Roof top tent project

norseman

Bought a smittybuilt roof top tent. Could not find a Silverado bed rack anywhere so I had one built. Go to the cardiologist tomorrow. And then to Post Falls Idaho to 4 wheel drive parts to get the tent installed....

Driving down to New Mexico to see new grand baby and wanna spend some time in the Colorado Rockies along the way!

1A79ACCF-5F4C-414A-9953-9E189A4797DB.jpeg

E845ACD4-5D04-4C0F-B2C2-2892B102D2C7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........Driving down to New Mexico to see new grand baby and wanna spend some time in the Colorado Rockies along the way!.........

Sounds like a great trip! Boy or girl?

• Thanks 1

772AC838-1CA4-4B3B-9A21-CCC62AF444B4.jpeg

DD81E031-EA53-4BA8-842D-1CD58B8407CB.jpeg

08783D4E-F2BC-4762-A059-A8CEB44C9E3A.jpeg

7E6C29F8-4728-4620-95F6-C25AD312ECF2.jpeg

2C01E781-8C4C-4C96-B5CE-C784812E5BF5.jpeg

The yahoos told me they needed two hoops to make they tent mount up.... I gave them three. Nada. I came home with one end unsupported. Went back to fab shop and popped tent up and they welded another hoop to bolt other end on. Brought it home and set it up and wet it down per instructions. Suppose to “cure” seams and activate water proofing. We shall see. It’s not a wall tent. But sets up super easy.

• Upvote 3

Looking good. Next accessory is the annex for showers / changing clothes. We don't want your naked white skin scaring the animals.  Solar panel(s) for the battery that runs your fancy LED tent lights. The companies that make these types of tents have images in their ads of a tent set up on level ground. You will have to level the truck and level the ladder feet. Store bought levelers from RV shops can get expensive.  A box of various sized lumber works too. Rocks work. The factory mattresses are in the "S" category. They Suck.  Depending on the load, you may want  2" to 4",  roll up , 'memory foam' mattress. 2" minimum. You may not be able to fold up the tent with the extra mattress(es) inside. Rolled up, they occupy a large volume. Storing them in Christmas tree storage bags works OK. Trays for your footwear?  How about tin foil baking pans to corral the dirt etc.?

The adventure is just beginning.......................

8 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Looking good. Next accessory is the annex for showers / changing clothes. We don't want your naked white skin scaring the animals.  Solar panel(s) for the battery that runs your fancy LED tent lights. The companies that make these types of tents have images in their ads of a tent set up on level ground. You will have to level the truck and level the ladder feet. Store bought levelers from RV shops can get expensive.  A box of various sized lumber works too. Rocks work. The factory mattresses are in the "S" category. They Suck.  Depending on the load, you may want  2" to 4",  roll up , 'memory foam' mattress. 2" minimum. You may not be able to fold up the tent with the extra mattress(es) inside. Rolled up, they occupy a large volume. Storing them in Christmas tree storage bags works OK. Trays for your footwear?  How about tin foil baking pans to corral the dirt etc.?

The adventure is just beginning.......................

Even when I’m naked.... I’m not naked. I carry my fur coat with me everywhere I go. ;)

This is gonna be about 1000x easier than a wall tent and packing mules, cutting ridge poles, etc. But I will still miss the mules and the days of my youth. 

Ive measure the pad already and will go looking today for a replacement. 

Did not see a need for the annex. Without a stove this is just a summer git up. Something quick and easy. 

Thanks for the advice!

1 hour ago, norseman said:

..........This is gonna be about 1000x easier than a wall tent and packing mules, cutting ridge poles, etc. But I will still miss the mules and the days of my youth. ..........

It will be 5000x easier, but hopefully still very enjoyable. This caribou hunt last week really deflated my sails. It was more a spiritual journey than a hunt. I'm as reluctant to heed the message as it appears you are. We'll see. I'm pretty stubborn. I hope the Almighty forgives me and has mercy for my hard heart............

I hope you have a great trip, my Friend. You deserve it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Ive measure the pad already and will go looking today for a replacement. 

Did not see a need for the annex. Without a stove this is just a summer git up. Something quick and easy. 

Keeping the stock mattress pad and adding optional extra pads gives a layer of isolation from the base plate.  It might be easier to find several small memory foam mattresses that come with removable covers.

Having a 'blue tarp' back up is essential.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Did not see a need for the annex. Without a stove this is just a summer git up. Something quick and easy

The annex?  And your wife says..................?  .Pop up shower / changing tents are handy and do not have a large footprint.

Is that rear axle set up for dualies?

Edited by Catmandoo
more text
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Keeping the stock mattress pad and adding optional extra pads gives a layer of isolation from the base plate.  It might be easier to find several small memory foam mattresses that come with removable covers.

Having a 'blue tarp' back up is essential.

The annex?  And your wife says..................?  .Pop up shower / changing tents are handy and do not have a large footprint.

Is that rear axle set up for dualies?

Dont think so. At least in my ford the Dana 80 was wider DRW vs SRW.

What does my wife say? She says show me the 3 axle 40 toy hauler....

Good idea on layering!

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic