Weapon Of Choice

Rod

For all those that like guns and your wife doesn't.

I just added a Remington 870 to my collection.

With a little work, I will have it looking like this.

Remington_870_Home_Defense_A.jpg

Mike (watch1)

How far in are you going with something so heavy and bulky?  The places I go squatchin' require me to backpack in a good distance and I can't imagine carrying something so heavy.  Moreover, if I came across a state ranger in my travel (and that has happened a few times), I'd have some 'splainin' to do.

"Can I see your hunting license?"

"Aaah, good morning Ranger Rick,Sure."

"What are you hunting in June?"

"Ummm, hunting red squirrel?"

"With that 12 gauge?"

"They can get mean real fast."

"Why did you hike all the way in here for them?"

"Well, aaah, you gotta go deep to get the big ones."

BFF Patron

Never seen a state ranger or federal ranger where I do field work.    They are just not out of their stations or vehicles.    The fire I called in, only the county fire department showed up to put it out.   Not crazy about vests either.  In warmer weather less I wear the better so I just have to tolerate the pack.    Thankfully warm weather does not last long in the PNW. 

Some nature show I was watching in bear country in Alaska they had some sort of lever action rifle on a sling with apparently big caliber ammo for bear defense.    It was not as bulky as a shotgun but might have weighed the same.   Wonder what that might have been? 

BFF Patron

That was it Norseman.   The ballistics of the bullet are interesting.   Hardly flat at all as it has a fairly low muzzle velocity but lots of mass in the bullet.      Sort of like lobbing an artillery round at something.      When I was looking it up ran into a personal account of someone that was charged  by a brown bear.     He hit it between the eyes, the bullet went completely through the skull, the body and exited out the rear end of the bear.   It dropped in a pile just beyond where it was hit.     Others like it because they don't have to worry about following a wounded deer, they drop where they are hit. 

its on the low end of dangerous game stoppers with .600 nitro express being on the high end.

its a perfect caliber for north america though. i dont leave home without mine.

Anyone figure out how to attach a holster to their pack?.    The military (Seals) seem to have some sort of pack or vest holster for their hand guns.   Never seen anything like that in the civilian world.    I would rather have the gun weight distributed on my pack straps than trying to de-pants me even if it means a cross draw type holster. 

Been looking at this recommendation from another BFF member.      Does it feed reliably?     The ammo shows a lot of stopping power and velocity. 

I carry my handgun in a HIllPeopleGear Original Kit Bag (OKB). It's the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever purchased, bar none. Everything you need is at your fingertips. My backpack, whether its the light ZPacks Blast or heavy McHale pack, fit over the OKB perfectly with no issues of straps being uncomfortable. The bag is so comfortable I often don;t even know I'm wearing it.

I carry the handgun, which can be withdrawn in a second, PLB, GPS, firestarter, map, compass, flashlight and more in it.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ProductID/1/Default.aspx

Here is an excellent video or two about it:

Edited by wiiawiwb

Admin

Do you need a concealed carry permit in your state?

Unless you have one, I think most LEO would frown on the device and can cause you a lot of trouble, jail time most likely. If you're in a open carry state and don't have a concealed carry permit, same fate. You're better off with a side holster and a "fanny bag" for the extra magazines.

I'm just saying, make sure you know the laws in your state before you go using these utility packs. Your intentions may be good, but the law doesn't really care about that. A concealed weapon without a permit has severe penalties.

Edited by gigantor

BFF Patron

That is a good point. That enclosed bag is not open carry and would be considered concealed. The primary reason I carry a gun doing field work is cougars and bears to a lesser extent so I want access to the weapon quickly. So far bears I have encountered are more afraid of me than I am of them.   A closed bag like that does not look like you could draw the weapon very quickly.   I have a concealed carry permit more for avoiding transportation issues and having to constantly load and unload to transport.    Also some people are very nervous about guns in general so to humor them I carry the weapon in my pack so they don't know I have it.    If we needed it I think they would be happy I had it.     There is one state park trailhead that prohibits weapons.     Not sure how they can do that but it is posted that way.      I may just have to modify a fabric holster somehow to get what I want that is pack mounted. 

How far in are you going with something so heavy and bulky? The places I go squatchin' require me to backpack in a good distance and I can't imagine carrying something so heavy. Moreover, if I came across a state ranger in my travel (and that has happened a few times), I'd have some 'splainin' to do.

"Can I see your hunting license?"

"Aaah, good morning Ranger Rick,Sure."

"What are you hunting in June?"

"Ummm, hunting red squirrel?"

"With that 12 gauge?"

"They can get mean real fast."

"Why did you hike all the way in here for them?"

"Well, aaah, you gotta go deep to get the big ones."

My 450 marlin rifle weighs 6 lbs unloaded

Not hugely more than a holster and 44 magnum revolver

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=003C&mid=534105

Edited by MagniAesir

• 1 month later...

My weapon of choice is three fold. The first would be the weapon of  knowledge of the area and awareness of your surroundings,. The second weapon would be a large canister of bear spray.  The third, and final, weapon would be a Ruger SRH Toklat in 454 Casull.  It would only be deployed only as a path of last resort if the first two failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA

Washington is fairly straight forward WRT their concealed carry permits so long as you have a clean record. I actually had a permit there a year before Montana passed a shall issue law, and I keep it current as Washington doesn't recognize Montana permits because we allow 18 year olds to obtain a permit if they qualify otherwise. Montana does recognize Washington permits last time I checked, and Idaho recognizes both.

not too shabby

Norse,

I don't know if you watched the video I linked to up above but Hickok45 was wearing a Diamond D holster which I remember you've recommended to others before.  I'd get that exact holster for my Toklat but I live in a concealed carry state.

Edited by wiiawiwb