The Ketchum Report

I still haven't heard anything about Melba actually confirming this latest rumor of the paper being accepted for publication.

An interesting exchange arose from the Ketchum Facebook post I quoted earlier:

Melba Ketchum: "Everyone keeps asking for posts. Just waiting with no control over timing so there is nothing to report! It is out of my hands at this time!!!!!"

https://www.facebook...469253899753398

Stephen Berkshire: "Better hurry, before someone else releases their own DNA study. You're not the only one receiving samples..."

https://www.facebook...tal_comments=20

Mark Parra: "Who the hell cares about that?..what is this race for the finish line?...most true researchers are in no hurry for anything to be released anyway!...and as far as the Brits are concerned, they can go jump in a lake!"

Linda Sedlak: "When Dr. Ketchum says it is out of her hands, that means that it is with the journal, they are working with the report to get it scheduled in to their upcoming journal publications. Truly, that is good news. Rewrites seem to be finished. Now if the journal has the courage to publish this article, all will be well."

Philipp Maier: "I'd like to remind everyone that this is not the first time Dr. Ketchum said that it was out of her hands. She made a comment like that a few months ago, too. This post is not news."

Melba Ketchum: "That is true, it has been in and out of my hands all along depending on what is happening at the moment, the stage of the paper and whose expertise is being employed at the time, the journal, etc. This is after all a team effort and then there are the wishes of the journal to uphold. It happens to be out of my hands and I am not commenting on timing. It will happen when it happens. I will not try my science in the media, it is being handled correctly whether it takes a day a week, a month or a year to clear peer review. It is exciting though, all that we are learning...fascinating!"

Tim Cook: "@Mark parra,you are living in a fantasy land!melba ketchum and any of the other's would give there right arm to be the first to prove the existence of bigfoot if you dont believe that you are delusional !"

Melba Ketchum: "@ Tim Cook I do not care about it, I do care about the quality and completeness of the data. If I just wanted to be first, I would have tried it in the media because I have more than enough to do that and have had ample opportunity to go to the media with it. I could have taken any of a bunch of documentary offers and some news channels and book offers also. But, I want them protected and to do that, it has to be accepted in mainstream science which is the goal. I could have had it out last year if I just wanted the media attention and to try to make a pile of money. Don't care what people think or when it comes out as long as it is correct and done properly. I hope that is abundantly clear."

This is as close as she comes to confirming any of this and I don't exactly think she is confirming that it has passed review..just that it is out of her hands at this time.

No, I meant "handed it back".... not sure what that means.

There's only two possibilies:

1. rejected outright in its entirety
  2. not accepted for publication in its current form, in which case the team will have been given a list of objections/problems that must be handled to the panel's satisfaction before the paper can be published

This is as close as she comes to confirming any of this and I don't exactly think she is confirming that it has passed review..just that it is out of her hands at this time.

I note that she doesn't explicitly refute the key contention that the journal is supposedly looking to fit it into the publication stream, implying that the paper has been accepted on it's merits. It could still not be published if they can't make a slot for it in the release schedule.

Melba Ketchum: I will not try my science in the media, it is being handled correctly whether it takes a day a week, a month or a year to clear peer review. It is exciting though, all that we are learning...fascinating!"

sounds to me like it hasn't passed peer-review yet

BFF Patron

I note that she doesn't explicitly refute the key contention that the journal is supposedly looking to fit it into the publication stream, implying that the paper has been accepted on it's merits. It could still not be published if they can't make a slot for it in the release schedule.

You're kidding right, a paper likely to discuss an unnamed heretofore undiscovered primate or hominid in N. America and they are going to have difficulty fitting it into the publication schedule? This isn't like a free-lance submission to Reader's Digest for Pete's sake. :swoon:

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Cervelo

Bi,

Both points made by yourself and Mulder might indicate the study isn't the slam dunk most are anticipating.

You're kidding right, a paper likely to discuss an unnamed heretofore undiscovered primate or hominid in N. America and they are going to have difficulty fitting it into the publication schedule? This isn't like a free-lance submission to Reader's Digest for Pete's sake. :swoon:

The last delay in the sequence of events would be the publish schedule, but the least of the hurdles no doubt. :D

I still haven't heard anything about Melba actually confirming this latest rumor of the paper being accepted for publication.

I think people are reading between the lines and sensing confidence/optimism. It's still speculation whether it has passed peer review.

No, I'm not, unfortunately. The paper could be letter-perfect, but because of the subject a journal might not want to take the risk of publishing it due to the ridicule factor. We've already seen the Skeptics lining up their "no type specimen for comparison" counterattack (among others) right here in this forum. The damage to their repuation if they publish and for some PTB only knows reason it turned out to be a bad paper after all (such has happened before) would be catastrophic.

So I definitely could see even a good paper being "too hot to touch" as journals all pull back wanting someone else to put their rep on the line to publish it.

BFF Patron

I should think that the journal editors "touched it" to begin with full well knowing the risks and thought the risk to reputation were acceptable because of the quality of the paper and the precedent that would be set to be the first scientific journal to blow the field of primatology wide open sort of like Denisova, Floresiensis and recent Ardi and Neanderthal efforts have impacted paleoanthropology and paleoarchaeology.

• Upvote 1

^There's a lot of things you'd think they were eager to publish, but they don't. There's a lot of good research out there on a number of topics that doesn't ever get to see the light of day thanks to the politics of institutional Science.

^Unfortunately it has been pretty much pure speculation from the start.

Not from my perspective.

Good morning Mulder - do you have any examples of a 'hot topic' that a journal/journals would not publish due to one reason or another?

Does anyone even know the name of the paper? This is critical as to what Ketchum hypothesized and what the journals are going to be eager to publish.