The Ketchum Report

Nope, and my uncle and aunt are scientists and quite brilliant, but they also dress like they shop at the Salvation Army so I guess no one should take them seriously. That's the jist of it apparently.

That is the very opposite of the jist of it. Specially as Sally Army is almost required where I come from, for a scientist. Practically a uniform. As in look how poor I am. I must be really smart. Or something.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Judging a doctor by their voice and appearance instead of their work is an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of it?

Edited by OntarioSquatch

A former model is now a member of the Bigfoot Forum! If true, I find that fact simply astounding.WTF? hardly does it justice!

Forget the details of the Ketchum report. It must all be true if the Beautiful People are here to party...

It was decades ago and I hated modelling. It was the fastest way to get out of a one horse town in the post industrial north of england. Gave it up for more artistic pursuits soon as I could. It is soooo not my fault. <wail>

And now I've landed someplace full of forests. With things that lurk in them waiting to rip my head off. A little research seemed in order..

Imagine that, a former model who makes superficial comments about an intellectual's looks...

She is painting on stuff that isn't there. Has a certain relevance.

Okay, and you placing value on a person's physical appearance when it has nothing to do with their professional field also has a "certain relevance".

Does that translate to mean a Texas accent?

I was speaking of Meldrum there. He doesn't like being asked daft questions by a chicken and his response was telling. I'd have gone all Squatch and ripped it's head off. He slowed down, right down. Very controlled. The 'psychic Bigfoot' comment was no accident.

Guest gerrykleier

It was decades ago and I hated modelling. It was the fastest way to get out of a one horse town in the post industrial north of england. Gave it up for more artistic pursuits soon as I could. It is soooo not my fault. <wail>

And now I've landed someplace full of forests. With things that lurk in them waiting to rip my head off. A little research seemed in order..

Get yr 75 posts, pay yer $20 and become a Premium Member.

You'd have fun in the Tar Pit.

GK

Judging a doctor by their voice and appearance instead of their work is an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of it?

Oh I expect you soon will.

Guest slimwitless

Living in a forest I'd think you might be more interested in her view that these things are hybrids.

Guest VioletX

Hahaha. It's OK to be a goth. If you wear a twinset and pearls though, not so much..

My first comment on that video was about how tired and down she seems. I get the impression she doesn't like media stuff, perhaps finds it wearing, and knows there's more to come.

I wish she would just present the DNA data, announce Bigfoot and leave it at that. But she won't. She'll paint on things that aren't supported by the underlying facts to an unrealistic and obvious degree, and this time it'll not just be an ex model commenting on the wisdom of such a choice.

"Hahaha. It's OK to be a goth. If you wear a twinset and pearls though, not so much.."

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I am sure we, at the BFF, had bad hair and make-up days too, even some of the guys ; )

Few have been as skeptical of Ketchum's motives and methods as I have, but I can't see that her appearance enters into the picture at all. Scientists come in all stripes. Some are complete slobs, some are stylish and well-groomed. (Around here, I take a lot of ribbing from my colleagues for wearing a tie when I lecture.) Among the women, some are heavily made-up and some worry about their lips being too shiny if they take an extra swipe with their Chap-stik.

You could give Dr. Ketchum an "Elizabeth Warren" makeover and I'd be just as skeptical of her claims as I am now. Her appearance matters naught.

I was speaking of Meldrum there. He doesn't like being asked daft questions by a chicken and his response was telling. I'd have gone all Squatch and ripped it's head off. He slowed down, right down. Very controlled. The 'psychic Bigfoot' comment was no accident.

I must have missed the chicken!!! Could you clue me in please?

It's soooo easy to get behind if you leave the computer for a few seconds.

Okay, and you placing value on a person's physical appearance when it has nothing to do with their professional field also has a "certain relevance".

This is the last time I am going to say this. Her physical appearance on the video in question was the result of a series of deliberate, questionable, choices. That is, they are personality driven. Now, I know that ideally personality has no place in a scientific paper, but ask yourself why you think she was turned down by Nature. I can tell you right now. The conclusions drawn in her paper are not supported by her data. It is a faultline that runs all the way through. Am I surprised people's personalities show in both the image they choose to present to the world and the science they choose to present to the world? No. Should I be? I'd be more surprised if they didn't.