Nighttime Sound Question

Tylo

I"m wondering if some of you can anwer a question about nighttime sounds.  Up until early Monday AM I heard the usual night sounds from frogs and insects.  There had been a car accident at 1:30 AM Monday and I was awake for a few more hours after it, sat outside and watched Katydids and heard frogs and other insects.  For the past two nights it has been dead silent.  I've been having trouble sleeping so I am awake past midnight and for the last two nights there have been no sounds.  The first night I actually thought I had gone deaf/something was wrong with my hearing (nothing wrong) as I sat by the open window reading and there was absolute silence.  We've had 90+ degrees during the day, the night is still pretty warm but I usually hear insects humming and frogs. Even in recent years with above average heat I hear insects at night.  Does anyone know why this happens? We had rain a few days ago, we're not having a drought.  It really was so quiet it made me think I was deaf at first.  So strange.  Anyone know why?  

any other clues at all?  You don't mention if this is a suspected area of BF activity. Dead silence in the woods is something common in paranormal reports. Comes up occasionally with BF sightings.

Admin

I have had this happen to me on a number of occasions, however, in my case, they only lasted for a couple of minutes, if that. I do not ascribe any of them to BF, the paranormal, or other "unnatural" event. But I do not know what caused them. I just chalk it up to the normal ebb and flow of the forest. 

When it happens, the thought does cross my mind though.... 

Hi, Arvedis!  A tricky question for me to answer.  I can say that since 2015 there seems to have been stick/branch/tree manipulation on this property.  All completely baffling.  So it's possible.  It was just a strange thing, there was no air movement so no rustling of leaves.  Only two nights before lots of insect noises. At the very least I usually hear a cricket. It was just so weird I really thought I had gone deaf.  I even went into the kitchen where I heard the refrigerator and then I got on the internet and played a video to test my hearing.  You know, just today I noticed a large branch from my Catalpa is now resting on the edge of my roof, I can walk under it.  It wasn't like that a few days ago.  

Thanks VAfooter!  It certainly is unusual!  I don't recall it happening before and I am usually up late at night.  It was just odd.  HA!  I may need to call the local extension office for an answer.  Of course, they've not been very good with the entomology/herpetology questions.  They're very good with Johnson grass!  : )