The Ketchum Report

Guest Particle Noun

Thanks for that Shadowline. That's fascinating, and very interesting that they are making such a theory based on DNA traces in the genes of another species. There really is a paeleolithic revolution happening. I sincerly hope that Dr. Ketchum's work only adds to that. It really is the perfect environment right now for a relict hominid to be discovered living along side us.

Shadowline, the paper does sound very interesting and germane, and Particle Noun you are correct, it is a genetic revolution, just amazing..

Edited by apehuman

A couple of thoughts as to why it would take until 2012 for a relict hominid (one of our relatives) to be discovered. These beings that time forgot may operate on a clock where centuries may pass as if they were years. What I mean by that is if they are completely content with their way of life, never feeling the sense of urgency to advance and improve their lifestyle, they could just continue to be and never feel compelled to make their presence known. If you view it through that lense, our incursion into their habitat ends up being a fairly recent thing. While their presence has been known and acknowledged by native tribes for centuries, there also is something holding these beings back from announcing themselves to our world. At any point, if they wanted to, they could have banded together and marched right into Portland or Seattle and said, "here we are!!" (in Samurai of course).

I just don't feel that it's too much of a shock that they could have held out for so long. Our technology is finally catching up with them. I'm 36 and I remember a time not too long ago where if something didn't happen in Phoenix, all I had was a newspaper or magazine to get a sense of what was going on out there. Every once and a while, someone would travel to California and come back with great tales of the cool clothes they have out there, or some music that hopefully would make its way out to us. It's fairly easy to see how sightings could stay relatively contained. It's not like people had an outlet to post an encounter immediately, and get together to realize that, "holy mackerel, this is happening all over the place!!" I had my sighting just a few years ago, and had it been maybe ten years earlier, it would have basically died around the campfire with me and my brothers saying, "man that was freaky, where do you guys want to hunt tomorrow."

One other thing, maybe they don't have the ability to do what I described, we don't know that yet, but they certainly do have the ability to endure and survive.

Edited by arizonabigfoot

Guest slimwitless

I'll give him some "humor" points, other than that, he's mischaracterized by a certain statement IMHO. I'll go with he is getting help writing..... nice work and preferred form of communication anyhoo.

That's as speculative as anything else in this thread. As usual, I'll hold out for some proof.

Guest Peter O.

I just don't feel that it's too much of a shock that they could have held out for so long. Our technology is finally catching up with them. I'm 36 and I remember a time not too long ago where if something didn't happen in Phoenix, all I had was a newspaper or magazine to get a sense of what was going on out there. Every once and a while, someone would travel to California and come back with great tales of the cool clothes they have out there, or some music that hopefully would make its way out to us. It's fairly easy to see how sightings could stay relatively contained. It's not like people had an outlet to post an encounter immediately, and get together to realize that, "holy mackerel, this is happening all over the place!!" I had my sighting just a few years ago, and had it been maybe ten years earlier, it would have basically died around the campfire with me and my brothers saying, "man that was freaky, where do you guys want to hunt tomorrow."

Absolutely, I agree. I've never thought that arguments of the type "Uh, we woulda found them by now..." made any real sense at all. Ability to hide, but even more so, ability to stay away from humans, would be key to their survival.

If they exist of course ;)

edit: there's a lot of this type of argument on other boards, but basically it's just uninformed gainsay. Doesn't mean a thing.

Edited by Peter O.

Guest BFSleuth

long time lurker here... noticed this article today... interesting I thought.... http://www.washingto...zZBX_story.html

Great find, Shadowline! I also came across this related article, Genetic Data and Fossil Evidence Tell Differing Tales of Human Origin. I found it interesting the the geneticists are under fire from paleoanthropologists because much of the DNA evidence is based on statistics and there is no fossil records to back up their claim. IMHO I think the fossil record is far from complete, we likely only have a tiny fraction of total available fossils and only a small fraction of all species will ever leave a fossil record. So it would follow that trying to rely on the fossil record to indicate the existence of a species can only tell a part of the story.

This is an interesting time to be studying anthropology.

Guest MikeG
A couple of thoughts as to why it would take until 2012 for a relict hominid (one of our relatives) to be discovered. These beings that time forgot may operate on a clock where centuries may pass as if they were years. What I mean by that is if they are completely content with their way of life, never feeling the sense of urgency to advance and improve their lifestyle, they could just continue to be and never feel compelled to make their presence known.

Don't forget that this is a perfect description for modern humans for vast periods of our history. It is very easy to fall into the trap of believing that just because we have been changing rapidly in technology, society and practice over the last 3 or 4 thousand years that we have been doing this forever......and it simply isn't so. We have had long periods of stasis.

Mike

Guest Particle Noun

A very positive message from Dr. Ketchum on her Facebook page today:

Update: Things are going exceedingly well with the project. I will not talk time frames though. I am extremely pleased with everything. It has taken a long time, but it has been so worth it! I am blown away by all of the knowledge we have gleaned from this project, it is very humbling. My co-authors are simply wonderful and I so appreciate them as well as others in the background that have contributed to it but were unsung heroes so to speak. I will be so glad when I can speak openly about it and I know everyone here will be happy when that happens also.

No timetables, but a good positive note.

Guest MikeG

Good, good, nice and positive........

..........but I can't wait for the day that the words "Ketchum" and "Facebook" cease to appear together in a sentence on the BFF.

Mike

It is a positive comment. But again, it does not confirm that the paper has been accepted for publication. She indicates that she cannot go into time tables which is ok. However, a statement that the paper has been accepted or a statement that a publication date has been set is not providing a time table. My take is that the paper as of today has not been accepted for publication.

BFF Patron

Wow, nothing like being in the same place we were 18 plus months ago? :ok: