Breeding season for these creatures

Guest Warren

SSR Team
On 7/15/2020 at 11:17 PM, NatFoot said:

Very interesting. May be a stupid question, but are you guys detailing these finds elsewhere? Would love to read more!

Check out "Interview 1" here NatFoot..;)

Shane does this interview with a PowerPoint presentation which gives you a lot of info..;)

On 7/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, ShadowBorn said:

It all depends on how long for the mother to give birth. But my guess would that the mother might give birth by fall or even in the summer.  Like I have said before there have been times that I have smelt this sweet flower smell that I cannot explain during hunting season. I have smelt this in heavy brush areas where i could not get into. The smell is very hard to describe but made me feel very at ease. I felt very comfortable around it. So could they be mating in the beginning of winter and giving birth in spring?

Seems likely to be something in nature like huckleberry or chamomile. I would not bet on any BF smells being anything other than revolting.

Edited by Arvedis

SSR Team
On 7/17/2020 at 2:59 AM, ShadowBorn said:

It all depends on how long for the mother to give birth. But my guess would that the mother might give birth by fall or even in the summer.  Like I have said before there have been times that I have smelt this sweet flower smell that I cannot explain during hunting season. I have smelt this in heavy brush areas where i could not get into. The smell is very hard to describe but made me feel very at ease. I felt very comfortable around it. So could they be mating in the beginning of winter and giving birth in spring?

That would be a pretty short gestation period shadow i would think.

Humans 9 months

Gorilla 8.5 months

Chimpanzee 8 months

Orang 8.5 months

Sasquatch ?

@BobbyO

My guess is that they are giving birth in the summer. That would place them of making their babies by mid winter. Again I am just guessing but they would have to have their babies by the next winter and ready for the harsh weather.. If they are living in caves they still have to be ready. I am not sure if some of these caves are that warm during the winter. The other thing is that they migrate down south where it is warm when they do have babies. 

Depending on how far in one goes into a cave the ambient temperature can be 55 degrees.  Bat colonies are very selective when it comes to cave temperature to help them maintain their state of winter torpor. That's important because bats only pack on about a pat of butter worth of fat to get them through the winter until insects start to fly in Spring. Also they seek out caves with warmer temperatures for nurseries to help keep the proper temperatures for birthing and, afterwards, their young.

One could also surmise that caves and lava tubes around places like Mount Saint Helens could be even warmer because of the natural geophysical activity underground? Monkeys in Japan also take advantage of hot springs in winter. So why not BF's?

Edited by hiflier

Bc BF aren't just around volcanic areas and don't always live in areas where "migrating south" is even possible.

:rolleyes:

SSR Team
1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

@BobbyO

My guess is that they are giving birth in the summer. That would place them of making their babies by mid winter. Again I am just guessing but they would have to have their babies by the next winter and ready for the harsh weather.. If they are living in caves they still have to be ready. I am not sure if some of these caves are that warm during the winter. The other thing is that they migrate down south where it is warm when they do have babies. 

Animals in the north may need to do that and focus on giving birth in summer,  it could be the other way round for animals in the south though as the heat down there could become an issue in the summer months.

I'm not hooked on the 'they migrate south' theory yet either, i think there's so much to consider where that's concerned and it's in no way a sure thing.

6 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Bc BF aren't just around volcanic areas and don't always live in areas where "migrating south" is even possible.

:rolleyes:

Good point but I didn't mean for what I said to be taken as a general viewpoint where The Bigfoot is concerned. I do think they absolutely use caves as opportunists, though.

SSR Team
11 hours ago, hiflier said:

Good point but I didn't mean for what I said to be taken as a general viewpoint where The Bigfoot is concerned. I do think they absolutely use caves as opportunists, though.

I remember reading about them using caves/a cave system in the Glacier View Wilderness near Mt Rainier on the BFRO, that's always stuck with me as it's where one of the hikes i want to do is.

• Upvote 1

Oh wow, BobbyO, I hope you get there! It's been on my bucket list as well but past years have seen a lot of wildfire smoke and last year we toured Eastern Canada. Now THAT was an experience I'll never forget because we were on Prince Edward Island when hurricane Dorian roared through the Canadian Maritimes and right over our heads. What a ride! Our little 16 ft. trailer was rocking pretty good behind a windbreak of good strong trees. We succeeded in getting no sleep and 2:00 am was the worst when the wind wrapped around to broadside us. PEI had closed the bridge to the mainland (New Brunswick) to high profile vehicles. But our tiny house didn't get turned into a soccer ball, I think because I had kept it attached to the truck with it's stabilizer bars on- AND because we were just plain lucky so...here I am :) 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BobbyO said:

I'm not hooked on the 'they migrate south' theory yet either, i think there's so much to consider where that's concerned and it's in no way a sure thing.

Yeah.   Northern Rockies have BF reports.   "South", for practical purposes, has to be upwards of 1000 miles, otherwise they're still in snow with seriously sub-zero temperatures.   I don't think that's too realistic.  I think they are physically adapted to cold and compound that with seasonal behavioral adaptations.   The east slope of the Cascades has winter temperatures not too dissimilar from the foothills of the Rockies.   The east slope of the Cascades is active in winter.   Same for the Rockies.   The challenge for humans is getting into the right places during very very cold temperatures with deep snow to stumble across the sign that is there.   

MIB

• Upvote 2

Animals learn from their parents and elders. Especially primates. I doubt many if any BF's ever get caught in a bad seasonal situation that would result in their demise. Centuries of adaptation to locales that work best for survival keeps all but the weakest alive.

• Like 1

SSR Team
20 hours ago, MIB said:

Yeah.   Northern Rockies have BF reports.   "South", for practical purposes, has to be upwards of 1000 miles, otherwise they're still in snow with seriously sub-zero temperatures.   I don't think that's too realistic.  I think they are physically adapted to cold and compound that with seasonal behavioral adaptations.   The east slope of the Cascades has winter temperatures not too dissimilar from the foothills of the Rockies.   The east slope of the Cascades is active in winter.   Same for the Rockies.   The challenge for humans is getting into the right places during very very cold temperatures with deep snow to stumble across the sign that is there.   

MIB

Completely agree MIB, with all. I think there's more geographical zones/areas in North America where they wouldn't have the need to migrate south in the ind of range they'd need to, than not.

Winter reports for Eastern Washington on the whole for example run virtually parallel to Spring reports there at 19 and 21 reports respectively.

When you look at and combine the likes of Idaho, Montana, the Dakota's, Minnesota Wisconsin and northern Illinois, you'll find close to 100 reports (87) in Winter. That's not overly indicative of large scale winter migration.

The county that pops out when running the numbers on the above and with the most reports out of all counties in the above mentioned states is Cascade County, MT.

Anywhere in MT is absurdly cold in Winter but when you actually dig in to the numbers (yes i know i'm obsessed by them) you can find some interesting things as to 'why ?' things are what they are, such as the below.

• January has the coldest nighttime temperatures for Cascade County with an average of 15.7°. This is warmer than most places in Montana.
  • In Cascade County, there are 161.9 days annually when the nighttime low temperature falls below freezing, which is warmer than most places in Montana.
  • An annual snowfall of 59.9 inches in Cascade County means that it is snowier than most places in Montana. March is the snowiest month in Cascade County with 11.0 inches of snow, and 9 months of the year have significant snowfall.

Yes there are reports from other all other seasons in Cascade County, MT but you won't find too many other county's in North America where there is such a clear concentrated number of reports from Winter like that one. 44% of all reports from winter in a single county is nothing to be sniffed at, especially when summer is at 22%, Fall is at 22% and Spring is at 11%.

It's the 'why ?' that is the main question, and the answer to that coincides perfectly with your last sentence..;)

• Upvote 1