2021 Bronco

norseman

Broncos are cool and have versatility.  I like the Range Rover Defender (2020). It's got plenty of power and is a sweet ride.

ranger.png

Edited by Arvedis

I'm liking the two-door model with 7-speed manual transmission. Lots of off-road capability. I guess that means I can't get the "Sasquatch package" as it only comes with the automatic 10-speed model.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a33300395/2021-ford-bronco-sasquatch-package-explained/

How do you think the two-door model will compare to the Wrangler two-door?

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm liking the two-door model with 7-speed manual transmission. Lots of off-road capability. I guess that means I can't get the "Sasquatch package" as it only comes with the automatic 10-speed model.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a33300395/2021-ford-bronco-sasquatch-package-explained/

How do you think the two-door model will compare to the Wrangler two-door?

It’s a 100 inch wheel base. That’s comparable.

Its a IFS front end. Which will ride nicer than a Jeep on road and not as durable off road. (CV joints and third member vs. u joints and solid axle)

My Rubicon had death wobble. Not asking for a ride of a Cadillac with a Jeep.....but holy cow. Not cool. Jeep never fixed the problem after thousands of dollars. The vehicle was bought used at 25k. Now I know why it was for sale. More modern Jeeps have supposedly fixed the problem.

IMO. If your buying a Rubicon model Jeep with Dana 44 locking axles front and rear? That’s the most capable factory rig on the planet for slow trails and rock crawling. Axles are King on trails. They take the abuse. A Dodge power wagon would be a second.

But if your gonna do more fire roads at higher speeds. Or go bombing out through the desert? IFS is what those guys run. Think trophy trucks. Raptors. Toyota. Etc. It’s a plusher ride.

12 hours ago, norseman said:

I hear you. KISS principle.

But the older I get? The lumbar and heated seats feels nice on the back. AC. Sat radio. Navigation. Doesn’t ride like a buck board. Etc, etc. 

I hear you back, I miss my Discovery II for those reasons. A posh ride with all the amenities and solid axles. Once the self leveling air suspension system was yanked and +2" HD coils put all around it was good to go (because the benefits of self leveler/push button extra 1.5" of clearance somehow outweighs the risk the rear dropping to its bump stops WHEN the compressor fails?!?)--13mpg though, eeesshhh.  @Arvedis It will be interesting to see how the Defender and Bronco compare. I've not been thrilled with Tata's emasculation of Land Rover, maybe it's a payback for colonization and the fracture of the Indian soul....As they say "the look of Honda, the reliability of Land Rover." Now they are built in Brazil, China, India, Slovakia and some still in the UK. For a country that conquered half the globe, it's amazing how poorly they did the electrics. Hope Tata has vastly improved on that with all the gizmos.

In the end, old Land Rovers make for more attentive drivers---no built in computers to fiddle with, can't hear the radio or passenger nor talk on a cellphone. With absolutely no safety features outside of belts and only the light frame/thin skin of Birmabright, accidents are easily more fatal-- all of that road noise reminds one of that.

Edited by Kiwakwe

To be fair Land Rovers were basically WW2-era Willey's knockoffs.  My wife drives a RR Evoque and it is a great little car but I admit to be exoecting a multi-thousand dollar repair bill any day now. 

2 hours ago, NCBFr said:

To be fair Land Rovers were basically WW2-era Willey's knockoffs.  My wife drives a RR Evoque and it is a great little car but I admit to be exoecting a multi-thousand dollar repair bill any day now. 

IIRC, the prototype was built upon a Willey's chassis. Yep, I'm sorry for your impending loss.

3 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

In the end, old Land Rovers make for more attentive drivers---no built in computers to fiddle with, can't hear the radio or passenger nor talk on a cellphone. With absolutely no safety features outside of belts and only the light frame/thin skin of Birmabright, accidents are easily more fatal-- all of that road noise reminds one of that.

For sure. I get the same nostalgia driving an old Toyota land cruiser.  I have surrendered to modern comforts of driving though not a fan of computerized vehicles.

• Like 1

Hmmm, maybe hold out for the 2022 Ineos Grenadier. BMW Gas or diesel engine option and beam axles. A cross between a Mercedes G Wagon and a LR Defender by a new manufacturer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJguNBmlvuo

Screen_Shot_2020-07-16_at_11_53.06_PM.thumb.png.e7a13abb5255cef9e45b985009a7708a.png

On 7/15/2020 at 11:40 PM, Arvedis said:

Broncos are cool and have versatility.  I like the Range Rover Defender (2020). It's got plenty of power and is a sweet ride.

ranger.png

I need to look at this car. And also, kudos on the cool avatar.

i am hearing they have pre-orders over 88k for the new bronco as of yesterday.  The Bronco will be produced on the same assembly as the new ranger, but it will probably replace most of the production in a short time.  Launch was pushed back about 8 weeks with the covid lock down from the original plan

Admin

Jeep strikes back with a Hemi 392 V8.  485HP / 500+ ft-lb torque. There is a whole industry swapping V8s into Jeeps, it costs $20k and they can't do it fast enough to meet the demand.

https _hypebeast.com_image_2020_07_jeep-v8-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept-suv-release-closer-look-ford-bronco-1.jpg