The Ketchum Report

As has happened so many times in the past, it is simply the old 15 minutes of fame story. Ad in the prospect of money, TV deals and Bam, their's the motivation to hang on to a story for so long.

I hope this does not rub off on the other DNA study, but here are a couple of nagging questions:

1) Is it not troubling that Disotell says that given how small the peer review community is in this field, that he has not heard any buzz, or what journal it is? Could it be a Bigfoot journal? Would this not be very troubling?

2) Is it true that Dr. Ketchum was a total non-believer before her research began? I have heard her make this comment several times, I suppose to give more credibility to her work?

Guest Scout1959

IMHO we are being premature to conclude anything until all of the parties have entered into the discussion. I am still trying to explore what exactly this news means, but reflecting back on the tone of Dr. K's interview on C2C, I don't think the boat is sinking by any means.

Agreed Vx.....+1. Nothing but gossip abound.

+2 we have 406 pages of speculation thus far......

Swinging this back to hammer on Ketchum is entertaining, but really...what are the laws on interstate transportation of bear parts without the proper paperwork???

Fines? I would expect so....

LTBF said:

I hope this does not rub off on the other DNA study, but here are a couple of nagging questions:

As long as their not "sharing samples" I don't know why it would.. Now, watch someone come along and tell me how wrong I am. LOL.

1) Is it not troubling that Disotell says that given how small the peer review community is in this field, that he has not heard any buzz, or what journal it is? Could it be a Bigfoot journal? Would this not be very troubling?

*shrugs* I dunno.. That's the long answer.

2) Is it true that Dr. Ketchum was a total non-believer before her research began? I have heard her make this comment several times, I suppose to give more credibility to her work?

I don't know if we can discuss the last part of your question. All I will say is - before she started this study, she worked on the sample of "Yeti" hair supplied by Destination Truth. Now, whether that makes her a believer or non-believer I have no clue. I don't think any one knew who she was before the Destination Truth show - so she may not have cared initially.. Who knows?

Edited by Melissa

Guest Cervelo

LTBF,

I think it's pretty simple!

Dr.Ks study on a technical basis is probably fine, processing DNA is apparently simple.

But the theory/conclusion surely got laughed out of the room upon its first mention, peer review by something like this....

**Deleted Duplicate Image**

Then this study had to be taken on a shopping trip so to speak to see if it had any buyers outside the evil mainstream scientific community.

Apparently one hasn't been found yet that has nothing to lose by publishing such a theory ;)

Edited by Cervelo
To remove duplicate image/video

Guest VioletX

+2 we have 406 pages of speculation thus far......

Thanks Scout and TM :biggrin: Hopefully just the same ol' same ol'...

Gonna exit this ride at the fun factory and go take a break and I think all will be explained soon.

Edited by VioletX

Guest Theagenes

I don't think Disotell not hearing about it is that big of deal. Yeah reviewers often talk when they shouldn't, but in this case I can believe they would kept their involvement quiet due to embarrassment if nothing else. But I suspect Cervalo might be right that they may have had to shop it around.

I know we are going round and round. The DNA evidence is sound, the peer review journals don't like her explanation of the results? What are the likely journals we are talking about?

Guest Cervelo

Well if you look through this thread (don't do it man) every major publication in the US/Europe has come up.

Now the rumor mill says some as yet unnamed Russian journal/publication and Dr. K is saying it could be self published, correct folks?

Here ya go folks... (although I hate linking to this blog) I posted below what Tyler alluded to in his post above.

[5] Melba Ketchum claims that the tissue recovered and submitted to her by Justin Smeja is from a Sasquatch and that this animal is in fact genetically “human†in almost every sense of the word. Our labs achieved species identification for only the samples that Smeja submitted to our team. While Smeja claims (and has confirmed under a polygraph) that the samples he provided to Melba Ketchum are the same as the samples he provided to us, Ketchum disputes this and asserts that her samples are visually distinct from ours. The Ketchum team has expressed concern about our results and their subsequent release. In an effort to avoid any confusion for the general public, the scientific community and/or the “Bigfoot/Sasquatch communityâ€, I complied with requests to consider any sort of alleged contrary evidence from the Ketchum camp that could cast doubt on the results of our labs, prior to releasing our data. After weeks of opportunity and requests, Ketchum has provided no such evidence (outside of personal assurances), nor any corroborating statements from any other scientific source allegedly involved in her study.

I do not know Melba Ketchum, and about 99% of what I do know about her is what I've read or heard from somebody else. With that being said, concerning her work, I feel it is purposefully misleading and it has an agenda.

First of all if her sample isn't that of a bear and that of a human? Then what happened to the hybridization theory? And if it is a bear? Then why the smoke and mirrors?

Is this her way of protecting a species she feels a kindred spirit too? If enough smoke and mirrors are produced, we could somehow get something passed into federal law or? What? What's the driving force behind this?

She obviously wasn't all that interested in following scientific protocol concerning how her paper was published. And seemed to go for the lime light style of press release.

Also isn't this Dr. Igor so and so the same guy that stayed with that family that claimed they had Fox and family living in their back yard? And doesn't Ketchum also claim many many habituation experiences?

Is it just me or does any one else see an agenda taking shape here?

Yanno I'm a pretty loud pro kill proponent on this forum, but I'll gladly park my rifle if she has some evidence to back up her claims.......I don't care if it's human, proto human or ape.

But I for one am almost 100% positive nothing is going to come from this. Except more people laughing at us kooks who think something might be out there.

Guest thermalman

Melba is putting her reputation and career on the line, and never asked or wished to be involved, now that it's turned into a media gong show. I believe her for the simple reason she has everything to lose, unlike those other clowns who will keep posting long after the results are finalized. Afterall, they have websites to maintain in order to keep the traffic flow coming ..... :money:

Guest Scout1959

Where in the world are people getting out of this that it's a bear/human hybrid? Come on folks let's use some reading comprehension skills shall we....

Obviously there is something amiss with either the sample or the testing by one or the other or both parties. Let's just wait and see and stop assigning motives that are quite honestly just somebodies personal speculation. All this fanciful thinking is silly to be honest. Just wait and we'll all find out soon.

The report is either going to come out in a journal soon or be posted online somewhere else.

• Upvote 1