The Ketchum Report

BFF Patron
....Eventually they'll have to throw down, though the lure of just dragging the process out and forcing Ketchum to withdraw the study and so (in their minds) absolve them of any culpability might now be in play.

Maybe so, either way, if a peer-reviewed journal doesn't publish it and it comes out in monograph or other scientific form on=line then there WILL be peer-review and critics judging it's scientific merit either way. You pick which or who among them is being professional I suppose. The paper will either have the goods or it won't...... science or sham-science. That is assuming there will be a paper.

I just found this while researching a reply in another thread. From the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature on the acceptiblitity of DNA as a "type specimen":

So, the hair, or skin sample or whatever IS a valid "type specimen" with DNA sequencing.

So much for that issue.

CheckMate

Guest Theagenes

So, the hair, or skin sample or whatever IS a valid "type specimen" with DNA sequencing.

So much for that issue.

Unless all she has is modern human DNA that's "novel" only because isn't in GenBank. Saying that the sample came from BF and BF is human won't work. This is where the nDNA that she says is not modern human is critical. She's got to show that it isn't just degraded modern human DNA. If that holds up to scrutiny then she's got something. I hope that's the case.

Guest thermalman

That's why it's up for peer review. :) I don't think she'd present anything but the real deal.

Edited by thermalman

Not even close to being the same. Proponents have scientifically analyzable evidence that conforms to known biological norms for distirbution pattern (in the case of tracks), has been analyzed to have come from a to-date unknown primate (forensically typed hairs), and so forth.

Skeptics keeps sputtering on about "infallible", "objective", etc Science, when Science is none of that, a fact that has been demonstrated. Not only is it argument ad authority, it is entirely unearned and invalid authority.

Science ought to be objective, true. I, a skeptic, have never suggested science is "infallible," and I have not seen any skeptical comments that suggest it is. Are you setting up a "straw man," Mulder?

Oh really, so where can I see these 100 samples and the film of that one being taken? Oh wait, that's right it's not available, just a bunch of talk, no evidence brought forth what so ever. Lacking!

What would it do to show you the samples?

Maybe so, either way, if a peer-reviewed journal doesn't publish it and it comes out in monograph or other scientific form on=line then there WILL be peer-review and critics judging it's scientific merit either way. You pick which or who among them is being professional I suppose. The paper will either have the goods or it won't...... science or sham-science. That is assuming there will be a paper.

IF the paper is ultimately rejected, I want to see exactly what the reviewer objections are and who they are so we can know if it is bad science or biased reviewers behind such a rejection.

CheckMate

Pretty much.

The Ketchum report is a joke.

*snip media per forum rule*

And Disotell's authority to make such a pronouncement is?

Guest Cervelo

Norse,

That was good stuff thanks for posting it.

So is it correct that not only is Dr.K claiming Bigfoot, but also another unknown that breed with modern humans to produce Bigfoot?

Edited by Cervelo

Unless all she has is modern human DNA that's "novel" only because isn't in GenBank. Saying that the sample came from BF and BF is human won't work. This is where the nDNA that she says is not modern human is critical. She's got to show that it isn't just degraded modern human DNA. If that holds up to scrutiny then she's got something. I hope that's the case.

You will want to see the "alignment scores" on the Novel DNA. Not in Genbank, is just a starting point. Degradation wouldn't likely occur on just the male lineage. Recombination vs contamination would get sorted out with enough study.

The Ketchum report is a joke.

Is there a point to speed forward to for a salient argument or do I have to wade through 2 hours to see what you are talking about?

Tim B.

Best case scenario: Ketchum paper is published in a reputable journal after passing peer review.

Lesser case: She publishes it herself. Millions will read it and spread the word, eventho very few

of us can actually verify the science of it.

Either way, it will be ridiculed; that's the kneejerk way.

If only 10% of the scientists who are qualified to understand her findings have open minds, there

will be an undercurrent of approval for the discovery.

Since I think Bf exists, I assume Dr. Sykes will find the same thing that Ketchum did. As a best-selling

author with a great reputation in academia, he will have no problem getting published.

The Russians will say, "We found Sasquatch first, and we told you so!"

The undercurrent of accepting Bigfoot will swell dramatically. Younger scientists will want to join in the

ongoing discovery.

I believe all this will happen in 2013.

There is absolutely No Good Reason to shoot Bigfoot!!