Bird Calls and Bigfoot

Tylo

11 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Very interesting. Do you happen to know of any direct reports of a Sasquatch being observed mimicking local wildlife?

Direct reports of Bigfoot being observed mimicking wildlife?  

No.

Just like we have no direct reports of them being seen making a tree structure or a wood knock.  

But, it sounded odd.  Like I said, I didn't see what made it and it didn't sound like a normal owl.... however, it could have been just a weird sounding owl.   I have never heard it again in that area.

• Upvote 1

Direct reports of Bigfoot being observed mimicking wildlife?  

No.

Just like we have no direct reports of them being seen making a tree structure or a wood knock.  

But, it sounded odd.  Like I said, I didn't see what made it and it didn't sound like a normal owl.... however, it could have been just a weird sounding owl.   I have never heard it again in that area.

I stayed at a remote wilderness cabin in the Smokey Mountains region and the proprietor said he once had a guest (a mother and two children) who were hiking in the woods and they heard a very deep snorting sound. They ran back into the cabin and locked all of the doors and told the proprietor that a Bigfoot was in the area. They never claimed to see anything just heard the noise. I enquired further about the incident and the proprietor said it was most likely a buck snort. 

Granted the woman was probably not too familiar with the forest, but this leads me to wonder if Sasquatches might potentially mimic buck snort. 

• Like 1

BFF Patron

These are some of my favorite topics, I can't identify something therefore Bigfeets!

Record it send it to these guys and they will identify the bird for you .

Edited by Foxhill
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

These are some of my favorite topics, I can't identify something therefore Bigfeets!

Record it send it to these guys and they will identify the bird for you .

Here.... send this to em and see which bird made it!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, norseman said:

Here.... send this to em and see which bird made it!

LOL, I'll leave that up to you, I'd rather not waste their time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, JKH said:

This was an interesting thread, resurrecting it to bring up something that recently occurred to me. There's a thing I use called Next Door that's like local discussion boards/groups. Sometimes wildlife gets discussed, thankfully not always negatively, but some folks freak out over cougar and coyote sightings. There was a recent discussion about a backyard photo of a barred owl, of which there are many around. So another person stated that they heard spotted owl calls from a canyon near their home, but there must be some confusion, since I don't think spotted owls exist here. When I looked them up at the Cornell Lab, I found this in the description:  "To stay in contact, mated pairs also emit a hollow whistling sound that rises in pitch at the end."  These sounds can be heard in the background of the second example and in the third example at the link.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Spotted_Owl/sounds

They sound similar to classic BF whoop sounds to me, and to Redbone's examples on the last page. In the third clip at the link, notice how the call echoes. It makes great sense that BF communications would carry long distances for locating others and that they'd use mimicry. I'm not thinking that the BFs specifically mimic that species, as whoop calls are commonly reported in all regions, but they resemble general bird calls enough to escape notice.

I think I'll get over there to drop a recorder, anyway! :thumbsup:

I agree that the spotted owl calls are similar. Let me just check the range map. Oops... my sounds were recorded near the yellow arrow. :)

Edit: A juvenile Barred Owl could be a possibility. Check the last sound clip. Not quite the same, but maybe?... https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

image.thumb.png.84dd8a0bfb6acbb09c3b6a412d249780.png

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

LOL, I'll leave that up to you, I'd rather not waste their time.

Huh....that seems ironic.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

I stayed at a remote wilderness cabin in the Smokey Mountains region and the proprietor said he once had a guest (a mother and two children) who were hiking in the woods and they heard a very deep snorting sound. They ran back into the cabin and locked all of the doors and told the proprietor that a Bigfoot was in the area. They never claimed to see anything just heard the noise. I enquired further about the incident and the proprietor said it was most likely a buck snort. 

Granted the woman was probably not too familiar with the forest, but this leads me to wonder if Sasquatches might potentially mimic buck snort. 

I don't know.

I spend a fair amount of time in the woods at night...heard tons of owls.  This one sounded different and just as I originally described.  It was different enough to make me stop and listen.

Like I said before, I didn't see what made the noise so I can't definitively say what it was.  It occurred in an area with a history of Sasquatch sightings and others have heard what they thought were imitation calls in the past and associated them with Sasquatch.

I heard the strange owl call, but I didn't say that Bigfoot was definitely the cause.

18 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

Anytime we here snorts or something similar we attribute it to deer, or even elk if we are near Cataloochee in the Smoky Mountains.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:11 PM, Redbone said:

I agree that the spotted owl calls are similar. Let me just check the range map. Oops... my sounds were recorded near the yellow arrow. :)

Edit: A juvenile Barred Owl could be a possibility. Check the last sound clip. Not quite the same, but maybe?... https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

image.thumb.png.84dd8a0bfb6acbb09c3b6a412d249780.png

Yeah I know... I quoted myself, but it took a a day for the thoughts to register.

I have Hundreds, if not thousands of owl calls recorded. If I had a juvenile spotted owl in the woods here, I would also need to have it's parents.

I went through all the spotted owl sounds and cannot say any of the calls and songs are familiar, except of course the juvenile calls.

In two weeks I will have 1000 hours of new audio to go through. As an aside, I will try to indentify what types of owls I DO have.

Mostly I get barred owl and great horned owl sounds on my recorders, but I will pay more attention for others.

A Second thought I had was that maybe we need a thread of recorded wildlife sounds that we know are NOT sasquatch related. I have deer snorts, coyotes, owls, woodpeckers, turkeys, and about any other bird that can be found in Iowa and Nebraska. Maybe we can teach somebody that owls making chatter are not monkeys, coyote howls are not from bigfoot, and that angry raccoons can sound really nasty.

10 minutes ago, Redbone said:

Yeah I know... I quoted myself, but it took a a day for the thoughts to register.

I have Hundreds, if not thousands of owl calls recorded. If I had a juvenile spotted owl in the woods here, I would also need to have it's parents.

I went through all the spotted owl sounds and cannot say any of the calls and songs are familiar, except of course the juvenile calls.

In two weeks I will have 1000 hours of new audio to go through. As an aside, I will try to indentify what types of owls I DO have.

Mostly I get barred owl and great horned owl sounds on my recorders, but I will pay more attention for others.

A Second thought I had was that maybe we need a thread of recorded wildlife sounds that we know are NOT sasquatch related. I have deer snorts, coyotes, owls, woodpeckers, turkeys, and about any other bird that can be found in Iowa and Nebraska. Maybe we can teach somebody that owls making chatter are not monkeys, coyote howls are not from bigfoot, and that angry raccoons can sound really nasty.

I would start a thread of known animal sounds in the field sub section.

3 hours ago, Redbone said:

We have id'ed wildlife sounds in various threads, but not a dedicated one, so good idea.

I have many owl calls, as well, mostly barred. Barn owls sound like a piercing whistle or screech, which I learned after recording a very few. There are a couple of nearby large fields surrounded by trees where I've recorded and heard them, so I need to visit them again.

On a recent walk, we heard a barred owl yards above start up and it was almost like a loud scream, but then went into it's call, think it scared my friend for a minute.