The Ketchum Report

Guest BFSleuth

I agree with the part about impatience.

Perhaps rather than selfishness I would say speculation based on "misunderstanding" or "deliberately ignoring" journal policies or the concept of NDA's. By ignoring these concepts they can then claim there must be something wrong. If you ignore the facts about embargo and NDA's, then you can make up all kinds of wonderful stories without backing them up with solid journalism or fact checking.

If you accept the facts about embargo and NDA's and understand that we have to wait, then it's not as entertaining.

\There is another study that claims the same reasons for witholding results until publication. Sykes is no joke! Do you think he's just taking a cue from Melba on non-disclosure or is it a valid Journal policy? http://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/academic/GBFs-v/OLCHP

I didn't ask for results. Just three simple questions that have nothing to do with results. What I've been getting at all along is I think It's nda's that are the cause of the no information, Not a journal embargo. It doesn't seem honest to me that Ketchum keeps trying to pass it off on the journal.

Guest BFSleuth

As an example here's the lead paragraph from the embargo policy of the journal Nature:

"Material submitted to Nature journals must not be discussed with the media, except in the case of accepted contributions, which can be discussed with the media no more than a week before the publication date under our embargo conditions. We reserve the right to halt the consideration or publication of a paper if this condition is broken."

By ignoring these concepts they can then claim there must be something wrong.

It doesn't seem honest to me that Ketchum keeps trying to pass it off on the journal.

:banghead:

Embargo's are imposed by Journals, NDA's are not just imposed for the sake of the integrity of the research, but are a legal release of ownership of the results to the authors. Crying about the info given in Dr. Ketchums public updates like "things are going well and as expected" then claiming there is no info is just childish. I get the feeling the whiners will scatter like roaches with the lights a flipped on when this paper publishes.

SSR Team

I agree with the part about impatience.

Perhaps rather than selfishness I would say speculation based on "misunderstanding" or "deliberately ignoring" journal policies or the concept of NDA's.

I'll stick with selfishness..;)

" I want, i want, i want and i want it now !!!!! "

BFF Patron

Dr. John Hawks goes on speaking tours talking specifically about the papers he is working on.

And perhaps he is publishing in online journals such as PLoS and such and their policies differ from a traditional periodical format.

Edited by bipedalist

Embargo's are imposed by Journals, NDA's are not just imposed for the sake of the integrity of the research, but are a legal release of ownership of the results to the authors. Crying about the info given in Dr. Ketchums public updates like "things are going well and as expected" then claiming there is no info is just childish. I get the feeling the whiners will scatter like roaches with the lights a flipped on when this paper publishes.

There has not been any info released. I'm not the one that's going to be crying when this doesn't go the way everybody's been hoping for. This has taken way to long. Imo something smells.

So who are you to call a forum member dishonest.

I'm squating squatch, and I have yet to see any example of a journal embargo that is so restrictive that Ketchum can't answer those simple questions. I REPEAT, I didn't ask for results or the containt of the paper. Just if it has been submitted, what journal(s), and what is the state of the paper at this time. Very simple.

FWIW I've read the various links posted here regarding the NDAs, and although I can see some circumstances where some things could be released early and even discussed at seminars, etc.; I spoke to my stepson over the weekend, (he has a PhD in this very field and has been published 3 times as part of a group project studying RNA), and he said that usually the restrictions are no more than what was contained in those various links. However, the journals do have the right and do at times require additional NDAs in which they could place restrictions similar to what we're hearing. Not saying that is the case here, but it should be considered a possibility.

We can speculate all we want, (and the discussion is interesting and at times humorous), but no one will know anything until the restrictions are lifted and the paper is released. If it is never released then we are just back to where we started.

Just my $.02

I'll stick with selfishness..;)

" I want, i want, i want and i want it now !!!!! "

That is about the most childish statement I've seen in this thread. These are legitimate questions I'm asking and and the only thing you can come up with is to mock me? lol nice

Squating Squatch - Have you seen any NDA's regarding the project?

Derek Randles and Justin Smeja have mentioned them.

SSR Team

That is about the most childish statement I've seen in this thread. These are legitimate questions I'm asking and and the only thing you can come up with is to mock me? lol nice

I'm not mocking YOU, i don't know you from Adam nor have any interest in YOU personally nor even really recognise your User Name as someone i have in the merest bit interest in.

I was talking about people in general, but if you so happen to fall into that category that i wrote, such is life.

Don't be so full of yourself .