Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wiiawiwb

Spring's Upcoming Sasquatching Adventures

Recommended Posts

wiiawiwb

As Old ManWinter begins to gentles release his hold, the world outside will come alive once again.  I'm already preparing my strategy for getting out into the woods for a variety of activities. I'll spend a lot of time looking for footprints and other signs of movement. The ground will be soft and hopefully allow for a glimpse of what has been passing through and maybe even staying in the area. Doing both overnight and extended stays will be in my schedule in about a month.

 

We've had a lot of time during winter to ponder about Spring and what we'll be doing during some of the best times to go sasquatching.  For me, the thermal will get dusted off, the sound equipment readied for recording, and my outdoor gear generally cleaned up and ready to go.  There are always things on our wish list and I'm hopeful to get a parabolic dish in Spring and add it to the arsenal. 

 

I've identified two places that border my existing sasquatching honey holes.  I'll be studying the topo maps and planning routes to those two areas for both day and evening adventures. New areas are exciting especially when they pull you farther off the beaten trail and don't know what to expect. No one around for miles, and difficult travel for humans, but in an area that is teeming with wildlife. 

 

One area has had several sightings and a number of tree falling incidents. Too many to be natural. One happened to me last Fall. I'm eager to see what occurs when you push further into what might be an area you are not welcome in. We'll see.

 

I'm ready to get out and have a productive sasquatching Spring planned. What do you have planned for your upcoming Spring adventures?

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twist

Sounds like you have a great plan and summer ahead.

 

 

Ive just added a little more cast iron to my collection as well as some other cooking gear.  I’m big on camp food and eating good!   Also since my first trip will be truck camping I’m going to grab a mattress that fits in my Tahoe so I can be even more comfortable when I sleep.  That’s about it for my supplies, as far as BF goes either he wanders thru or he doesn’t, that’s on him lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716

Wii, SOUNDS AWESOME!

 

Twist, I like your thinking. I hope to camp more this year once I fix the truck, just like you described. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlee

I bought a new trail camera and as soon as a little more snow melts I am setting up in a area I have had a lot of animal traffic.

I have a alpine trip  planned which involves a lengthy jeep trip with about 10 miles of hiking at the end. There is a winter cabin there I could overnight in and has been some reported unusual activity by the locals.  It is Grizzly Bear country and as remote as you can get.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NatFoot
On 3/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, Rlee said:

I bought a new trail camera and as soon as a little more snow melts I am setting up in a area I have had a lot of animal traffic.

I have a alpine trip  planned which involves a lengthy jeep trip with about 10 miles of hiking at the end. There is a winter cabin there I could overnight in and has been some reported unusual activity by the locals.  It is Grizzly Bear country and as remote as you can get.

 

 

Sounds awesome. What part of the country? Grizzly territory narrows it down some but are you in the lower 48?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb
On 3/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, Rlee said:

I bought a new trail camera and as soon as a little more snow melts I am setting up in a area I have had a lot of animal traffic.

I have a alpine trip  planned which involves a lengthy jeep trip with about 10 miles of hiking at the end. There is a winter cabin there I could overnight in and has been some reported unusual activity by the locals.  It is Grizzly Bear country and as remote as you can get.

 

 

Wow,  now that is right up my alley. I've always wanted to adventure into the backwoods in an area where there are grizzly or brown bear.  It sounds like you are putting yourself in exactly the right place to have an experience. Did you choose this particular location due to reports, published or otherwise, of activity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlee

I live in lower B.C. Canada.

The area I am going into is one I have been before but not for many years so it has been on my adventure list for awhile.  The mountain Range is large and any sighting there is from years ago but it doesn't get any traffic in the summer and you just have to put yourself out there don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MIB

I don't know what spring brings.   Likely not too much.   My spots are above 6000 feet and have 5-7 feet of snow right now.   In past years the bigfoots don't seem to appear 'til later August and I see no reason that will change this year.   I would like to hike in as soon as the snow is off and put up cameras in a couple new "sub-spots" I have located within the 5-6 mile diameter area I've focused on.    The camp visitor the 2nd night in 2011 came up a ridge which leads right to the swamp which seems to be the bullseye, center of mass for all activity.   I want to put up a camera on that ridge and another in a small meadow just off of the ridge.   Both are a couple miles off trail where people just don't go.    If I can get that done early, then I want to spend later June and all of July near that area, but not in it, looking to see if I can figure out where the BFs come from before they arrive, then repeat that in late September and October to see if I can figure out where they are going to when they leave.   I would like to be able to pattern their annual travel so I can focus in the right places at each point in the year.

 

Yep, you do just have to put yourself out there.   What a great place to be, though, even without bigfoots.

 

MIB

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wiiawiwb

MIB, it's like a puzzle.  Not sure it is a migration to and from the 6,000' area but it certainly has seasonal patterns and they are coming from some place.  If you can start to identify one piece at a time, you could put together the puzzle's picture which could provide a year round opportunity to follow them as they move about. Good luck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot

All of our outings have been on hold due to the recent CV 19 scare.  Work has pretty much consumed my time lately... barely been able to jump on the forum.  Hopefully, things will normalize soon.  

 

Itching to get out there into the woods again!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MIB
On 3/13/2020 at 1:21 AM, wiiawiwb said:

MIB, it's like a puzzle.  Not sure it is a migration to and from the 6,000' area but it certainly has seasonal patterns and they are coming from some place.  If you can start to identify one piece at a time, you could put together the puzzle's picture which could provide a year round opportunity to follow them as they move about. Good luck.

 

True enough.   The problem is seemingly conflicting patterns.    There appear to be multiple patterns / pathways converging on that place at that time of year; likewise, there appear to be multiple pathways / patterns leaving there.   Whether it is the same group coming and going on different routes on different years or whether it is a place that multiple groups choose to converge / mingle .. heck if I know but my suspicion is it is the latter.    If it occurred earlier in the season I think a lot of people would know about it, it lies on a major backpacking route, but by that time of year, the through hikers must be long gone, either far north if northbound or far south if southbound if they are to complete their trek in a single season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster
On 3/21/2020 at 7:07 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

All of our outings have been on hold due to the recent CV 19 scare.......

 

My spring and summer are also either screwed up or on hold now. Fish camp in June is now cancelled, but spring bear baiting is looking like a go. That is top quality sequestering. That would likely start late this year due to the cold winter with lots of snow, so I'll probably head out to set the bait @ May 10th. 

 

An ice fishing trip might be possible in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking northern pike for @ 4 days.

 

Or I could just hunker down and get all my chores done. The pickup has some bodywork and paint work I could do. I'm almost all caught up on everything else since I got back from Califunny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
2 hours ago, Huntster said:

 

My spring and summer are also either screwed up or on hold now. Fish camp in June is now cancelled, but spring bear baiting is looking like a go. That is top quality sequestering. That would likely start late this year due to the cold winter with lots of snow, so I'll probably head out to set the bait @ May 10th. 

 

An ice fishing trip might be possible in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking northern pike for @ 4 days.

 

Or I could just hunker down and get all my chores done. The pickup has some bodywork and paint work I could do. I'm almost all caught up on everything else since I got back from Califunny.

I am working more than usual.  Trying to balance job security and safety for my employees.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716

I'm out of work until at least April 27th, as nd I think that's being optimistic. Lots of time for squatching, but I'm afraid to soend any money fixing my truck when I may be trying to live on unemployment and under-employment for months. Who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cmknight
13 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

I'm out of work until at least April 27th, as nd I think that's being optimistic. Lots of time for squatching, but I'm afraid to soend any money fixing my truck when I may be trying to live on unemployment and under-employment for months. Who knows? 

 

I hear ya!! My employment insurance will cover my rent, but I stand a good chance of having utilities cut off and my truck repo'd.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...