The Ketchum Report

Guest Nalajr

I'm curious as to why you think an NDA might be worthless. I hold a few, and they're pretty precious to me. ........but I'm interested in your perspective.

Mike

They are WORTHLESS because unless you have 10's of thousands of dollars to hire lawyers to march into court, file papers and then take endless depositions and then go to a trial to enforce your NDA, then it means NOTHING.

Does Ketchum have that kind of money, and we're talking probably close to 100G's to play it out to the end, where she could take someone to court to prove damages and get injunctive relief where even that wouldn't necessarily give her a nickel for it being broken?

Let's suppose that a couple of people that have a NDA with Ketchum,both in different states, decide that they have had enough and simultaneously publish websites with EVERYTHING listed on it that has been in this "study." What could she do? You just can't call the police or file papers and go into a judge and say "hey looky, these guys broke their word with me and have damaged me and my work." She wouldn't be able to do a **** thing about it except hire lawyers and start a legal process that would take YEARS to wind its way through the system and in the end she might not be able to prove any damage to her at all.

Same thing with a patent or a trademark. Unless you have the money to march into a court and ENFORCE your paperwork, it means NOTHING. It's no more than a wall decoration and you all know it. To give these papers the standing that you all do is mind boggling.

Nalajr

Guest OntarioSquatch

Until I see a peer-reviewed study concluding that sticks exist I'm calling hoax on this one.

What makes you say it's a hoax?

Guest Transformer

They are WORTHLESS because unless you have 10's of thousands of dollars to hire lawyers to march into court, file papers and then take endless depositions and then go to a trial to enforce your NDA, then it means NOTHING.

Does Ketchum have that kind of money, and we're talking probably close to 100G's to play it out to the end, where she could take someone to court to prove damages and get injunctive relief where even that wouldn't necessarily give her a nickel for it being broken?

Let's suppose that a couple of people that have a NDA with Ketchum,both in different states, decide that they have had enough and simultaneously publish websites with EVERYTHING listed on it that has been in this "study." What could she do? You just can't call the police or file papers and go into a judge and say "hey looky, these guys broke their word with me and have damaged me and my work." She wouldn't be able to do a **** thing about it except hire lawyers and start a legal process that would take YEARS to wind its way through the system and in the end she might not be able to prove any damage to her at all.

Same thing with a patent or a trademark. Unless you have the money to march into a court and ENFORCE your paperwork, it means NOTHING. It's no more than a wall decoration and you all know it. To give these papers the standing that you all do is mind boggling.

Nalajr

I don't know MikeG personally but from what I can see from his posts he is a man of honour and I think he is talking about the fact that he made a agreement and gave his word when he signed his NDAs and that nothing is going to make him break his word. I don't know the people involved with the study either but it seems that their word might mean a whole lot more to them than legal shenaningans. I am surprised that someone would come out and advise another person to break their word because in their opinion there could be nothing done about it.

• Upvote 1

"I know they exist because of their DNA and also because I have seen them." -- Dr. Melba Ketchum.

I guess Columbo can pack it in, the mystery has been solved.

Oh, just one more thing... can someone wake me when her paper finally gets published? Thanks.

RayG

I'm with ya, she has made some wild claims, no way this is real. I'm starting to think the BF riding on trains thread has a better chance of becoming reality than this one.

Edited by BFSleuth
Reference to deleted post

Guest OntarioSquatch

All will be clear soon B)

Right now, Dr. Ketchum set the bar really high with peoples expectations, but who knows. She might just deliver. Truth be told, she's innocent until proven otherwise.

Guest BFSleuth

To give these papers the standing that you all do is mind boggling.

Nalajr

I guess you have clarified that anyone entering an agreement with you may want to take considerable care and perhaps reconsider offering you a position of trust.

People that stake their careers and professional progress on keeping their word tend to think quite differently than you do, sir. Once one has gained a reputation for breaking your NDA's, irregardless of the outcome of a lawsuit, they will become a pariah in their profession.

Guest Shaun

I don't understand skeptics and their behaviour. If you don't beleieve in something then why spend so much time on a forums (and probably other web sites too) dedicated to discussing the thing you're skeptical about? Surely they could spend the time and energy on something they're positively passionate about? Why would someone want to waste all that time and energy? The Ketchum study (thus far) is just another example of how keen skeptics are to rubbish what other people have seen or believe in.

Edited by Shaun

Guest Thepattywagon

Yes, but wouldn't this be a boring place if everything Bigfoot was patently accepted as truth?

Provided any 'rubbishing' is done in a respectful manner, all opinions are welcome here. Aside from that, how people choose to spend their time is entirely their business.

Because, Shaun73, the differing levels of evidence/proof that individuals who have not seen one use to arrive at their belief or disbelief is fascinating.

Guest Shaun

I wasn't being critical. I'm genuinely intrigued as to why skeptics bother spending their time on any topic they don't believe in.

For example, I don't believe in God, but I don't go on Christian forums (or any other religion) and try and disprove or argue their beliefs.

Just curisoty on my part. Sorry if I offended anyone.

The skeptics are here to keep us on the straight and narrow, as you know there are quite a few hoaxers and BS'ers trying for there bit of fame.

.Generally the skeptics weed these guys out, but not always

Nalajr

The NDA's are effective because the submitters don't have any provable technical data that they could leak. They have hearsay about the study's overall results, which can change as the study progresses. These submitters for the most part, participated knowing they would not have any control over their results, and put it in Dr. Ketchums hands to publish it when it passes scientific rigor.

Sure, peopole can lose patience and blab, but you still wouldn't have hard evidential information until the DNA sequences are available to other scientists.

Surely they could spend the time and energy on something they're positively passionate about?

What if I'm positively passionate about promoting critical thinking and empiricism? Debunking and disproving may seem like negative things to some, but to me they are positive things if they encourage more people to base their beliefs on things that can be empirically demonstrated.

BFF Patron

The skeptics are here to keep us on the straight and narrow, as you know there are quite a few hoaxers and BS'ers trying for there bit of fame.

.Generally the skeptics weed these guys out, but not always

You'd be surprised how many witnesses, proponents and so-called knowers keep the place straight and narrow too.

Edited by bipedalist