Staying Silent Or Not?

Tylo

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

I'm under no illusions that I'll be sneaking in on anything that makes the wilds its home so i go about my typically solo "business" as usual. Talking to myself sometimes for the "benefit" of eavesdroppers. Another tool i use frequently to broadcast my presence is a pipe with at least a 50/50 blend of some aromatic tobacco. Don't necessarily like smoking the fragrant stuff, usually vanilla/nutty, but methinks it may have some appeal wafting through the woods. Also identifiable as a specific anomaly---oh THAT guy again...

Watch out. You could end up being like Renee Dehinden and die without seeing Sasquatch.

"You're a disgrace!" Dahinden said to Perry.
"You ain't never seen one!" Perry snarled back. "And you never will if you keep on smoking that pipe!"

https://www.outsideonline.com/1922036/men-who-dream-bigfoot#close

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

You aren't going to sneak up on anything out there. If you pay attention you'll notice the songbirds give you away, they signal to others you're coming, then the squirrels and like chime in, anything within a quarter mile knows you're there pretty quick and thats just the "dumb animals", that said....

Vocals and woodknocks in my opinion work against you, when they do it, they are doing it back and forth with each other to alert others YOU are there and similar, so staying quiet just makes more sense. Besides, I have never had any problem hearing a typical conversing set of hikers way off so with "them" attuned to their surroundings as they are going to hear you to, but the whole kocking/calling/whooping thing is just stupid.

I can't say sneaking  up on a bigfoot  but other game animals of course you can. That's what still hunting is and I've done it for many years.

17 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Watch out. You could end up being like Renee Dehinden and die without seeing Sasquatch.

"You're a disgrace!" Dahinden said to Perry.
"You ain't never seen one!" Perry snarled back. "And you never will if you keep on smoking that pipe!"

https://www.outsideonline.com/1922036/men-who-dream-bigfoot#close

Yeah, see, I bet he was smoking and English or a Balkan...too much Latakia!! Smooth to smoke, not so nice for those nearby:)

Thank you for the input.  It does happen on YT (the ones trying to sneak up on something) and if you read comments under the video you'll see people always giving their 2¢!  (I find YT  Bigfoot comments to be illuminating!  Endless opinions and revelations!)  Vichy, yes, I set off the wildlife whenever I'm around! No way could I ever be stealthy!  The pipe tobacco is an interesting lure (I suppose incense as well?) I don't expect to try to seek these beings, however, answers are helpful to me because I do wander around in a rural area.    

When we had our first sighting in northern Michigan it was over a camp fire. We had first walked down a two track where there have already been sightings in the past. So what we did was walked down this two track and made noise like doing woops and making slapping sounds with cupped hands. We then walked backed down the two track to camp and set up bait traps with glow sticks hung across the two tracks so that we could see them from camp as it got dark. We then just all sat around the camp fire and started talking and did not pay attention to what was going on around us. After that first encounter this seem to be a key to having more encounters in areas where they seem to be.

After that it seems to be that they would fine us and not us fine them. Once they found you it did not matter whether if you were silent or if you were noisy. They would always be watching out for you when you would be in their general area.

What I can say is that the best times to be stealthy is on windy days. These are the days when you can move off the trails and go into the woods and see the wild life by moving slowly. What I do is take five to seven steps and stop. and look around and then move again five to seven steps every time the wind blows. As soon as the wind stops I stop and not move a muscle and just move my eyes and spot. Once the wind would start blowing I would start moving. I have seen more game this way and been up close to things that people will not believe me if I told them. But on those times I have always stayed silent and yes it does seem boring but I can tell you that it is not when you are all camo'ed upped. You can really creep up on things and  they do not even know you are there. It also takes knowing your wind direction.

My one friend has his own idea and I know that he has had encounter with these creatures . He smokes dope and swears up and down that it attracts the deer and I am thinking that it must have attracted the big guy.  I say this because when he is with me hunting he never goes out there with out his fire arm loaded or his bow loaded. I keep telling him that he does not need to but some thing freaked him out. He will not stalk like I do and stays close to the trails. Does not like the dark either. He is still not comfortable telling me what happen. So I will not push him.  I hope that this helps.

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

He smokes dope and swears up and down that it attracts the deer and I am thinking that it must have attracted the big guy

Burn a lot of hemp rope in your campfire and then post results.   Munchie part not needed.

Olfactory signaling, dude.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

On 1/10/2020 at 1:37 PM, MIB said:

Personally, I don't bother trying to sneak around them.   Who am I kidding, they know I'm there, so all I do by sneaking is behave in a worrisome way.   I don't yell, holler, etc, but I do talk to the people I'm with.  We tell jokes, play catch, .. interact peacefully.  Generally it is family or friends, so ACT like it is a family or friends outing, not like you're doing paramilitary sneaky ops. 

This. If they are there, they probably know you are there, too. Last summer, at the Meadow, i think we had at least 2 check us out at different times. We just did our thing. 

However, I did surprise the one who yelled at me. We were both in places where we weren't expected to be and scared each other.

Just go enjoy nature and let things happen as they will. I do go silent to listen for wood knocks, though. 

Edited by Madison5716

BFF Patron

I generally agree that they are aware of us when we are in their territory and the proof of that is how well they avoid us.    However, nearly every encounter I have read about, and my own first one,   happened because the BF blundered into me.   I had changed direction three times and if it initially had thought it knew what I was doing at all,  I confused the situation by changing direction of travel several times.    Much of the time in the field when the area was active, I felt like I was being watched.   Now and then I would hear a thud back in the woods as they moved to keep me in sight or more likely moved so I would not see them.     After getting to know me,  one of the BF in my research area, seemed to want to mess with me.   Juvenile pranks lead me to believe it was an older juvenile,  working in its skills of observation and approach and having fun at the same time.   But at the same time it was very good at avoiding letting me see it.    In spite of getting close enough to hit me with small rocks, I never saw the rock thrower.    I heard it run once before it hit my pack with a small rock.   If a teenage bigfoot can pull that off,   imagine how good the adults are.  I wonder if that activity was actually sanctioned by the adults since I was a known quantity that seemed to not want to do them any harm.   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MIB said:

This is not correct.    You must not be a hunter, or if you are, not a very good one.   I frequently move through the woods with critters entirely oblivious to my presence.   You don't do that by stumbling along at a regular walking speed, you learn to move at the pace of the woods, be one with it, in it, not an intruder passing through it.    My best example of this was at the end of high school when I took one term off to hunt.    I suspected the presence of a buck on a particular ridge so I put a sneak on it.   I came up behind that deer without it detecting me.    It was oblivious right up to the instant I poked it in the ribs with my rifle barrel, then it jumped straight up and tried to flee in 3 directions at the same time.   If I can, others can, and it's a pretty good bet sasquatch can.   At the same time, it's an equally good bet since I can do it to others, it can be done to me, and probably to sasquatch, with enough patience and opportunities.     But you can't do it as a bumbling idiot in the woods, you have to become part of it, not an invader through it.

MIB

It is correct from the standpoint of a casual hiker, I wasn't referring to hunters. That said, human stealth in the forest has definite limits, you I guarantee you are not as sneaky as you want to think you are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

It is correct from the standpoint of a casual hiker, I wasn't referring to hunters. That said, human stealth in the forest has definite limits, you I guarantee you are not as sneaky as you want to think you are.

I'm sneaky enough to get the results I get.  That speaks for itself.  

MIB