Weapon Of Choice

Rod

the 92 is .357 mag

the other is a 1970 94 in 30-30.

The little Springfield is my EDC.  have a gov. model as well.

The other is a mini-30 I re barreled and accurized. its a 300 yard pig slayer. Shot a speedgoat in Montana with it at 420..  I get another 75 yards out of it at least out west..LOL

The 92 is a great hog gun..  I'll often times grab it instead of an AR for night time bumps.  I load JSP 158's that leave around 2100 fps.. its no joke inside 100. keep separate loads for the GP-100... 125s.  most times I don't carry both though.

Just got done making a HB .22 K-Hornet as well a few months back that should be a blast with 35 gr NTXs..  I need to start working up loads.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Darrell

Today seems like a good day to bump this thread with a new picture:

ElkzaAyl.jpg

4 of my 1911's. A Springfield Armory (SA) Milspec Loaded, SA Range Officer, Kimber Pro Carry, and a SA GI Lightweight Champion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Believe it or not, many African Elephants have been taken with the venerable .45-70! Would I advise trying it? Hell NO! But it has been done.

375 H&H is widely considered the standard for African Big Game, but I don't think I would tangle with an elephant with anything less than something in the Forty caliber range. Then again, I wouldn't shoot an elephant at all for any reason other than saving my own hide. That's just me.

If I was going to try to take a Sasquatch from a distance, like from a sniping hide, I think a .338 Lapua with a good heavy duty thermal optic would be my first choice.

For walking around and hoping to spot one at close range I think the .45-70 is a practical choice, and about as reliable as they come. If I had my choice of any weapon though, personally I think I might go for something like a .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf AR format rifles. If for no other reason than the fact that if there is more than one Sasquatch, I would want the quickest follow up shots and maximum round capacity possible at that moment. I don't doubt for a second that one might tear you limb from limb for firing on a family member! :o

Edited by Irish73

For those Marlin 1895G owners who want the extra 2 rounds, it can be had for $115, under "available options":

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/lever_cust.asp

Revolvers are typically the goto bush pistol but I'm surprised there was no mention of the 460 Rowland conversion for the 1911, if you already own one, a decent option. It's a drop in kit for a modest $300 and safely upgrades power to the low range of 44 mag: http://www.realguns.com/archives/106.htm

255gr hc-fn @ 1300 fps/957ft.lbs-- not too shabby: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=231

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a live and let live kind of guy but for solo travels out in the boonies up North it's nice to have one of these at hand: Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion with a Clark's .460 Rowland conversion and a Marlin 444P filled up with the biggest Buffulo Bore has to offer.

post-23923-0-15791700-1395425557_thumb.j

post-23923-0-40636900-1395425580_thumb.j

Guest keninsc

Smith&Wesson 4506, .45 ACP and two spare mags. I also carry a tomahawk, a large knife, a Kabar BK-9, a couple smaller knives and depending where my trusty Mossberg M590a1, 12ga pump shotgun.

Yeah, I know. I look like a cross between Moses and Rambo.

Edited by keninsc

• 1 month later...

Where we travel, the most dangerous things in the woods are:

(listed in order of least to most dangerous)

Black Bear

Cottonmouth Snakes

Cougar

Feral Hogs

Humans

Unless it's hunting season, I will have the Ruger .44 mag. SBH with either Hornady Leverevolution in it or Garrett Hammerhead bullets (if I/we suspect feral hogs are about that day/night) along with a SOG tactical tomahawk and a Cold Steel SRK.  If the area has a high potential for suspected drug activity, will often strap on the Glock model 30 and even shoulder the Marlin SS Guide gun as well although the Marlin levergun in .44 mag has 2X the load capacity and with the Ruger SBH, I can carry the same ammo for two guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Our team ends up in a lot of different types of areas. We are not looking for the same critter most of y'all are ( we hunt Loup Garou'/Dogmen) so our choices of weapon's and gear is probably a little different . These are my observations based on our experiences in the field. Our team has 7 members 4 guys and three females. The Ladies mostly carry small caliber pistols ..nothing fancy. We started out using mostly stuff based on an AK platform just because of a couple of the guys built their own and can do any needed repairs in the field . Two of the team still carry the Aks . Sometimes . Problem is fitted with a 70 round drum they are Heavy as heck . No fun to lug deep into the woods and swamps so those are mostly used when we are only a mile or two in. We always have at least one shotgun ..the saiga 12 is great for short expeditions but also heavy as heck..esp with a 20 round drum. For me Shotgun of choice is the Kel-tek KSG . There have been some bad reviews but so far no issues in the field. It is great for close quarters which is what we need in the swamps , woods , and old abandoned mines. My daughter seems to like using the Kriss Super vector – 45 but low recoil , light weight and easy to carry. I have of late been using a PS90 which I admit does not have huge amounts of stopping power..it makes up for that with light weight , maneuverability , rate of fire , and the very high capacity mag.

We have a few Ar-15s and Ar 10s in the “ go box†that get a little use. Now for the oddball . a black powder 1851 confederate nave .44 and a .45 Kentucky Flintlock ..why ? Because we discovered silver bullets are really bad for modern rifle barrels...

I also carry a S.O.G. Fasthawk and assorted bladed items.... and .(.of course this is just because it seemed the thing to do.)...all our bladed items are blessed on an alter to St. Hubert ….not an easy task to get done btw ….  We only carry for defense...we are out to investigate not capture or kill..but you can never be too safe.   pics and such on our facebook if anyone is curious ..but the big question is this. What do you guys use for  mosquitos ? 

oh , and iI want to point out that  I am not really a " gun guy"  ..just carry a little while in the woods..

Can't be too careful.....he does not want to run out of ammo...the p90 solves that problem for me and is super light...