The Ketchum Report

My guess, knowing a few journalists very well, and their nature and biases, is that the average mainstream story will be: "Vet Releases Press Release Claiming to Have Sequenced Bigfoot DNA" and the story will conclude with the quote regarding the study still being subject to peer review.

That may be unfair, it may not recognize the science behind it, but there's no way that the average journalist (or person for that matter) will approach it with the same rigor that many at this forum do.

Off the internet, and obviously, away from supportive forums such as these, the percentage of people who regard BF proponents with indifference or scorn is probably in the high 90s. They may be one day proven to be the equivalent of flat earthers, but until then, they won't accept technical scientific arguments - it's a body or nothing for 99% of the people that don't read forums like this.

At present, unless a major journal runs this, this is still a non-story.

For my money, watch the TBRC. They are where the sasquatch field is at right now.

Really ? If calling the subjects "wood apes" and shooting at them, is where the sasquatch field is right now... I'm glad to not be in that particular field. Not speaking about all involved, just some. On the other hand, there are other extremes wanting the "forest people" to have constitutional rights, and maybe even vote in the next election or get free healthcare. Others, are into the sasquatch entertainment business, and making a living out of it, while raising more public awareness of the still unproven, but like the others.. not finding much.

In between it all... there are groups and individuals quietly doing their investigations, shaking their heads and still wondering about it all. Not making any claims, or trying to rise above the rest. Just getting the same results as the notables, which is pretty much All the same.. Nothing provable.

Edited by imonacan

This is very interesting. I only come here every so often, and not much changes from week to week, but this feels like the best bigfoot news since I read about Oxford university doing a study.

I actually feel like showing this to some of my friends/family/co-workers who've been pretty obnoxious towards me on the whole subject, Hopefully a bigger news agency runs with it tomorrow (doubtful I know). Regardless, it really feels like all this talk from all the bigfoot "insiders" that the truth will be out soon enough might have some merit to it.

The DNA studies and what the guys at the TBRC are doing have been my only rays of hope that something could happen soon that blows the lid wide open.

While bigfoot might be my 2nd obsession in life (The Ottawa Senators take the #1 spot :nhl: ) if something big happens, or at least starts to unfold, the big man will easily slide into that number 1 spot (especially with the bloody nhl lockout :growl: ). I hope this is the start.

Edited by Samsquanch85

... too late to edit my post, but I wanted to add that if Ketchum publicly speculates about anything other than indisputable DNA test results, then she's going to be written off and portrayed as a kook no matter how good the science is. Metaphysics, stick structures, and habituation claims should not be on the table.

...and she's already on record with some of that kind of shenanigans, so, um, whoops.

If you are involved in sasquatch research, keep doing what you're doing. This doesn't look like it will change the game.

This is very interesting. I only come here every so often, and not much changes from week to week, but this feels like the best bigfoot news since I read about Oxford university doing a study.

I actually feel like showing this to some of my friends/family/co-workers who've been pretty obnoxious towards me on the whole subject, Hopefully a bigger news agency runs with it tomorrow (doubtful I know). Regardless, it really feels like all this talk from all the bigfoot "insiders" that the truth will be out soon enough might have some merit to it.

The DNA studies and what the guys at the TBRC are doing have been my only rays of hope that something could happen soon that blows the lid wide open.

While bigfoot might be my 2nd obsession in life (The Ottawa Senators take the #1 spot :nhl: ) if something big happens, or at least starts to unfold, the big man will easily slide into that number 1 spot (especially with the bloody nhl lockout :growl: ). I hope this is the start.

Agreed...i also got a kick out of your Trailer Park Boys related nickname

It's 5:30am and I am up too early Googling for any news org that has picked up this story and unfortunately the first three pages of search hits are BF or Ghost type sites. Reddit.com received it, so it is fodder now for Tosh, et al. A few smaller local stations...so, unless someone actually interviews Robin or Melba and makes a story of it...? I imagine it can take some time to swell, or get picked up by AP...but really, it's only a claim, and until a paper or data is produced I imagine it is no news even for the Press. There weren't any surprises for us in it, except maybe it has been "submitted," rather than passed (but assuming has a green light from Journal)? So, although yesterday was fun in some ways, it reminded me of the day I wasted watching the news follow a white Bronco going about 25mph on the freeway followed by police and News choppers.. oh that's a bad comparison! But, clearly the wait continues!

Earlier in this thread we discussed 'peer-review', 'embargos' and 'NDA's'.

Dr. Ketchum had done a decent job of maintaining a level of professional silence on her paper (to an almost maddening degree) which gave me hope that there was indeed something here worthy of keeping an eye on.

With this self-released PR bit she not only mentions 'peer-review' in her first sentence but goes on to enumerate information one would consider 'hands-off' due to an NDA or an embargo or what have you.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers here but none of what has transpired over the past 48 hours inspires confidence. As I stated above, I really did (kind of / sort of still do) think there was something to all of this but would have prefered Dr. Ketchum stayed the course and not leak data in such a sensationalistic fashion. I don't think there was a need to respond to Dr. Burtstev's comments with damage control of this sort.

Optimistic still ... but then again, I've always drank out of a half full cup ...

Guest slimwitless

I don't expect any media outlet to take this too seriously until they can identify a credible journal or a "prominent" co-author.

BFF Patron

Yes, it looks like they changed tact due to competition (?perceived or real), catastrophic reaction to a burp, final countdown with the goods and it's being unembargoed or just because there was a lot of downtime since the last public update perhaps.... anyhow about all that is apparent is that they used an agency (PRWeb), their professional website (dna diagnostics inc.) (?speaking of which what ever happened to that new website that was supposedly created for the big release?), their personal Facebook page and a team members blog (North American Bigfoot Search) to spread the word.

Truly hope its the final countdown. Maybe Scott Carpenter will share some more tonight on Bigfoot Tonight blogtalk radio show.

Earlier in this thread we discussed 'peer-review', 'embargos' and 'NDA's'.

Dr. Ketchum had done a decent job of maintaining a level of professional silence on her paper (to an almost maddening degree) which gave me hope that there was indeed something here worthy of keeping an eye on.

With this self-released PR bit she not only mentions 'peer-review' in her first sentence but goes on to enumerate information one would consider 'hands-off' due to an NDA or an embargo or what have you.

I hadn't seen you post before Simmon, but ...

You nailed it head-on. From the start we were told things were off-the-table because it would compromise publication in a respected journal, NOW, before it's even finished with peer-review, selected highlights are dangled before the waiting masses.

I don't think it bodes well for the course this "study" is about to take... so in the immortal words of Westly

"Get used to disappointment." - JMHO

Edited by GuyInIndiana

BFF Patron

Scott Carpenter aka Joe Black is a NABS team-member/Sasquatch researcher from Eastern Tennessee who has presented a body of work on youtube, a blog and submitted samples for analysis in the Ketchum study. Known recently here on the BFF for some plotwatcher setup videos of a tree peeker. He is a member here too unless somebody is masquerading with some of the names/ids above.

Edited by bipedalist

I disagree. If they sequenced complete DNA from three samples as it is being claimed in the press release:

In response to recent interest in the study, Dr. Ketchum can confirm that her team has sequenced 3 complete Sasquatch nuclear genomes and determined the species is a human hybrid

That is a complete sequence, mDNA + nuDNA, it is a game changer, pending peer review.

Assuming it passes review, it is a game ender. Sasquatch is proven beyond all doubt.

You seem to be missing my point. I don't find the fact that DNA comes from a creature, possibly Bigfoot, hard to understand. It's not difficult to understand, nor has it ever been. What I mean is that this evidence needs to be accompanied by additional evidence of another type to claim that Bigfoot has been discovered. If you want to say that it's possible that Bigfoot DNA has been discovered, that's one thing. But to claim a discovery based on the DNA alone is akin to attempting to sell a house without showing it, using those blueprints you alluded to as proof that the house it details has actually been built.

People like to see what they're buying. To the majority of citizens, DNA isn't proof. Seeing a Bigfoot is.

I diagree with everything you said.

We've been told, ad nauseum, by the mass of skeptics that seeing isn't believing. That witness reports are notoriously inaccurate even when trained people, such as a law enforcement, are the witness. "We need proof!", we were told.

Now we have DNA. Having said that, the proof isn't the DNA alone. We have DNA in addition to hair samples, video, audio, footprints and witness reports by gazillion.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1