Jump to content
gunner1977

Expedition recommendation?

Recommended Posts

gunner1977

I've seen some incredible film from Standing, but as mentioned he's a known hoaxer and I wouldn't take a chance with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
8 hours ago, starchunk said:

 

Or you can go out and do it yourself, Standing is widely seen as a fraud and thus would be a waste of cash.


Exactly.

 

Read some reports, get some maps, and go enjoy the outdoors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, norseman said:


Exactly.

 

Read some reports, get some maps, and go enjoy the outdoors!

This.

 

Unless your physical health precludes you from going out, you will have a much better chance at encountering activity with one or two people.  

 

Going with a bunch of people (and paying for the privilege) is good if you are looking for a social outing with like minded people.  

 

Take the money that you were going to spend with the BFRO and get yourself a good compass and maps if you already don't have one.  

 

 

 

 

Also, I think that you guys missed @langfordbc's sarcasm.

 

 

1ea298ea0988d889cb9fd3569e5a6ba3.jpg

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

This.

 

Unless your physical health precludes you from going out, you will have a much better chance at encountering activity with one or two people.  

 

Going with a bunch of people (and paying for the privilege) is good if you are looking for a social outing with like minded people.  

 

Take the money that you were going to spend with the BFRO and get yourself a good compass and maps if you already don't have one.  

Lol.

 

Also, I think that you guys missed @langfordbc's sarcasm.

 

 

1ea298ea0988d889cb9fd3569e5a6ba3.jpg


No. I caught it. It goes without saying.... but it’s not just Standing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Somerset

From the outside looking in these things look like a money making scam, get away with it once and you appear to be made, probably helps if you have a friend who can return your paying parties wood knocks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7.62
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Somerset said:

From the outside looking in these things look like a money making scam, get away with it once and you appear to be made, probably helps if you have a friend who can return your paying parties wood knocks!!

I wouldn't call all of them scams if the party encounters activity but it's so d##n rare for anyone to encounter activity .

I mean people that spend their own time and money out there searching . I know we have a few members that have had some active locations but even they

know how rare it is for something like this to happen .

Also I think for some there's no activity but they perceive something that can be explained as natural or made by a known animal or even people and 

convince themselves they have had activity .

Edited by 7.62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Catmandoo
4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Take the money that you were going to spend with the BFRO and get yourself a good compass and maps if you already don't have one.  

 

True..You do not need a scripted, choreographed camping trip.  A 2 person 'group' is good. 3 person group is borderline because some people talk too much.  Start out slow and easy.........no epic 10 mile hikes. Car camping is a good start.

Stay safe while you are learning the animal inventory in your respective area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
52 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

I wouldn't call all of them scams if the party encounters activity but it's so d##n rare for anyone to encounter activity .

I mean people that spend their own time and money out there searching . I know we have a few members that have had some active locations but even they

know how rare it is for something like this to happen .

Also I think for some there's no activity but they perceive something that can be explained as natural or made by a known animal or even people and 

convince themselves they have had activity .


I know certain groups that do not get a forest service permit to act as a “for hire guide” while operating on the National Forest. That’s a No No. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
1 minute ago, norseman said:


I know certain groups that do not get a forest service permit to act as a “for hire guide” while operating on the National Forest. That’s a No No. 

That's what happened to the Big Thicket guys, iirc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7.62
3 minutes ago, norseman said:


I know certain groups that do not get a forest service permit to act as a “for hire guide” while operating on the National Forest. That’s a No No. 

I remember reading it was a well known group maybe it was the BFRO that got busted for it but not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cmknight

I've been on a couple of BFRO expeditions now, and I can say that the local organizers are very thorough, and they are very serious when it comes to Bigfoot. The money that is charged does not all go to the BFRO. A fair chunk of it goes back to the organizers for the time they spend, as well as the fuel and food required, to go out on their own, on their own time, to locate a good spot outside of their own research areas, where chances are likely for expedition members to have some sort of an encounter. A good example of that is the organizer for this year's Vancouver Island expedition. He is a military veteran, and a friend of mine, and he has spent the past 2 years researching all over Vancouver Island to come up with a location that he feels can reward expedition members with an experience they will remember for a long time. He is a serious researcher and spends a lot of time in the woods. He has also written a book, "Wood Knocks and Tossed Rocks" about what it's like on a BFRO expedition (Note: in his book, he's not all that kind about Matt Moneymaker, LOL).

 

I have personally been out on one expedition, near Harrison, where there was a sighting on thermal. On other expeditions, there have been knocks and rocks thrown, as well as prints found.

 

I know a lot of members here like to dis the BFRO, but their expedition leaders are quite serious about what they do, and spend a lot of time beating the brush.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7.62
5 minutes ago, cmknight said:

I've been on a couple of BFRO expeditions now, and I can say that the local organizers are very thorough, and they are very serious when it comes to Bigfoot. The money that is charged does not all go to the BFRO. A fair chunk of it goes back to the organizers for the time they spend, as well as the fuel and food required, to go out on their own, on their own time, to locate a good spot outside of their own research areas, where chances are likely for expedition members to have some sort of an encounter. A good example of that is the organizer for this year's Vancouver Island expedition. He is a military veteran, and a friend of mine, and he has spent the past 2 years researching all over Vancouver Island to come up with a location that he feels can reward expedition members with an experience they will remember for a long time. He is a serious researcher and spends a lot of time in the woods. He has also written a book, "Wood Knocks and Tossed Rocks" about what it's like on a BFRO expedition (Note: in his book, he's not all that kind about Matt Moneymaker, LOL).

 

I have personally been out on one expedition, near Harrison, where there was a sighting on thermal. On other expeditions, there have been knocks and rocks thrown, as well as prints found.

 

I know a lot of members here like to dis the BFRO, but their expedition leaders are quite serious about what they do, and spend a lot of time beating the brush.

Was the sighting recorded and you viewed it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
1 hour ago, 7.62 said:

I remember reading it was a well known group maybe it was the BFRO that got busted for it but not sure.

Bob Garrett and his group down in the Big Thicket got busted for running expeditions on public property without permits.  That is the first one that comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7.62

Thanks

Just googled that , seems there was possibly some shenanigans going on . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb

I think researching reports only goes so far.  It may get you to a large, general area where some reports have come. Narrowing it down is where the rubber meets the road. My own experience is that some groups that go out never report their activity so reports will never identify or illuminate those specific areas.

 

Join a local group and become active with them. You'll begin hearing about activity learned no other way.  Then you'll know what areas have produced in the past and either go on future expeditions with them or go on your own.

 

If there are no groups in your area then study published reports and try to establish patterns. My own experience has been that sightings or events are often associated with areas near water.  Other regions may have sightings associated with certain terrain features or possibly even migration of food sources. 

 

One final thought. If you can't find a local group, try going to a Bigfoot event or festival within a day's drive. You may be surprised to meet people in your area with whom you can establish bigfooting relationship. That could lead to discussions which to a hike together and eventually an overnight or weekend excursion. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...