The Ketchum Report

Guest gershake

An interesting exchange arose from the Ketchum Facebook post I quoted earlier:

Melba Ketchum: "Everyone keeps asking for posts. Just waiting with no control over timing so there is nothing to report! It is out of my hands at this time!!!!!"

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398

Stephen Berkshire: "Better hurry, before someone else releases their own DNA study. You're not the only one receiving samples..."

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5976269&offset=0&total_comments=20

Mark Parra: "Who the hell cares about that?..what is this race for the finish line?...most true researchers are in no hurry for anything to be released anyway!...and as far as the Brits are concerned, they can go jump in a lake!"

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5976275&offset=0&total_comments=20

Linda Sedlak: "When Dr. Ketchum says it is out of her hands, that means that it is with the journal, they are working with the report to get it scheduled in to their upcoming journal publications. Truly, that is good news. Rewrites seem to be finished. Now if the journal has the courage to publish this article, all will be well."

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5979668&offset=0&total_comments=20

Philipp Maier: "I'd like to remind everyone that this is not the first time Dr. Ketchum said that it was out of her hands. She made a comment like that a few months ago, too. This post is not news."

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5982542&offset=0&total_comments=20

Melba Ketchum: "That is true, it has been in and out of my hands all along depending on what is happening at the moment, the stage of the paper and whose expertise is being employed at the time, the journal, etc. This is after all a team effort and then there are the wishes of the journal to uphold. It happens to be out of my hands and I am not commenting on timing. It will happen when it happens. I will not try my science in the media, it is being handled correctly whether it takes a day a week, a month or a year to clear peer review. It is exciting though, all that we are learning...fascinating!"

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5982567&offset=0&total_comments=20

Tim Cook: "@Mark parra,you are living in a fantasy land!melba ketchum and any of the other's would give there right arm to be the first to prove the existence of bigfoot if you dont believe that you are delusional !"

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5982620&offset=0&total_comments=20

Melba Ketchum: "@ Tim Cook I do not care about it, I do care about the quality and completeness of the data. If I just wanted to be first, I would have tried it in the media because I have more than enough to do that and have had ample opportunity to go to the media with it. I could have taken any of a bunch of documentary offers and some news channels and book offers also. But, I want them protected and to do that, it has to be accepted in mainstream science which is the goal. I could have had it out last year if I just wanted the media attention and to try to make a pile of money. Don't care what people think or when it comes out as long as it is correct and done properly. I hope that is abundantly clear."

https://www.facebook.com/melba.ketchum/posts/469253899753398?comment_id=5982641&offset=0&total_comments=20

Thanks for this post Gershake, do you know anything about the protection group? Does it still exist and is it still possible to join?

I'm hesitant to get a Facebook page just to get updates and stuff but I'm thinking about it.

Edited by Didi68

^No need to follow on Facebook unless your interest is in regular melodrama. If anything ever actually comes of Dr. Ketchum's analysis, there will be abundant media coverage on all major outlets. After all, she's claiming proof of an extant, undescribed hominin in North America.

BFF Patron

Yes, it sounds like it's alot more than another "it's out of my hands" again type thing. Hopefully it will be published in 2012.

Ketchum's statement "it is being handled correctly whether it takes a day a week, a month or a year to clear peer review." makes it seem like it is still in the peer review process and hasn't been officially accepted for publication.

But Linda Sedlak claims the opposite: "When Dr. Ketchum says it is out of her hands, that means that it is with the journal, they are working with the report to get it scheduled in to their upcoming journal publications. Truly, that is good news."

This is the sort of thing that drives everyone crazy. She really shouldn't have other people speaking on her behalf.

Edited by rockiessquatching

Guest Particle Noun

As far as the protection group, it has been very quiet for a very long time, and due to some members of the group leaking discussion meant to be private within the group, nothing not already in the common knowledge has been discussed for some time anyway.

And there's this, FWIW:

Derek Randles

A note to the Bigfoot community: There's a lot of rumors flying around as usual about release dates and Melba Ketchums DNA study. Many folks claim they're tired of waiting, growing impatient, and some are down right angry. A few of these people look to us researchers for info and release dates as if we have control over that. We don't. There are a lot of fantastic researchers and groups that have submitted samples to this study. The amount of time it took to gather these samples is overwhelming. There have been thousands of miles hiked and countless hours working in field to obtain these samples. All the submitting party's are waiting just like everybody else. It is tough to wait, that's understandable. A discovery of this magnitude has to be presented perfectly in order to make it through peer review. This takes time and cannot be rushed. I applaud Melba Ketchum for taking on this task in the face of so much controversy and ridicule. It was a very bold move on her part. Once she entered this arena she found out that some here are out for blood. She's found out the hard way that BF research is more like a battlefield than anything else. I'm personally quite surprised that she's stayed the coarse and has hung in there the way she has. Please remember, she's trying to advance this study working toward species verification, and aggressively go after protection. It would sure be nice if our " community " , could get behind her and show her the support she deserves for taking on this task in the first place. Melba thank you.

Derek Randles

I'd like to make a comment about Linda's comment above.

Well, if anyone spends any time on the FB page, I think they can determine how close to the 'crew' she really is.

I wouldn't bank on any of her comments at all, moreso treat them as if a parroting yes-person made them.....

Edited by BFSleuth
Remove unnecessary content

SSR Team

So now they are in the waiting period. Sounds like that could mean they are close to embargo period or in it (or so we can hope). Final revisions submitted perhaps?

Somebody on the " team " said on FB an hour ago that the Ketchum study is " done ".

" Her study is done. We are waiting for the journal to publish Melba's DNA results "

BFF Patron

Guess we'll see, as we've done been around the block with this one. Hope it isn't the "stick a fork in it" definition of "done". But there certainly is an air of finality to a final-revisioned-paper-accepted-for-publication definition of "done".

Edited by bipedalist

Guest BFSleuth

It seems to me that there have been a few requests for revisions, some of them minor, in the last few months.

BFF Patron

Seems being the operative word apparently. :huh:B)