360 degree cams

AtlantiS

Hi....

I read a lot that Bf senses when there is a game cam / wild life cam in the area, so he /she stays behind it..

Why not using 360 degree cams, you could hang them at a tree branche, and it would cover / scanning  

a big area...no possibility  a Bf could hide from it....just a thought....

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I have a small one. I lost the instructions and haven't figured out how to use it. 

Google for the instructions

BFF Patron

There are three problems I see with game cameras.    They are big and hard to hid.  I live at the edge of a forested area.   If someone hung a game camera on a tree looking in my direction I would see it immediately.   The woods are BF's back yard too.    They have to be camouflaged, so well that you could take your buddy out and it would be a challenge  for him to find the camera.     The second is the IR sensor.   We do not know for sure but animals we know seem to know they are present.   If the IR flash goes off,  then evidence is there that that can be seen also.    The third issue is cameras are made of plastic and outgas plastic smelling fumes.    If I can smell it a yard away cooking in the sun, BF or a bear, can likely smell it from 100 yards away.   Bears seem to love to chew on them.    Putting them up high is a good idea but they still need to be hidden better.      Several have proposed hanging obvious game cameras in view of well hidden ones.   Perhaps BF avoiding the obvious one will get in view of a better hidden one?     This is one area where thinking outside the box may well pay off. 

Edited by SWWASAS

13 hours ago, AtlantiS said:

Hi....

I read a lot that Bf senses when there is a game cam / wild life cam in the area, so he /she stays behind it..

Why not using 360 degree cams, you could hang them at a tree branche, and it would cover / scanning  

a big area...no possibility  a Bf could hide from it....just a thought....

The ones I have seen have a big fish eye effect.

Maybe they can smell them but there's way around that.To me the biggest challenge isn't  the smell of the camera or the IR eye sensor or flash or even theft  it's were to place them.

You tell me to place some game cams to catch whitetails , black bear , beaver , foxes ,  fisher cats pretty much any animal that resides there, I would know how to find the best areas even in an unknown forest. You tell me now place a few cameras to capture a bigfoot on film ? They are not creatures of habit like other game animals. Even humans are predictable 

in most cases . Path of less resistance so to speak but bigfoot , H#ll I don't know.

BFF Patron

When I found my active area I did not have any luck with cameras.   I honestly think I was under observation every time I went into the area.   They probably simply watched me deploy the camera and stayed out of sight of it.    Now and then when I would slam my truck door, I would hear a tree knock answer it.    I suspect that knock was a warning that the pesky human was back in their area. 

I have thought about putting a camera in a fake rock.   I have the rock.     Make it sense, motion some way, have the camera pop straight up out of the top of the rock.   And rotate taking pictures, giving a 360 panorama around the rock then go back into the rock.   The electronics are a bit tricky and I have not had time to work on it.    I spent my summer working on a remotely triggered mole killer.    Think Caddy Shack!   

Edited by SWWASAS

11 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Think Caddy Shack!

Caddy Shack: " kill all the golfers " .

To deal with the moles, seal all the openings, empty a tank of acetylene into the mole network and light it off.  Guaranteed. Your mileage will vary.

Bill Dranginis (RIP)  was working on his EyeGotcha 360 degree camera system but start up costs were huge and he backed away from his project and believed Plotwatchers were the way to go.

11 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I have the rock.     Make it sense, motion some way, have the camera pop straight up out of the top of the rock.   And rotate taking pictures, giving a 360 panorama around the rock then go back into the rock.  

Is the rock plastic and emits evil plasticizers and flexibilizers?  A sound trigger is possible. I have a camera trigger device that keys off of lightning, sound,  DIY laser. What if the Sasquatch wants to make little ones from a big one?

Edited by Catmandoo

BFF Patron

What if Sasquatch wants to climb trees and have dessert is the way most trail cams are placed.  I may be one of the few that has had a trail cam attacked in my olden days by something or someone that wanted to get inside of it or eat it. The hard plastic of the old rc55 reconyx was gouged by canines, the lower cover access, though fastened with a nylon/wire python cable that I thought was pretty intact and tight had been wrenched around so much that the battery compartment access was partially visible and the cover was skewed.  Of course it could have been a woodsman with a crow bar?   But, I think not.  I don't remember the pictures that came from that cam but they must not have been remarkable.  I may have posted them up on old BFF 1.0.  It was something strong or something with tools and it was placed about head high or above my shoulders between six and six-and-a-half feet on a tulip poplar tree trunk. 

My personal feeling is that Sasquatch pays more attention to details on the ground and thus the reason they are good with creating small to medium sized glyphs that few even recognize. So, I would say if you are going after moles or BF with low to the ground high tech, maybe be thinking well outside the box.   I was led to believe through perusing the research that it was very difficult to image coyote but with some very high cam placements lately I have found that not to be true.  Therefore I think that it would be possible to image Sasquatch with a camera trap but you would a) have to be really lucky with placement and the tech Gods and b) very stealthy in knowing travel patterns for wildlife in your area.  Of course, it would also help to know where Sasquatch are in a defined area.  But alas maybe if you knew that you could use regular digital photography.   These new cellphone cams are interesting if you can afford monthly plans and have good signal but it isn't something practical if you are in a remote montane environment in particular.  Cellular modems must be coming down in price for cams like that to be produced but I am not up to date with high tech and this probably isn't the thread for that. 

Here is a good critique of those:

They are now making trail cams with three pir sensors angled such that they pick up more field of view.  Anyone have experience with any of those? 

Edited by bipedalist

On 11/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, norseman said:

The ones I have seen have a big fish eye effect.

Same here, I bought one out of curiosity and while its fun to see what you get when out in the woods, the psychodelic nature of it as well as the need to convert the format back to mp4 keeps it as a novelty.

I'm going to stick mine on top of my kayak on top of my truck and see what happens. Last time we were in the woods, something approached the truck when we were away down the opposite hill, and was curious about the recorder. 

Thpugh, it sounds like an equally good way to see exactly nothing, lol. Who knows.

I have posted game cams by them selves  with no luck except for them staying right beyond the range of not being seen by the cam. Have placed them being watched by other cams watching the game cams  and no luck. have also placed them diagonal of each other so that nothing can sneak up on the game cams and no luck with bait.  All I have caught has been deer and other critters . So either they do not like these things or they are not around I am going with the first since I have captured some thing that I do consider these creatures .  I sure do miss my old days of when I was trying my best to prove these creatures were real back in 2000 on BFF1.0 . But that is the past. 

I sure would to know what has happen to those old researchers that are still looking for this creature. They have been very silent.  Makes me wonder if they have been taken to the dark side of these creatures. ( You know the paranormal side)

BFF Patron

The dark side buys you drinks at BF conferences too.  

the problem is with game cameras they omit a light, infared. If you have ever watched finding Nothing or any show that is using night vision. Or if you have ever used night vision, with others and a game cams you will see the Light off of those pieces of equipment.  Some animals can see those lights. Like throwing a flood light on on the middle of the night. That is one reason we dont get alot of BF on game cams at night.  I believe Flir is the best for this kinda of cam hunting. But they are expensive. The newer Flirs are portable and dont omit a light. 

Game cams just dont work for hunting BF, Work for deer cause deer are pretty **** stupid.. Even Mountain cats rarely get caught on them..

Edited by Franco