn't equal stupid if you can back it up? Are you serious? How do you propose to back it up? Based on what evidence? The numerous BF bodies dogs are always dragging home and digging up the garden to bury?

I have seen a Sasquatch and I have seen dogs. You are advocating frogs versus blender, thinking the frogs state of mind makes a difference. :lol:

1) I can easily identify intelligent dialogue. It is very simple to do. Fearless=stupid is not intelligent dialogue. However, you apologized and explained your position, which I appreciate.

2) How can you know what fearless animals and people are or are not thinking about? I have fearlessly entered plenty of competitive matches, and I knew what I was getting into, and within reason who I was getting into it with. Even when over matched and losing, I wasn't afraid.

3) Fearless animals: wolverines, grizzlies, polar bears, brown & Kodiak bears, lions, tigers, elephants, sharks, killer whales, rattle snakes, anacondas,....need more?

4) Yes, I am serious.

5) I propose to back it up with the examples I posted in the opening post and any further ones that I come across in the book I am reading, or anywhere else I happen to come across any other similar reports. I don't intend to go out of my way to find any.

6) It is unnecessary and quite immature and inflammatory to post ridiculous comments and exaggerations such as you ended your post with. Why is it that you can't just post nicely like the other people on this thread have? That is considered trolling, and I am pretty sure it is against the rules.

Guest Cervelo

If biggie is out there he has a very good reason why he avoids us and dogs. I realize for the people that have been close to Bigfoot its hard to imagine that a powerful creature would fear dogs. But if you ever hunted with dogs all I know is in my experience everything pretty much runs from a pack of dogs or wolves. I'm not suggesting using dogs for this purpose.

I believe its a product of having been hunted in the past if these creatures have been around a long time I'm sure that most of their interaction with pack animals has been negative IMO.

Awesome story, PT! German Shepherds are known for their loyalty. I am sorry for your loss, but am glad for the memories you shared with your dog. Keep the stories & reports coming, guys!

Cervelo, that is totally right. Animals instinctively flee from pack hunters, specifically wolves and dogs. Most of the people on here who are hunters have probably seen it time and time again, if hunting with dogs is allowed in their state. Cougars and bears could easily kill a dog (or a few of them), but they instinctively run from them.

Guest Cervelo

S,

I think that's part of the issue is most states don't allow hunting with dogs much less the effort it takes to hunt with dogs. So few people have seen what a pack can do when they are on hunt, it can be pretty intimidating. I'm no fan at this point in my life of hunting with dogs but it use to be the only way when your part of a hunt club.

BFF Patron

I see this dog thing in pretty black and white and regional ways (for somebody who is not real crazy about hunting or people resorting to hunting with dogs in the first place). There are certain breeds in the USA (and other countries) that were bred regionally to deal with some pretty specific indigenous wildlife. Plott bear hounds one example, etc., etc. Karelian bear dogs, another, etc., etc.

There are dogs that know a home range, a region and that region's varied topography. Many, if not most BF, enjoy the cover of steep mountain snarls, dense rich cove forest and/or swamp and watery terrain. Though there are many arguments as to BF residing on a home territory such terrains are sometimes described as large. [Doesn't mean BF doesn't "know" every square inch of that range. In fact, I would hazard the wager that not only do they-- but they know tactics of covering trail and creating false trail.] On the other hand, there are those that say there are small home range migrations that occur (probably seasonal based on weather, herd instinct of animals, following the food, whatever).

My own opinion is that a dog out of it's region or element is more than likely a hindrance or handicap rather than an ally. Much in the same way as a mule pack might be when our Biggie resorts to careful steps avoiding game trails and such when danger is sensed.

I see a strategic placement of a very small group of hunters at geographic "strainers" or funnels as being one possibility that was discussed on a thread awhile back in reference to some features in Saskatchewan I believe (probably was on the "old" forum and would need archives to retrieve). Using dogs to move animals towards a funnel might work, thinking you are going to tree a BF would be purely an accidental scenario and mighty good fortune the way I view the panorama. I say this knowing it has been mentioned that the dogs chasing the deer examples can put the dogs at risk....and I have been fortunate enough to have observed the woods from a tree stand (though not hunting per se)when just that scenario occurs.

I suppose stranger things have already happened as I don't discount that a BF may have been "treed" in stories to date. Personally to think they will catch up with one is the wrong strategy in my humble opinion without either hunting or hunting dog experience. I see the match as this. Essentially all a BF has to do is avoid a dogpack during the daylight because effectively they will use the night against the dogs.

Just my view from the congregation of those who have thought about this some. No evidence really presented.

edited to add: I can see where a dogs superior sense of smell could be used as a screening tool to let a pursuer know where to begin the pursuit perhaps but again .... don't see the dog as a "game, set match" type of operation in itself.

I will agree this has been a nice & interesting thread, and I would most certainly encourage that it remain so. Thank You. :)

Guest Cervelo

Ther are site hounds( ie greyhounds) and scent hounds most hunting with dogs is done with scent hounds. Most raccoon hunting is done at nite. Most dogs smell the way you and I see. That's where Dr. Meldrum was headed with the tracking, not to hunt Sas but to track him by cues picked up from his poop. Sort of like drug dogs it's a game I find the drugs I get a treat. If it could be done it would be great scout an area with your Sas dog, dog alerts sas is in the area and you and I go looking for biggie. The problem is we don't have samples of Sas to train a dog to alert when he smells the target so it kinda makes the whole thing a no go.

Guest tracker

I was asked in another thread to post some reports of dogs hunting or pursuing sasquatches where the dogs did not flee in fear or show a fear response. Before the thread ended, we pretty much smoothed things over, and I forgot about it. As I was reading in the book I mentioned in the opening post in this thread today though, I thought, "What the heck, maybe some folks will find this interesting too," and decided to post some examples anyway. Plus, I like the old sasquatch reports anyway. The frontiersmen weren't as easily frightened as people are today, and they many times pursued the "wildmen" if for no other reason than to see what they were.

Okay Surveyor I am here, and the thread was how to capture or kill Bf's in case anyone wants to know? smile.gif

My sheprot would probably charge into the tree line at an unknown animal too. But then she most likely be killed or come running back as soon as the Bf's growled or screamed at us or became aggressive. Primal fear maybe? can't condition a dog to handle that IMO.

So as much as i love the older encounters written by the pioneers. I still don't see any examples or posted links to any more recent investigated reports? And I am sure there's some dogs breeds that will attack almost anything. Pt's story of a dog passing one by is very interesting but it still wasn't attacking, tracking or trying to bay a Squatch? And a bear is just a bear, sorry NM. wink.gif

back to you, JMO tracker wink.gif