New Technique For BF Researchers?

hiflier

Been turning this idea over. There has been a lot said regarding tree knocking or howling in order to elicit a BF response. Coupled with that dialogue is the thought that a howl or a tree knock could be a hoax perpetrated by another Human in the woods, or innocently by another researcher who may have thought one's howl or tree know was real and so responded. The result is the possibility that the two different researchers may have been falsely alerting each other since there can be quite a distance between the two when the techniques are deployed. I think we can all get that.

So what I was thinking is utilizing rock throwing instead. It would be a close proximity technique that may eliminate the likelihood of hoaxing. Something like this: throw a rock into the woods an wait. We all know that a response to that could only come from close in by something that has hands. If BF's throw rocks, which apparently they do, then a BF would understand that a rock landing in the woods nearby could only come from another BF or a Human. If there is a response then get the thermal out and/or a camera and just wait. One thing about this maneuver is that it is highly directional- especially if a rock, stick, or pine cone gets returned. In other words, a researcher will know where it came from. It's bound to raise a BF's curiosity maybe by thinking there's a competitor in the area. Plus it's a much quieter technique which has the advantage of keeping a researcher's presence more private. Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My initial thought is if you are in rock throwing distance of a BF it’s already stalking you or checking you out. 

The only time our group encountered rock throwing, we had stopped at the side of a freshly built new logging road, which we had just walked end to end, looking for tracks in the freshly disturbed soil, about a mile each way. We paused for a cup of tea and a snack, heating the water on backpacking stoves. While waiting for the boil, we had three rocks thrown, over a 2 or 3 minute space. The first came from downslope, the second and third from upslope, on the opposite side of the new road. None landed where we could see them, but we heard the rocks passing through the branches of the evergreens. They had to have come from at least 2 different individuals, as we could see for at least 100m (110 yds) each way down the road, and nothing crossed our field of view.

I have to admit, we were all so stunned by this, that we never thought to respond in kind. We all had cameras in hand after the first rock, in case something did show. This occurred about 4 years ago, and we still try to make sense of the event.

I like your idea of trying to provoke a response in kind, for the reasons you state in your post.

• Thanks 1

I've wondered before  when they throw rocks if it's an aggressive action or are they just messing with people.If you are to believe some of the stories it seems to be both.

Like they are warning you to stay away in some cases and others it's just pebbles or very small rocks maybe just messing around with you.

I throw rocks all the time into draws and canyons trying to kick something out..... I’ve never had any thrown back.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

My initial thought is if you are in rock throwing distance of a BF it’s already stalking you or checking you out. 

My immediate thought to your initial thought is that if I'm in rock throwing distance of a BF, he's in 450 Marlin range for me. Checking me out is okay. Stalking me? 

That makes him a freebie. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, norseman said:

I throw rocks all the time into draws and canyons trying to kick something out..... I’ve never had any thrown back.

One would think the odds would go up if more folks tried it at least once in a while. I know I'm going to but not all the time in the same area or all day long. It will be one of those usual right place right time things but it may pull a response where normally there would be more than just a BF observing from a vantage point. People do surprise these creatures so if one doesn't know there's a Human in the vicinity they'll know for sure something with hands is around when a rock or stick comes out of nowhere towards them.

7 minutes ago, Huntster said:

My immediate thought to your initial thought is that if I'm in rock throwing distance of a BF, he's in 450 Marlin range for me. Checking me out is okay. Stalking me? 

That makes him a freebie. 

Bingo. But better to throw a rock if one thinks they're not around than pepper the woods with that baby. Toss a rock. If one comes back, ya still gotta make sure it isn't coming back from a Human. Stalking though? Wouldn't be a Human- unless someone thought ya was a bear :O 

Not a Human but being stalked? Then yep, freebie.  

Edited by hiflier

6 minutes ago, hiflier said:

........But better to throw a rock if one thinks they're not around than pepper the woods with that baby. Toss a rock. If one comes back, ya still gotta make sure it isn't coming back from a Human........

First they get a loud "WTF?"

The next rock gets a warning shot in the air.

More rocks get me walking in locked and loaded. I don't care if it's a sasquatch or a man. I'll likely shoot him if he doesn't stop with the rocks.

20 minutes ago, Huntster said:

First they get a loud "WTF?"

The next rock gets a warning shot in the air.

More rocks get me walking in locked and loaded. I don't care if it's a sasquatch or a man. I'll likely shoot him if he doesn't stop with the rocks.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, hiflier said:

I know I'm going to but not all the time in the same area or all day long. It will be one of those usual right place right time things but it may pull a response where normally there would be more than just a BF observing from a vantage point.

Hiflier, you only have 1 page on this thread after 15 hours. Is this thread an I.Q. test?  What you propose is a provocative action against a larger, faster animal. Not a David and Goliath scenario.

You have a lot of ammo for your test. Throw your book. If it gets thrown back after a short delay, check it for DNA.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

What you propose is a provocative action against a larger, faster animal.

Good point. If I tree knock at least I'll have a stick in my hands. OR just wait until the it gets close and take action. I figure if I can manage to stuff enough of my books down it throat I can suffocate the thing. Although if it read it, it'll probably die laughing or, more likely, just die from boredom. Either way I win ;)