The Ketchum Report

snapback.pngDWA, on 27 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

revelations that the DNA sleuth has been frolicking with the alleged animal.

That's going to do something - and not positive - to the community's perception of her objectivity and rigor. Way life is.

Do you have any human conception of just how colossally in bad taste that comment is?

It's only that way to folks whose minds are in the gutter. 'Frolicking'? Seriously?

I take it you are not aware of Lindsay's little screed on the subject?

Ugh....She actually said weeks, instead of months? Hasn't she learned by now? I'm not sure why anyone is blasting Meldrum....Is it not asinine to say that you are in 'communication' with the Sasquatches, and that they support the study? If they can communicate with them so well, then why not ask them for a blood sample, or a photo op? Habituators, and protection crusaders bug me. All these wild claims, yet a blatant disregard to back any of them up.

I take it you are not aware of Lindsay's little screed on the subject?

Well, I don't make it my business by and large to acquaint myself with every detail of the sideshows in this field (and until there is a published, peer-reviewed paper, this is a sideshow).

But sounds as if Lindsay is the one you want to be upset with, not me.

Please can you elaborate Melissa? I'm not too sure who Thom Cantrall is or what you mean.

Thank you.

Lee

Oh if your on facebook check out "Friends of the Forest People" page or something like that. But, suffice it to say, I was on the page for about a week - and couldn't take it anymore. So, I left. Word on the street is that if Melba's paper is published in Russia it will be with the help of Igor Burtsev (?) - Janice Carter fame.. Look that one up. It makes perfect sense she would team up with him considering Igor is good friends with Thom Cantrall. Melba has been to a property owned by Arla Williams. Together Arla and Thom talk about "Bigfoot Teachers" and how they speak to bigfoot telepathically. I believe Thom has even written a book about his teacher, and spoke about him at a conference in the PNW.

That's all I'm gonna say bout that. If someone here is a firm believer in all this - like I said - rock on.

Cotter,

As I mentioned, bickering among scientists is standard operating procedure. Journal editors and reviewers are used to it. I don't think Meldrum's comments are sufficient to tank Melba's chances of getting published in any journal.

Mulder,

Good question. In my experience, researchers either 1) hone their manuscripts until they fit the page limits for a particular journal, 2) move some of the less important material to a supplementary section that's not part of the main paper, or 3) chose a journal with relaxed page limits.

Here's another perspective (one that will get me killed, I'm sure). Will Melba's paper, even if its everything big footers have been hoping for - and a bag of chips - really be groundbreaking and/or earth shattering? Sure, bigfooters will be ecstatic. The story will make the news for 36-48 hours. We will see a few more documentaries and such on the Discovery and Nat Geo channels. Skeptics with time on their hands with howl. But, I suspect most scientists will read about the paper in the news (but never read the paper) or online, say "that's interesting" - and then they'll go back to work.

Genes

Ugh....She actually said weeks, instead of months? Hasn't she learned by now? I'm not sure why anyone is blasting Meldrum....Is it not asinine to say that you are in 'communication' with the Sasquatches, and that they support the study? If they can communicate with them so well, then why not ask them for a blood sample, or a photo op? Habituators, and protection crusaders bug me. All these wild claims, yet a blatant disregard to back any of them up.

And this is what gets the Meldrums (and the me's) in this field so worked up.

When you are evaluating a DNA sample, you are a name evaluating a DNA sample. Put yourself forward as kaffeeklatschin' with the Bigfeets, and you have already raised eyebrows out of all reasonable proportion to your objective? participation in this project.

Oh and before the followers of these beliefs get all upset with me ----- if you think what I said is bad, just WAIT until the media gets their hands on this.. And they will. They will make my little paragraph seem like a glowing review. So, I would get all my ducks in a row now - and tell Melba to get hers all straightened out too. Cause this information is widely available - and any media outlet would LOVE to read this kind of stuff about a scientist trying to publish a peer reviewed article.

Like I said - Rock on !!! :rock:

Well, I don't make it my business by and large to acquaint myself with every detail of the sideshows in this field (and until there is a published, peer-reviewed paper, this is a sideshow).

But sounds as if Lindsay is the one you want to be upset with, not me.

Well it's important in this case because the screed in question "went there" and I assumed you were also "going there". If you were not, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Mulder,

Good question. In my experience, researchers either 1) hone their manuscripts until they fit the page limits for a particular journal, 2) move some of the less important material to a supplementary section that's not part of the main paper, or 3) chose a journal with relaxed page limits.

Thanks for clarifying.

Here's another perspective (one that will get me killed, I'm sure). Will Melba's paper, even if its everything big footers have been hoping for - and a bag of chips - really be groundbreaking and/or earth shattering? Sure, bigfooters will be ecstatic. The story will make the news for 36-48 hours. We will see a few more documentaries and such on the Discovery and Nat Geo channels. Skeptics with time on their hands with howl. But, I suspect most scientists will read about the paper in the news (but never read the paper) or online, say "that's interesting" - and then they'll go back to work.

Genes

Wouldn't this at least touch off a big round of activity in the primatology and/or anthropology circles? I would think a living, breathing new species of either higher primate or hominid would be the news of the millenium. Virgin academic territory for scientists to explore.

Does she? I can not find where she makes that claim herself.

Hi Scott:

I assumed she did by the "Dr." in front of her name.

Perhaps I am wrong....

Hmmm.....

But, I suspect most scientists will read about the paper in the news (but never read the paper) or online, say "that's interesting" - and then they'll go back to work.

Genes

I rather doubt that. The chance to study a previously "unknown" near-human species will be overwhelming.