The Ketchum Report

That rumor is supported by web site names like feralhuman or something like that. She says that was only preliminary or something to that effect so the leaks aren't without some credibility. It does sound like her initial conclusion has changed. Paternal nuclear DNA doesn't really make sense in that context unless someone is specifically talking about the Y chromosome. It doesn't mean that they are half human but only that a half modern human hybrid existed at one time with a modern human mother.

There is no way to know how much modern human DNA or how closely related they are from that but it would certainly follow that they aren't more distantly related than chimps if they could breed. It should be a safe assumption if that rumor was true that the father of the original hybrid was something in the genus Homo that mated with a modern human. That could be the only modern human in the entire lineage and if it were long ago it would be practically non existent now even if it did maintain the mtDNA.

Someone please clarify if I am misquided here, but , according to purported leaks, the mitochondrial dna is only passed down on the maternal side, and the dna tested or at least some of the dna tested, comes back as modern human, but just barely on the mitochondrial side, and something else on the paternal nuclear dna side.

I don't understand how anyone would know that all BF DNA would not show the same results. Could it just be reflecting a difference in male and female BF DNA?

From the Government and even academic side, an update into what Gov. agencies and

universities are facing these days. This is a memo sent out today by our librarian. Italics are the entire email.

I blanked out the final two letters of our agency's acronym. Doesn't matter which agency.

More and more publishers are providing online access to journal articles

before the article is published in the print edition. When viewing

citations, you'll notice terms such as online early, published ahead of

print,online first, or early release. Typically, this designation

indicates a premium service that requires an extra charge on top of the

subscription cost.

Most large institutions, (e.g., universities, US**, etc.) obtain journal

articles through bundled subscriptions provided through a subscription

management agent rather than directly from the publisher. The full-text

content aggregators do not provide access to premium content due to

license restrictions from the publishers. Often, the publishers set up an

embargo period of 6 to 18 months on new content. This means that if a

library does not purchase additional subscriptions directly from the

publisher, they don't have access to the most recent articles. This also

means that we cannot request these articles through Interlibrary Loan

because very few libraries will have access to them and those that do may

be prohibited from filling ILL requests from this content due to publisher

license restrictions. (Keep in mind that the publisher's goal is to make

money.)

To provide US** researchers with this content, the library typically

purchases the requested article directly from the publisher under a

pay-per-view arrangement. However, when we are operating under a spending

black-out, such as end-of-year closing and beginning-of-year but no money,

we cannot purchase this content using the government bank card. Your only

options during these periods are to either wait, contact the authors and

ask if they are able to supply a copy, or make the purchase using your own

personal funds if you absolutely must have the article now.

Guest BFSleuth

Very interesting memo. Recently I read an article about cost cutting vis a vis journal subscriptions, using Harvard University as an example. Their budget for journal subscriptions runs into the millions of dollars, some bundles of journals cost universities upwards of $30,000 per year. If the journals have advanced premium subscriptions for the latest publications, then that can go even higher. Multiply that by the hundreds of different journals that various departments will need, from psychology to physics, and you start to get an idea of the difficulty universities and libraries are facing. That's why when the paper is published I'll pony up for the single article, rather than buy a subscription.

Why the high cost for these journals? Because the fixed costs of printing is distributed over a very small number copies and the cost of peer review and editorial preparation is high. Compared to publications with a larger subscription base, their costs per magazine/journal is very very high.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Someone please clarify if I am misquided here, but , according to purported leaks, the mitochondrial dna is only passed down on the maternal side, and the dna tested or at least some of the dna tested, comes back as modern human, but just barely on the mitochondrial side, and something else on the paternal nuclear dna side. So a very long time ago, a modern(but just barely) :keeporder: human female was inseminated by a-something other than modern human but close enough to breed male?

nDNA (Nuclear DNA): the genetic blueprint of life

nDNA reflects their physical makeup. So if the mtDNA is modern human and the Nuclear DNA isn't, it can mean there was either hybridization at some point or they mutated greatly in a short amount of time. According to Dr. Ketchum for Sasquatch it's the latter 8)

Dr. K told me last year she thought they were hybrid, this was after the nuDNA returned and before the full genome reports came back. That would contradict OntarioSquatch's statement and I was wondering if the source for the info was better than Dr.K?

Guest OntarioSquatch

It's from Doctor K herself as well. The quote from Doctor K that I pulled isn't as recent as yours so maybe they really are a hybrid. I honestly don't know for sure.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Guest gerrykleier

Dr. K told me last year she thought they were hybrid, this was after the nuDNA returned and before the full genome reports came back. That would contradict OntarioSquatch's statement and I was wondering if the source for the info was better than Dr.K?

What do you mean by 'full genome report'? They didn't sequence the entire genome, did they! Seems like that would take forever.

Thanks,

GK

Technically, a "hybrid" would still be a "new critter."

That said, I'm sad to see what gov't agencies are having to go through to get articles. Keep in mind that the majority of scientific research in the US is funded and supported in whole or in part by government grants. I would think that the journal publishers should have to provide copies for gov't/public use as a partial repayment for that investment.

My understanding is Wally paid for full genome analysis on three samples, they came back sooner than expected. That probably resulted in a major rewrite.