The Ketchum Report

Guest Peter O.

I can't sleep, so how about a "conspiracy theory" to tie this thread with the Shootings thread:

Smeja brought the juvenile home. The steak was not just randomly found under snow, it was cut from the juvenile to submit to the study. The study is now using the juvenile's body as the type specimen. Its DNA is being used to compare against submitted samples in order to determine the geographical extent of the population, and to place the creature on the evolutionary tree. All this would require more scientists in various disciplines, hence delays. The photographs asked for by the journal were not pictures of blobsquatches, but pictures of the body itself.

Eh? Eh? ;)

Guest Shaun

I'm not sure about that Peter. Justin stated in the interview that he'd sent a sample to another lab for testing. That would suggest that if anyone has the corpse, then he does.

If there is a body, then I think Dr Ketchum only has a sample from it, rather than the whole thing.

BFF Patron

I can't sleep, so how about a "conspiracy theory" to tie this thread with the Shootings thread:

Smeja brought the juvenile home. The steak was not just randomly found under snow, it was cut from the juvenile to submit to the study. The study is now using the juvenile's body as the type specimen. Its DNA is being used to compare against submitted samples in order to determine the geographical extent of the population, and to place the creature on the evolutionary tree. All this would require more scientists in various disciplines, hence delays. The photographs asked for by the journal were not pictures of blobsquatches, but pictures of the body itself.

Eh? Eh? ;)

Could be "there may be more right with these suppositions than wrong" but there are still some things having to do with the descriptions of the Sierra sample(s) that don't fit (for me). Seemed like delays due to a "write-up" would have been more unlikely given a collection of talent that was supposed to be huge.

And Shaun, Justin either stated or implied early on he had arranged multiple locations for pieces of the same sample that had been reduced and spread-out IIRC in case they were confiscated. There is alot of information in these long threads on dna and samples.

With all this excitement about this "study/paper" we still have not received a single word from K that verifies anything. For all we know the thing could've been "handed back" by every journal she submitted it to and she is now looking for alternative means of publishing. Maybe it hasn't passed any peer review and she is redoing the whole thing. My point is we don't know anything concrete at all.

That's what has people in the "sassy community" beside themselves. They have invested a big part of their time and life into this "study" that was "just around the corner" for the last 3 years or so. I don't blame them a bit either. Making a comment about the status of your work is NOT trying your science in the media.

Nalajr

Nalajr

I know what she told me.

Edited by indiefoot

Melba Ketchum: I will not try my science in the media, it is being handled correctly whether it takes a day a week, a month or a year to clear peer review. It is exciting though, all that we are learning...fascinating!"

Melba July 10. I think you're all jumping the gun. That quote sounds like it still has not passed peer-review. We may be waiting awhile yet. And sorry Indiefoot , but when I see Ketchum making statements like this, I don't think Linda knows what she's talking about. I think its just wishful thinking on her part.

My information came frome Dr. Ketchum, I was just confirming what Linda said on facebook.

Edited by indiefoot

So you're saying that Melba told you the paper has passed peer-review and they are just waiting for a publication date?

Guest OntarioSquatch

James Bobo Fay confirmed that the DNA from Smeja's steak is from a relict hominid. bigfootevidence.blogspot.ca/2012/07/bobo-confirms-melba-dna-results-as.html

James Bobo Fay confirmed that the DNA from Smeja's steak is from a relict hominid. bigfootevidence.blogspot.ca/2012/07/bobo-confirms-melba-dna-results-as.html

Bobo is a relict hominid himself. seriously though, any guesses of what it is? We need new discussion here. I'm gonna guess Australopithecus.

Guest slimwitless

Here's my late night conspiracy theory. It's provided purely for entertainment. No warranties expressed or implied.

Someone at the prominent journal (maybe a reviewer, maybe an editor...lets call him Penry T.) doesn't think Dr. K has the gravitas or credentials to be the public face of this momentous discovery. Penry knows she's on to something big so he drops a line to his old drinking buddy, Bryan Sykes. Sykes owes him a big favor anyway (ever since that molecular anthropology conference in Amsterdam). Anyway, I digress. Over a glass of Guiness in a shadowy pub, Penry agrees to delay the study out of Texas if Bryan can take a quick look and get something out by the end of the year. Soon after, Sykes announces to the world he's conducting a study of purported Bigfoot samples with the ultimate but unlikely (to preserve credibility) goal of finding an extant relict hominid*. Further, his study will wrap up quickly and the results will be published by November. Everyone lives happily ever after and the world continues to argue whether Erickson (or Columbus) discovered America.

Fin.

*See previous post.

Eh? Eh? ;)

This is just a guess, but IF they had the entire body - I seriously doubt we would be waiting for a DNA study to prove anything. Heck, you don't get anymore confirmation than a body. AND if he has a body - and has sat on it for this long - that seriously kills the "profit" motivation. He could get paid NOW - and still get the scientific documentation necessary.

We aren't going for the bigfoot in the freezer again are we. Remember how that turned out? I'm not going for it.

how would Bobo know with the Nda's and journal embargo in place. I guess the nda's aren't worth the paper their written on if Melbas telling all these people inside information about the study.

So you're saying that Melba told you the paper has passed peer-review and they are just waiting for a publication date?

Dr K told me at the end of May via email that the final revisions were complete and the paper was being handed back in.They were looking for additional photo/video materials to include with the publication.

Edited to add....

I am not a DNA submitter and am not under an NDA.

Unless there were more changes requested that were not anticipated I suspect the paper will be published sooner rather than later.

Edited by indiefoot