Freeze dried food / MRE's

NorthWind

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Thank you folks. Extra oil packs are a good idea for sure. I'll find a little squeeze bottle and add it to my outdoor kitchen. Could come in handy for other things as well. 

Another really good option is to go to farmer’s markets and buy canned food. Canned as in canning Ball jars. Not tin.

4 hours ago, JKH said:

Is there a set time for the sales, like end of summer? I visited the MH website and a lot of stuff is sold out right now. I could eat some of their stuff fairly often, but SHOULD I is the question. Hence the DIY.

September is when they typically have their biggest sales. I've seen as much as 40% off. That may not happen this year, as the demand for their products has been very high due to virus (and possibly other) concerns. They've sold out of a lot, so I don't see them running any steep discounts anytime soon.

Edited by TC Lowside
spelling
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, norseman said:

Another really good option is to go to farmer’s markets and buy canned food. Canned as in canning Ball jars. Not tin.

A good thought. But two problems with that (for me). The first is that glass - for my purposes - is a bit too fragile (and heavy) in most cases. The second, and largest hurdle for me, is dealing with the patchouli-wearing malodorous throngs that seem to gravitate to them. You know - the ones who you never see at the soap vendors' booths.

This dude does not abide. :nono:

Edited by NorthWind

3 hours ago, NorthWind said:

A good thought. But two problems with that (for me). The first is that glass - for my purposes - is a bit too fragile (and heavy) in most cases. The second, and largest hurdle for me, is dealing with the patchouli-wearing malodorous throngs that seem to gravitate to them. You know - the ones who you never see at the soap vendors' booths.

This dude does not abide. :nono:

No no.... you hear banjos at the ones over here. Although the lack of soap may still be a problem.... instead of patchouli oil you will probably smell a combination of sweat, manure, smoke and beer. 😜

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Peak Refuel seems to have very good reviews, and a much higher protein content than most other brands. Haven't tried it yet but I did just put in an order a few days ago.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Peak Refuel seems to have very good reviews, and a much higher protein content than most other brands. Haven't tried it yet but I did just put in an order a few days ago.

Pro hunting! I WILL be giving these guys a try!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 PM, langfordbc said:

Was camping last week and I tried the Homestyle Chicken & Rice as well as Beef Stroganoff. I'm not typically a fan of Beef Stroganoff but the sauce had a parmesan taste to it that I liked. The beef pieces stayed a little crunchy. The Chicken and Rice wasn't overly salty and it is superior to the Mountain House version. I will buy both again.I still have the Chicken Pesto Pasta and Chicken Teriyaki Rice to try.

While I haven't tried a lot of freeze-dried food, I thought that both were decent, and would recommend them.

Strog_web_8f02a995-318e-415b-88c4-fef7b5b28d26_800x.jpg

Creamy_Chicken_web_800x.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, LBC. I see those are sold out on their site at present. Still waiting on the Mountain House sale. I saw another brand's version of hash browns, interesting except for the price, $15 for one serving, yikes. I can make my own with dried potatoes, onion, pepper, bacon, etc. Also bought some butter powder (keto!) at my fave discount store.

I got my smoker and smoked a couple pounds of salmon and shrimp yesterday. Not bad, need to fine tune the recipe a bit. Don't think I love the wood blend I got. It surely does smell strong and I can see how nearby critters would have to investigate.

Edited by JKH

In the Canadian Military, we had two go-to suppliers for IMP's, "Freddy Chef", and an American manufacturer, "The Wornick Company". These are boil-in-a-bag type IMP's, and provide approximately 3200 calories per day.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...