Weapon Of Choice

Rod

I wish the ammo manufacturers would create some deliberately light, deer loads, so you could use large caliber turn bolts and the like chambered for 375 H&H or 338 WIn Mag more often. I guess there's no money in it.

Edited by Florida reader

When I was in Iraq back in 2004 we had a lot of contact with the Blackwater team that worked in our AO. They were mostly S. African and a couple of the older Recce vets were telling stories one time about shooting cape buffalo with thier 7.62 FAL rifles.

Did they say 40 rounds of 7.62 x 51 would get the job done?

Actually they said Cape Buffalo were pretty easy to kill for the most part and 7.62 FMJ would work fine. But every once in a while one would try to bugger you up and the whole squad would blast away.

Thanks for the link. Good stuff - They are sure to get some of my money.

Don't have personal experience with the holsters, but having been making them for myself and family and a few friends for over 40 years, they look excellent, from the stand point of both quality craftsmanship and innovative design. I can tell you that the 5 Star speedloaders they sell are a cut above. I bought a pair (in pink) as a birthday gift for my daughter and was very impressed with their quality and function. I carry Safariland after switching from HKS a decade ago, and these are at least as tight and very smooth. Hope to have a chance to try them at the range when we get to Seattle in December.

Darrell,

All I know about cape buffalo is what I've read and been told by a friend that had been to Africa.  He was told by a guide in Kenya that cape buffalo regard humans as if they owe them money.  I know of two cases where cape buffalo went 20 yards after receiving a large caliber rifle bullet through the heart.  So it's not like I am well informed on the subject.  I do highly recommend reading Patterson's "Man Eaters of Tsavo".  It's also recommended by Teddy Roosevelt.  This is the book that the movie "Ghost in the Darkness" is based upon.  Patterson loved hunting with his 303 despite the fact that even his contemporaries regarded the cartridge as "pop gun" in Africa.  He used solid bullets (brass I think...been too long).  He used the rifle to kill the two man eating lions as well as hippos (head shot), but he tried unsuccessfully to take a rhino with the gun.  He was lucky to have tall grass to hide in!

Airdale,

I've already placed my holster order.  I am going to get the speed loaders, but spent too much of my toy allowance to do it now.  I am really disappointed in big bore HKS speed loaders.  I don't know why they are loose as compared to those speed loaders for K and L frame revolvers.  Thanks for the tip.

Crabshack,

Good point about the rifles that were really used.  We have a vast selection of weapons and cartridges today.  While I have a great deal of respect for 44 S&W SPL and 45 Colt, I do like to have 44 Mag and 454 Casull available should I need to express my inner feelings to a large animal.  Not to mention the artistic flair available from 35 Whelen, 45-70, 338 WM and 375 H&H.

Edited by Florida reader

FR, I think you'll be amazed at the difference. I've only used speedloaders in .38/357 as my .44 Mag was a Super Blackhawk. Safariland and 5 Star are far tighter than HKS in that size. Don't know if you've heard of Jerry Miculek, he holds the world record of 2.99 seconds for 12 shots including a reload from a custom S & W revolver and he uses Safariland. Here's a video link: 

I used a stopwatch to time his first 6 shot string as closely as possible and came up with 0.8 seconds. That calculates out to a cyclic rate of 450 rounds per minute which is the lower end of the range for a Ma Deuce!

If you check out 5 Star Firearms site, http://www.5starfirearms.com/index.html, they have a number of accessories such as range blocks, carriers, etc. The color/finish options are much more limited in the big bore loaders than the .38/.357 however.