The Ketchum Report

So in other words she has not told you or Linda that the paper passed peer-review and they are just waiting on a publication date. Like I said wishful thinking.

Guest gershake

Here's my late night conspiracy theory. It's provided purely for entertainment. No warranties expressed or implied.

Someone at the prominent journal (maybe a reviewer, maybe an editor...lets call him Penry T.) doesn't think Dr. K has the gravitas or credentials to be the public face of this momentous discovery. Penry knows she's on to something big so he drops a line to his old drinking buddy, Bryan Sykes. Sykes owes him a big favor anyway (ever since that molecular anthropology conference in Amsterdam). Anyway, I digress. Over a glass of Guiness in a shadowy pub, Penry agrees to delay the study out of Texas if Bryan can take a quick look and get something out by the end of the year. Soon after, Sykes announces to the world he's conducting a study of purported Bigfoot samples with the ultimate but unlikely (to preserve credibility) goal of finding an extant relict hominid*. Further, his study will wrap up quickly and the results will be published by November. Everyone lives happily ever after and the world continues to argue whether Erickson (or Columbus) discovered America.

Fin.

*See previous post.

Plussed for humour. :D

So in other words she has not told you or Linda that the paper passed peer-review and they are just waiting on a publication date. Like I said wishful thinking.

She said "final revisions". So what do you take from the use of the word final. I don't consider it '"wishful thinking", Seem like a pretty good assumption.

Guest BFSleuth

I'm not sure about that Peter. Justin stated in the interview that he'd sent a sample to another lab for testing. That would suggest that if anyone has the corpse, then he does.

Note that in JS's interview he was asked to send about a quarter size sample to Dr. Ketchum. That leaves the majority of the sample as noted in the photograph. He likely sent a similar size sample to another lab and still has the majority of the sample in his freezer.

As noted by Melissa above, the likelihood that JS has an entire body is probably close to nil.

She said "final revisions". So what do you take from the use of the word final. I don't consider it '"wishful thinking", Seem like a pretty good assumption.

considering she told you that in May, and then in July she's indicating it still has not passed review and its not been published yet, I take it as wishful thinking.

My understanding of final revisions doesn't mean that it has been accepted for publication. It means the final version has been submitted. Now the journal can decide to reject or accept. I don't see this as a confirmation that the paper has been accepted for publication. I don't see why Dr. Ketchum can't simply say that the "paper has been accepted for publication." Unless in fact it has not been accepted for publication. Either way, I am hopeful that we will be at the end of this long waiting game sooner rather than later.

Note that in JS's interview he was asked to send about a quarter size sample to Dr. Ketchum. That leaves the majority of the sample as noted in the photograph. He likely sent a similar size sample to another lab and still has the majority of the sample in his freezer.

Is Justine qualified to cut off a quarter size sample and then submit for testing?

Guest spurfoot

bigfootnis, after a paper has gone through multiple revisions, it is virtually guaranteed publication. Basically if the final version has been submitted, it will be published. The schedule is out of the author's hands. It wouldn't surprise me if it is tomorrow.

Guest Particle Noun

Based on the info from those here on the board who've spoken to her, it seems pretty likely that it has been accepted for publication. I believe we've had one poster, a scientist, who indicated that it is very unlikely that a paper would be rejected after having gone through a number of rounds of revisions. By that point, the journal is trying to polish it up and get all of the i's crossed and t's dotted, etc.

I doubt it will be tomorrow, but I do think we're close. [/baseless speculation]

Guest scooterdad

By that point, the journal is trying to polish it up and get all of the i's crossed and t's dotted, etc.

I doubt it will be tomorrow, but I do think we're close. [/baseless speculation]

I LOL'd

Guest Peter O.
He could get paid NOW - and still get the scientific documentation necessary.

Well, I just slapped my forehead, Melissa ;) In my defense it was 4:00AM Central Time...

Based on the info from those here on the board who've spoken to her, it seems pretty likely that it has been accepted for publication. I believe we've had one poster, a scientist, who indicated that it is very unlikely that a paper would be rejected after having gone through a number of rounds of revisions. By that point, the journal is trying to polish it up and get all of the i's crossed and t's dotted, etc.

ok

Guest poignant

Zoala,

If Bobo is to be believed, which I think he is, he probably has insider info from sources close to the study.