Weapon Of Choice

Rod

• 1 month later...

Sako 85 Black Bear 30-06 on the shoulder

Barnes TSX 168 gr 

HK45 on the hip "after Jan 1st" when our new open carry law takes affect

Buffalo Bore .45acp +P Hard Cast 255 gr 

Thankfully next year CHL holders can now open carry which means I can now carry my .45 on my hip when hunting the national forests here in Texas.

I used to carry just an AR for hunting pigs in the National forests but now that I have figured out that I am in bigfoot central the arsenal has increased a little just in case.

you cannot open carry in the woods?

Sadly, no. All handguns must be concealed when carried even when you hunt with it.  I live in a communist state that's loaded with loser liberals. Freaks actually.

BFF Patron

Sounds like a dangerous place when only the criminals have guns.

Norse...I've  heard contrasting statements about the recoil of a .45-70. Some say it kicks like a mule while others say its not bad at all. I think Chuck Hawk's Rifle recoil Tables show it at 37.9lbs of recoil which is about double that of a 30.06 with a 150 gr bullet. Not afraid of recoil as evidenced by my owning a 454 Casull. I'm evaluating my choices for a lightweight mountain gun and a .45-70 is one of them.

What is your experience with the .45-70 recoil?

I have a 450 marlin which is basically a hot 45/70

My rifle is 6 lbs unloaded, with an 18 1/2 inch ported barell

You know when you pull the trigger, but it is more noise and muzzle blast than recoil

my one nephew just bought the same rifle but his muzzle had a threaded cap installed by a gunsmith

I want to try it to see how I like it

Norse...I've  heard contrasting statements about the recoil of a .45-70. Some say it kicks like a mule while others say its not bad at all. I think Chuck Hawk's Rifle recoil Tables show it at 37.9lbs of recoil which is about double that of a 30.06 with a 150 gr bullet. Not afraid of recoil as evidenced by my owning a 454 Casull. I'm evaluating my choices for a lightweight mountain gun and a .45-70 is one of them.

With +P loads it kicks hard. With milder loads its docile, but Iam a bigger feller than most.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends entirely on which .45-70 you're talking about, and which bullets you load.

If you're speaking of the original .45-70 Government (trap door), or rifles such as the 1873 Springfield, H&R Shakiri, 1886 Winchester, Rolling Block 45-70's, with a 25,000 cup, they will push a 300 grain bullet 1800-1900 fps, max.  With the larger rifles, you'll be able to shoot that thing all day.

If you're speaking of the .45-70 Government (1895 Marlin), the pressures are held to 40,000 cup maximum.  This rifle operates in the same action as the .444 Marlin, which operates at a 44,000 cup maximum.  Now you can use both the 300-grain bullets and the 350 grain bullets, but not the 500-grain bullets as when seated enough to load in the magazine, it has the cannalure below the mouth of the case, which takes up too much case volume and allows no place for crimping.  And of course, the heavier bullet requires a bit more pressure to do well ballistically.  Now, with the 300-grain bullet, you can pressure it up and squeeze another 100fps out, maxing out at some 2000fps or 2100fps.  Also using the 350-grain bullet, you can push that one out at 1800-1900fps.

If you're speaking of the .45-70 Government (Ruger #1), the charges can put pushed to the 50,000 cup level, and can be used in actions such as the Ruger #1, Browning 78, Wickliffe, and .45-70's Mausers chambered in the Siamese Mauser bolt action.

But now if you are careful, you can push a 500-grain bullet only 400fps slower than the Winchester .458 magnum.

This will push the 300-grain bullet to 2100-2200fps max, and the 500-grain bullet to 1700-1800fps.

These, especially the 500-grain rounds tend to be a whole lot more punishing that the original .45-70.

So you've heard correctly.  Some are comfortable - and some are a bit punishing.  Depends on your action, your bullet weight, and how much powder you use.

I'm sure that makes things as clear as mud.

If you're speaking of the

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got my hands on a bolt action 25-06. Sweet little gun, and very accurate. I can shot a 1 inch group from 150 yards with it. They say you can use it for elk and moose. Heard some say makes a good black bear gun too. Nice gun and no doubt it would be good for flat long range shooting on something but I am feeling it might lack the power for an up close stopper. Still it is fun to shoot, nice little recoil for someone my size. 

I recently got my hands on a bolt action 25-06. Sweet little gun, and very accurate. I can shot a 1 inch group from 150 yards with it. They say you can use it for elk and moose. Heard some say makes a good black bear gun too. Nice gun and no doubt it would be good for flat long range shooting on something but I am feeling it might lack the power for an up close stopper. Still it is fun to shoot, nice little recoil for someone my size.

Thats what Smeja supposedly shot his squatch with....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25-06_Remington

I would stick with Deer with that cartridge.

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

Personally I think that it is too small to reliably kill moose or elk for the average hunter

I witnessed a 1 shot kill on a good sized moose by a guy shooting a 6mm (240) Remington, however I think that was an exception to the rule

I believe that we owe it to the animals that we hunt, to dispatch them as humanely as possible and that includes using firearms/cartridge/bullet combinations that will reliably work on them if we do our part

I would stick with Deer with that cartridge.

agreed..... i had a 25 06 that was a tack driver , it  worked well on whitetail deer. 

however, it had  a fairly light bullet and usually also lightly constructed more  for quick expansion , and not so much deeper penetration like required for   a bigger critter .